Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
Anyone ever seen chromatic aberration on the said lens like this? The attached file is a 1:1 crop of a region. Regions of his shirt are clipped, but that's a sensor issue. Chromatic aberrations are a lens issue, right?

Attachments

• chromaber.jpg
    chromaber.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 293

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I don't have the IS version but I see a tiny amount of CA in extreme light conditions with mine if focus is not right on. That looks pretty soft...

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Looks more like purple fringing to me. This is not purely chromatic aberration and has more to do with the sensor (blooming, etc.) There is disagreement among the photography community as to what exactly causes purple fringing.

Happens when there is an "overexposed" area right next to an underexposed area (i.e. areas of high contrast). The purple fringing goes down if you use a UV filter and keep the f-number at f/4 or higher.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Anyone ever seen chromatic aberration on the said lens like this? The attached file is a 1:1 crop of a region. Regions of his shirt are clipped, but that's a sensor issue. Chromatic aberrations are a lens issue, right?

Looks to me like an image processing artifact. Where you shooting JPG format? I think it has to do with Bayer interpolation across the white/black boundary. If this is a raw image it would be good to see if other raw processors have the same problem.

If it were a lens issue then the fringing would have been in a radial direction away from the center point of the image. This follows the line and is either a sensor or image processing artifact.

jwt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
The image was shot in RAW. I shoot a lot of landscapes this was the first time I've ever seen purple fringing on this lens. My 17-85 USM IS does it all the time, and that's why I don't use it much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.