Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harrycobbold

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
I've got a Canon EOS 7D and when I go to connect the camera to iPhoto to get the photos off the camera I have various levels of success, sometimes it connects and downloads like a dream, others it just doesn't even show up on my Mac :confused: Is this because I've got a dodgy cable or has anyone else had similar problems?

Thanks Harry :apple:

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I had a thread on a related topic a while ago. It seemed that using the cable to connect to the computer can present issues that using a card reader doesn't. If I recall, the 7D uses a CF card. I know it has an 18 MP sensor. It may just be overloading the USB. Most of the posters in my thread said they used FireWire 800 CF readers.

Dale

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Use memory card reader (USB 2.0 should be fast enough, unless you are using Extreme IV or similar cards). I would also use something better than iPhoto. iPhoto converts everything to 8-bit JPEG, defeating much of the benefits of 7D's 14-bit RAW files.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
Use memory card reader (USB 2.0 should be fast enough, unless you are using Extreme IV or similar cards). I would also use something better than iPhoto. iPhoto converts everything to 8-bit JPEG, defeating much of the benefits of 7D's 14-bit RAW files.

iPhoto doesn't convert everything to 8-bit jpegs - although that is it's default output, it doesn't change the original files.

Anyway, I have a 7D and I use iPhoto. I found that it can sometimes 'not connect', often when I have it plugged in and THEN open iPhoto. It seems to have little issue if I plug it in while iPhoto is open. Maybe that will help.

harrycobbold

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Anyway, I have a 7D and I use iPhoto. I found that it can sometimes 'not connect', often when I have it plugged in and THEN open iPhoto. It seems to have little issue if I plug it in while iPhoto is open. Maybe that will help.

Seems to do the trick, much appreciated
Harry
:D:apple:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
iPhoto doesn't convert everything to 8-bit jpegs - although that is it's default output, it doesn't change the original files.
I realize iPhoto leaves the original file intact, but doesn't it convert all RAW to JPEG on-the-fly? When making modifications to the photo, aren't you in fact modifying converted JPEG, not the original RAW? At least that what it feels like when playing with exposure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.