Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/589778/0

If the body is the same (too thick/tall) with same price as before, even incremental improvements won't make it much of a competitor to the Nikon D300, and if a FF version of the D300 comes out next year at a lower price than the current 5D w/the D3's 6400ISO & hi-gain 12 & 25k ISO modes, hi-res LCD & - that will be a 5D MkII killer/slayer. Biggest advantage the 5D has over Nikons is that it can use Canon lenses. If only there was an adapter that would seamlessly allow you to mount Canon lenses on Nikon bodies.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Wow, there's an elaborate Canon slam :rolleyes:

Last time I checked, the 5D was among the top of *any* camera body for image quality. Low noise performance and color reproduction are stellar, on right on par with the (much newer D3 and the 1Ds mkIII). I'm not so sure the D300 will be a 5D-slayer for every aspect. Using full frame over the [edit: DX] sensor size has its IQ advantages -- look where the D3 went.

Anyway, Nikon and Canon both have great offerings; with the $1800 price point of the D300, I hope Canon gets it act together and brings us a $2500 5D mkII.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The D300 with an FX sensor would be more than a Canon 5D....don't you worry about that. ;) My guess would be $3000. Also, even if it used the same body as the D300, it doesn't guarantee that everything else would be the same. Otherwise, what you're offering is a D3 in a smaller body, for a LOT cheaper. It doesn't make sense. I'm sure that if a smaller, D300-esque camera came out with a FF body, it would shoot at 4 fps and not offer the pro-level AF system. It may offer the same AF system that's in the D80 and D200, but not the D300.

The 5D has great image quality, but it's limited in what it can do. It is a stripped down full-frame camera, in a way. However, how else did you expect Canon to sell you a full frame DSLR 2 years ago? Those things aren't cheap to make, and the fact that they could even offer one is quite amazing. When the 5D MkII is released, I think it'll be cheaper than any potential D300 FX model by a lot of money.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
IMO the 5D model should just go away. It's perfectly enough to have 'a' 1-series full frame model, there does not need to be more models available.

(that said; I also think that the X00D models should be dropped or merged to the PowerShot series. the way I see it, there should only be pro series in full and lite incarnation and the rest should be p&s models.)

But maybe that's just me :p

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
... won't make it much of a competitor to the Nikon D300, and if a FF version of the D300 comes out next year at a lower price than the current 5D ...

A full-frame version of the D300, out next year??? Would you pass me some of that koolaid, please?

Seriously, that's not gonna happen. If Nikon releases anything new that's full-frame next year, it's going to be at the higher-end where they don't currently have a product. Their most likely next release is going to be an update to the D80.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
To add to my previous post...

Previously: 1 - 5 - X0
Now: 1 - X0 - X00

Would make sense to drop 5D altogether. And if Canon wanted to sell cheaper full-frame model, they could just introduce a 40Ds to avoid confusion; likewise they have 1D and 1Ds.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I'm not so sure the D300 will be a 5D-slayer for every aspect.

I think it's probably intentional (on one or both sides) that the Nikon and Canon cameras tend to be somewhat slotted in between each other's models, in terms of price/features - Nikon D40/x, Canon XTi, Nikon D80, Canon EOS 40D, Nikon D300, Canon 5D, Nikon D3, Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III. From a marketing standpoint, it gives them a little bit of wiggle-room in case they make a misstep product-wise.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I just need a Canon FF body for $2,000 or less. I don't care if it's a current 5D that gets its price bumped down by a MkII version, I just need digital full frame, NOW.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
IMO the 5D model should just go away. It's perfectly enough to have 'a' 1-series full frame model, there does not need to be more models available.

(that said; I also think that the X00D models should be dropped or merged to the PowerShot series. the way I see it, there should only be pro series in full and lite incarnation and the rest should be p&s models.)

I agree that it's annoying to have a 1Ds--1D--5D--40D--400D lineup. But, I think with the surge in the DSLR market, it makes sense to fragment the models, especially given the variance in price.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Variance in price? Surely someone not-quite-professional-but-knowledgeable-about-gear would be able to buy a 2nd hand 1-series body for a manageable price. IMO, that would be a better approach to the serve-everybody thing every company seems to be after nowadays.

Or should I dare to say: take-money-off-from-stupid-people-if-they-want-to-throw-it-away?

There are pro models and there are consumer models, period. There may sometimes be worthy in-between "prosumer" models, but it is not sane to expect companies provide multiple prosumer models at once.

As I see it, the X0D lineup is the prosumer lineup and that's it. Want pro features? Buy pro model. Simple. Maybe 5 years ago the 5D was a good model, but not today.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Or should I dare to say: take-money-off-from-stupid-people-if-they-want-to-throw-it-away?

There are pro models and there are consumer models, period. There may sometimes be worthy in-between "prosumer" models, but it is not sane to expect companies provide multiple prosumer models at once.

As I see it, the X0D lineup is the prosumer lineup and that's it. Want pro features? Buy pro model. Simple. Maybe 5 years ago the 5D was a good model, but not today.

Hmm...I guess we disagree. The definition of "pro" is also a tough spot. I know a lot of serious pros who use the 5D as their main camera. It probably depends on the field. Studio work -- sure, by a 1Ds - but for other stuff, the 5D has all the "pro" features needed.

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado

The 5D will always be in my eyes the poor mans 1Ds really and I dont mean it to sound like its a piece of crap or not worthy enough but really a FF 12.8MP camera for what $2299 now.. heck even $3299 when it came out is a damn good deal and if you dont need the 45AF points and weather sealing then the 5D is a great camera. The ONLY thing the 5D does is capitalize on 1D series body sales I mean unless you KNOW what kind of AF performance and sealing you need then it really steals away from 1D body sales.. I think the 5D was always kind of that red headed step child of the line, sure people love him all around the neighborhood and what not but the rest of the family hates him :p

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
Variance in price? Surely someone not-quite-professional-but-knowledgeable-about-gear would be able to buy a 2nd hand 1-series body for a manageable price. IMO, that would be a better approach to the serve-everybody thing every company seems to be after nowadays.

So you think Canon (and presumably Nikon) should stop making the 5 or 6 different models they make now, and have the 40D and 1 series bodies? How is that good for the consumer? And how does people buying the right camera for their needs make them stupid?

I have a 5D, and I'm VERY happy with it. I don't want a 1Ds MKII because its HUGELY expensive (even used their still $4500) and I don't want a camera body that big for the majority of the photography I do. However, I do like having a full frame camera, and the IQ that comes along with it. I like that my lenses can all be used the same whether I'm shooting digital or film.

The same goes for the 40D's out there too. Many wildlife photographers like the narrowed field of view that the smaller sensor gives them, and need the extra speed, but don't want to shell out $2500+ for a used 1D MKII.

I really can't see how what you're suggesting is at all beneficial to consumers.

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us

If the body is the same (too thick/tall) with same price as before, even incremental improvements won't make it much of a competitor to the Nikon D300, and if a FF version of the D300 comes out next year at a lower price than the current 5D w/the D3's 6400ISO & hi-gain 12 & 25k ISO modes, hi-res LCD & - that will be a 5D MkII killer/slayer. Biggest advantage the 5D has over Nikons is that it can use Canon lenses. If only there was an adapter that would seamlessly allow you to mount Canon lenses on Nikon bodies.

Seriously, this post is speculation based on speculation and argued with speculation. Nikon *JUST* released a full frame body, and they *JUST* released the D300, and you're saying that the next D300 will be a full frame "5D MKII Killer"... a camera that doesn't even exist yet. What is the point of this post?

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
So you think Canon (and presumably Nikon) should stop making the 5 or 6 different models they make now, and have the 40D and 1 series bodies? How is that good for the consumer? And how does people buying the right camera for their needs make them stupid?

I have a 5D, and I'm VERY happy with it. I don't want a 1Ds MKII because its HUGELY expensive (even used their still $4500) and I don't want a camera body that big for the majority of the photography I do. However, I do like having a full frame camera, and the IQ that comes along with it. I like that my lenses can all be used the same whether I'm shooting digital or film.

The same goes for the 40D's out there too. Many wildlife photographers like the narrowed field of view that the smaller sensor gives them, and need the extra speed, but don't want to shell out $2500+ for a used 1D MKII.

I really can't see how what you're suggesting is at all beneficial to consumers.

QFT!:)

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

I don't think a FF D300 is going to be out for another 2 years at the least... Nikon still needs a higher rez FX body to compete. As for the D300 beating the 5D... it's touch and go on that idea. It would depend on what you want in the body and the image quality.

The D300 with an FX sensor would be more than a Canon 5D....don't you worry about that. ;) My guess would be $3000. Also, even if it used the same body as the D300, it doesn't guarantee that everything else would be the same. Otherwise, what you're offering is a D3 in a smaller body, for a LOT cheaper. It doesn't make sense. I'm sure that if a smaller, D300-esque camera came out with a FF body, it would shoot at 4 fps and not offer the pro-level AF system. It may offer the same AF system that's in the D80 and D200, but not the D300.

The 5D has great image quality, but it's limited in what it can do. It is a stripped down full-frame camera, in a way. However, how else did you expect Canon to sell you a full frame DSLR 2 years ago? Those things aren't cheap to make, and the fact that they could even offer one is quite amazing. When the 5D MkII is released, I think it'll be cheaper than any potential D300 FX model by a lot of money.

Agree. The 5D in my opinion has the best IQ in it's class, and it's the cheapest FF camera you can buy, but I don't consider it worth the cash. Canon put their best tech in the body, then stripped it down compared to the 1D MK IIn. Even the 1Ds MK II has missing features like an electronic shutter and good flash sync. And for many PJ and some wedding photogs anything less than 5fps is slow.

A FX D300 wouldn't limit the tech thought... they didn't do it with the D200 and D80 that much. The AF was a different model and a bit slower, but it was still very accurate and speedy for both models. The only places where the D200 AF failed in my opinion was in focus tracking, and the D80 failed in low light and focus tracking.

To add to my previous post...

Previously: 1 - 5 - X0
Now: 1 - X0 - X00

Would make sense to drop 5D altogether. And if Canon wanted to sell cheaper full-frame model, they could just introduce a 40Ds to avoid confusion; likewise they have 1D and 1Ds.

I don't think the 5D is going anywhere. As far as FF bodies go it's king, and well worth the cash if you are looking for FF and a body that isn't as large as the 1Ds.

I think Canon should kill off their smaller than Nikon's DX sensor size. 1.6x is tiny, and kills any argument that DX is dead, or that FF is king. Canon has done a wonderful job at cramming 10 million diodes on a sensor that's even tinier than Nikons. I would have liked to see Canon redesign the mirror box on the 40D to fit the 1D MK III sensor which is at 1.3x.

Then they could have put in it in their Rebel and probably taken a lot of flame from Nikon's consumer sales.

Hmm...I guess we disagree. The definition of "pro" is also a tough spot. I know a lot of serious pros who use the 5D as their main camera. It probably depends on the field. Studio work -- sure, by a 1Ds - but for other stuff, the 5D has all the "pro" features needed.

Agreed. Many pros use consumer gear because it's becoming good at what it does. The D80 is a wonderful body, and there are a few pros that have taken to it because it's small, it uses SD which can fit in the Express Card slot on MBPs, and because it offers better JPG images than the D2xs and D200, which take better RAW images. There is a National Geographic photog that shoots with 3 D80s because the D200 was too large, as were the CF cards that he had to carry.

The 5D will always be in my eyes the poor mans 1Ds really and I dont mean it to sound like its a piece of crap or not worthy enough but really a FF 12.8MP camera for what $2299 now.. heck even $3299 when it came out is a damn good deal and if you dont need the 45AF points and weather sealing then the 5D is a great camera. The ONLY thing the 5D does is capitalize on 1D series body sales I mean unless you KNOW what kind of AF performance and sealing you need then it really steals away from 1D body sales.. I think the 5D was always kind of that red headed step child of the line, sure people love him all around the neighborhood and what not but the rest of the family hates him :p

I agree with you, but I don't think many of the buyers of the 5D consider it a poor mans 1Ds. I don't know how Canon can get away with selling an $8000 body with the feature set it has, and the only thing that somewhat justifies the price is the FF sensor. I think that many pro photogs would go for the 5D just because it gives them what they want at a good price, a FF sensor for $3200 at intro, now it's about $2300 - $2500. I could get an entire system based around a single 5D and 40D for $8000.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
A full-frame version of the D300, out next year??? Would you pass me some of that koolaid, please?

Seriously, that's not gonna happen. If Nikon releases anything new that's full-frame next year, it's going to be at the higher-end where they don't currently have a product. Their most likely next release is going to be an update to the D80.

Rumor has it that there's FX and DX prototypes out in the field that may be released next year. The D3 and D300 are their "high end" at the moment (well, starting on the 30th for the D3)- but really there's no predicting (as the D300 should have told us) what Nikon is going to do next- even with intelligence on the pre-production field testing units.

The long and short of it is that this is a fantastic time to be in the DSLR market, as the competition means more innovation and better equipment.

I've seen two people who can fairly reliably predict Nikon's moves because of their sources- neither of them has chimed in yet on the predicted next Nikon and I think both of them got the release date wrong on the D300/D3...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.