Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

romanaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
I've googled and searched for the past hour and I can't find anyone with a similar issue to mine.

So just a few days ago, my 430ex II decided that it would stop letting me go into the menu on my 40D and change flash settings. I'm now getting the error message "this menu cannot be displayed. Incompatible flash or flashes power is turned off."

Now, I know I can't access and change all of it via the menu, but I'm curious as to why it now won't let me? Does anyone else have or had this issue? Would it be dirty connections? I don't think so, since it still fires the flash no problem.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I've googled and searched for the past hour and I can't find anyone with a similar issue to mine.

So just a few days ago, my 430ex II decided that it would stop letting me go into the menu on my 40D and change flash settings. I'm now getting the error message "this menu cannot be displayed. Incompatible flash or flashes power is turned off."

Now, I know I can't access and change all of it via the menu, but I'm curious as to why it now won't let me? Does anyone else have or had this issue? Would it be dirty connections? I don't think so, since it still fires the flash no problem.

Have you tried accessing the menu with both the camera and the flash turned ON?

If not possible, maybe you can turn the flash and camera off, remove the flash, and then access the menu.

Finally, flash and camera off, remove the flash from the camera, remove the flash's batteries, wait a few minutes, replace the batteries with new ones, mount the flash on the camera, turn both the camera and flash ON, and see if you can access the menu.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
Have you tried to reset the camera?

I did that once after a battery died and disturbed my camera's software.

Forgot how I did it. Google it, or call Canon service.

romanaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
Have you tried to reset the camera?

I did that once after a battery died and disturbed my camera's software.

Forgot how I did it. Google it, or call Canon service.

I can give that a shot. For the other poster, I tried mostly all of that, its wierd as hell.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I can give that a shot. For the other poster, I tried mostly all of that, its wierd as hell.

To reset the camera you have to remove the main battery as well as the memory battery (a small one that looks like a coin). Does you camera have one of these? My 40D does, I believe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.