Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jodders

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
hi all

I recently purchased a canon 450D and love it. Its brilliant, I have small problem though in accessing my 8GB card without having to go through iphoto. Going through iphoto i think also decreases the size of the pictures which I dont want. Is there a program that I can use for the mac where i can access the pictures but dont have to go through iphoto?

When I plug my canon into my computer, i half expect a box a "removable drive to appear" but nothing. :(

Can you help? I want to submit a photo for an exhibition and the quality of the pic is too small.

Thanks
J

P.S Sorry if in wrong forum

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Hmm.

I have a Rebel XT (350D) and when I hook it up I get a drive on the desktop...you should get that if the card is properly formatted, as far as I know.

Also, as far as I know iPhoto does not automatically resize photos, though it might display them at different sizes.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I use Image Capture instead of of iPhoto to download the photos from my Canon A710. It should already be in the applications folder on your computer.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
hi all

I recently purchased a canon 450D and love it. Its brilliant, I have small problem though in accessing my 8GB card without having to go through iphoto. Going through iphoto i think also decreases the size of the pictures which I dont want. Is there a program that I can use for the mac where i can access the pictures but dont have to go through iphoto?

First, iPhoto definitely, absolutely does NOT change the size of your photos, not unless you go through some effort to make it do so and even then only the size of the exported photo is changed.

Ok, if you don't like iPhoto then use "Image Capture".

Or if you don't like Image Capture just get a USB card read and drag the files over using Finder.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Or if you don't like Image Capture just get a USB card read and drag the files over using Finder.
Ouch, that's a pain. Since I use a Mac, I prefer not having too many folders, last time I'm on Windows, I have loads loads of folders. I wonder why though.

Oh yea, so its perfectly safe to say that iPhoto will not modify your photo in any way from the picture size, the color and all those fancy stuff about the photo. The photo will remain like how it was taken? The picture will remain 100% the same as how it is taken?

Also, if you want to export your photo, will you need to go through the navigations or just drag the photo to finder?

doubleohseven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
iPhoto automatically starts up when I connect my Canon EOS 400D to my Mac. If you don't like iPhoto or Image Capture, you can also use EOS Utility, a program that should have came with your camera when you brought it. EOS Utility uploads the photos on to your computer and can control your Camera's settings.

GT41

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I second EOS utility. I find it works very nicely on downloading the pictures and it does the correct rotation as well. I never liked iPhoto. I actually use Adobe Bridge as my photo viewer/sorter.
As for the mounting of a drive, the 400D and later models did not mount as disk images and are only useable as cameras with camera software. Its a bit of a pain, but it prevents the average user from doing something silly. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.