Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustSomeDesignr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
Which one to buy? Purchasing one these very soon, need to know what experiences people have had with each? I would be shooting mostly portrait and some low-light photography.

turugara

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2009
Pennsylvania

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I just can't get over that they use "low light" and "Rebel" in the same sentence. Unless the AF is 10000% better than what it was with the XSi, the low light sucks.

Are you going to use video? If not, I would get the 50D, just because it is cheaper, and also the sensor in the 7D/T2i REQUIRES you use top quality glass to utilize the sensor. It is in the review that Phil Askey put out (DPREVIEW). Just putting that out there so no one tries to say I pulled that out of my ace.

Personally, I would wait. New Rebels and such are going to be announced soon IF anything, buy used. That way you can save yourself 30% at least. I would rather have a 5D over both those, as a low click used one is about the same price as a new T2i kit and 50D body.

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey
Which one to buy? Purchasing one these very soon, need to know what experiences people have had with each? I would be shooting mostly portrait and some low-light photography.

Have you handled both cameras? Handling the cameras is a very important step in the purchase. The two cameras you mention are different in size, and you may prefer one over the other.

In some ways, the T2i has better specifications than the 50D, and in some ways the 50D is the "better" camera. For me, the 50D's larger size and ergonomics (especially the wheel & joystick on the back) outweigh the spec difference (I'd buy a 7D if I could, though...).

The T2i is the newer camera, and will probably be in the lineup for a while. The 50D is getting long in the tooth, and may be on the verge of being replaced soon.

:apple::apple:

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
The T2i's sensor is similar to the 7D in its performance while the 50D is a bit older and shares the same sensor as the T1i.

the only Canon SLRs that share the same sensor are the 20D and 30D.

Canon has made large strides in high-ISO since the 50D, but that doesn't make it a slouch.

the 50D has better AF than any of the Rebels, and it has lots of ergonomic and useability benefits because of its larger design (top LCD, rear dial, joystick, larger viewfinder...). the best thing for you to do is go and play with some demo models. if nothing else, you can rule out one or the other based on size or construction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.