Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tejota1911

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
I need to make up my mind this weekend, and I'm looking for your opinions. Which is better? Which would you rather have and why? Nikon D90 vs Canon 50D. I'm not satisfied with my Nikon D60, and have a few days left to exchange it.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Well not to go against your decision or anything but what about the D60 that you are unhappy with?

And wouldn't exchanging it to a D90 or 50D requires you to pay more? Just wondering your reasons.

tejota1911

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Well not to go against your decision or anything but what about the D60 that you are unhappy with?

And wouldn't exchanging it to a D90 or 50D requires you to pay more? Just wondering your reasons.

I bought the D60 on a whim, because my wife was wanting something more advanced than her little P&S. I figured if we didn't like it we would just take it back. Once I started playing with it, I started getting the itch again(I have been out of the photography world for 10-12 years). The D60 isn't a bad camera, but I feel it's limited by the lack of an AF motor in the body, three area AF, and slower continuous shooting. Also, I like the High Res screen on the D90 & 50D. I realize the D90 & 50D cost more, but I would rather put a little more $$$ into it now, while I can still return the D60.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
first, see if you prefer one user interface over the other. if you can't stand one, then the decision's made for you. if not, look at lenses (and their price and performance), flash units, grips, etc.

you should have an idea of what you want since you've done this before, just remember to multiply the focal length by 1.5 so you know the angle-of-view you'll be getting.

tejota1911

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
first, see if you prefer one user interface over the other. if you can't stand one, then the decision's made for you. if not, look at lenses (and their price and performance), flash units, grips, etc.

you should have an idea of what you want since you've done this before, just remember to multiply the focal length by 1.5 so you know the angle-of-view you'll be getting.

Yeah, I'm fine with both interfaces, and both companies have a good selection of lenses and accessories. I am mainly trying to find out if there is a big reason to choose one over the other. The company I purchased the D60 from has the 50D in stock, but is out of the D90.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Yeah, I'm fine with both interfaces, and both companies have a good selection of lenses and accessories.

both have a good selection, but they aren't the same selection, they don't all have the same performance, and they don't cost the same. want a 100-400? none for Nikon, unless you're willing to plop down $5000 or so for the 200-400. exceptional ultra-wide-angle zoom? Canon has nothing that touches the Nikkor 14-24. Nikon has no equivalent to the Canon 85/1.2. Nikon's 24-70 is $500 or so more than Canon's. similar things up and down the respective lens lines.

then accessories: Nikon has better flash functionality, and some grips will boost the continuous shooting rate.

Canon has access to nearly all manual focus lens mounts.

and then there are nuances like color reproduction and contrast that differ between the two systems.

forget about 50D vs D90. both are great cameras, and either way you'll replace it. digital bodies aren't the same as film bodies.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
Both cameras are good, I'd personally look more into the D80 or D300 if I wasn't interested in the video mode, or the 40D for that matter.. I'd also buy a fast prime or two, at least a flash and a tripod.

tejota1911

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
get a 40d/30d or a d80. try to spend most of your money on glass.

Thanks, but I'm not interested in any of those models. I understand the reasoning, but those models aren't carried anymore by the store I'm buying from. My funds aren't dry from my camera purchase. Saving $100 on an older model, to put towards glass, isn't something I'm concerned with. Whichever camera I end up with, I will be adding some better glass, than the kit lens.

Apr 10, 2007
I have a D90 and love it, It was a upgrade from my first DSLR a canon rebel xt.

And even though the video feature is limited it is still very fun to play with.

tejota1911

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Update: Bought a D90, and kept the D60 for my wife. Thanks for the replies.

vicious1

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2004
I had the same issue

a while back. While I also opted for the D90, I opteed for it mainly because I know Nikonians that have really nice lenses that I can borrow and not many Canonians. Plus the ISO performance on the D90 is great.

One word of advice for anyone in the market for prosumer level DSLRs. If you want to buy one go to a real photography store and ask them to borrow you one of each for a day. If one doesnt try another one...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.