Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Hi,

I recently was given a Canon A-1 and a small collection of Canon FD lenses and a Canon EOS 650. I am baffled by the A-1, and it also has a sticky shutter. I was wondering, if there is an adaptor that exists that would allow me to use the FD lenses on the EOS mount? Also is there anyway to fix the shutter on the A-1, and can anyone give me any information on how to operate it?

Thank you!

Don

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
There was an adaptor but it's rare and expensive. It includes optical elements I believe. Essentially, you're out of luck.

If the A-1 is broken I would probably pick up an alternative body (ebay, camera shop?) and just use the lenses on that. Those FD lenses are probably pretty good. What have you got?

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Adorama sells an FD lens to EOS body adapter, but it breaks all metering and autoexposure functions and acts as a 1.3x TC with a correcting optic that compromises IQ (in other words, probably not worth it).

A-1 was a revolutionary camera in its time. In fact, I think it's 30 years old this year. Too bad it's giving you problems. Have you shot any film with it? Is it exposing correctly?

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
No I haven't shot any film with it, but I can tell just by firing it that the shutter is kind of slow and sticky. I'll go and get some film tomorrow and take a few shots and get it developed.

The lenses that I have are:

Canon zoom lens FD 70-210mm 1:4

Canon Lens FD 50mm 1:1.8

Canon Lens FD 24mm 1:2.8

I really have no idea if they are really any good. I just started with SLR's and I have only shot digital. Any tips would be welcome.

Thanks!

Don

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
No I haven't shot any film with it, but I can tell just by firing it that the shutter is kind of slow and sticky....

How do you know the shutter is "sticky"? What shutter speed are you using for your tests.? Certainly a very slow setting will sound "sticky". Try it at about 1/125th second.

If it is not working the A1 can be cleaned and adjusted to like-new for about $100. If you ever want to shoot film $100 is worth it as you do have a top of the line system. You have some first rate lenses. These are capable of professional level photography. In fact an A1 loaded with film can produce better image quality then most consumer-grade digital SLRs but you will just have to wait to see the images.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
How do you know the shutter is "sticky"? What shutter speed are you using for your tests.? Certainly a very slow setting will sound "sticky". Try it at about 1/125th second.

If it is not working the A1 can be cleaned and adjusted to like-new for about $100. If you ever want to shoot film $100 is worth it as you do have a top of the line system. You have some first rate lenses. These are capable of professional level photography. In fact an A1 loaded with film can produce better image quality then most consumer-grade digital SLRs but you will just have to wait to see the images.
It isn't so much sticky, but the shutter gets stuck and has to be manualy closed. Any ideas as to where I could get it fixed?

Don

Valdormar

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2008
Canon A-1 Service And Repairs

It isn't so much sticky, but the shutter gets stuck and has to be manualy closed. Any ideas as to where I could get it fixed?
Don

I would like to give this info to you.

(CANON A-1 SERVICE AND REPAIRS)
http://www.mcvr.com/canon_ae1.htm

They seem to do a good job and prices are not blown out of control.
Get that camera fixed and enjoy it!!!!

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
I don't know about where you are but someone posts an A1 for sale on craigslist just about every day in my city. They're usually really cheap (way less than $100) and it's really easy to find one that functions perfectly. Your lenses are the most valuable; it should be easy to buy a replacement A1 body for cheap

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi,

I recently was given a Canon A-1 and a small collection of Canon FD lenses and a Canon EOS 650. I am baffled by the A-1, and it also has a sticky shutter. I was wondering, if there is an adaptor that exists that would allow me to use the FD lenses on the EOS mount? Also is there anyway to fix the shutter on the A-1, and can anyone give me any information on how to operate it?

Thank you!

Don

Yes there exists an adaptor but you don't want it. Use the FD lenses on the FD mount body. You can buy a good working used FD mount body cheaper then you can buy either the adaptor or have a repair done.

Yes, the shutter can be fixed. That's fixed, not replaced. Unlike new cameras those older ones were repairable but you'd pay over $100.

One more thing... You say the shutter "sticks" but how would you know? If you have to ask how to use the camera how do you know if it is not acting normal. Here is a question? Does it "stick" at every shutter speed or just some of them? Try all the speeds. Not to be insulting but the last time a beginner thought the shutter was "slow" it was because it was set for a one second shutter speed.

If it really is sticking try taking a hundred or so exposures with not film and see if it loosens up.

The A1 will do things that no digital camera can, lie continue to work on a weeks long backpacking trip with no battery. It will take "real" black and white photos, not just the simulated digital kind. It can make really large prints.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.