Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sierra oscar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
South Australia, Australia
Hello everyone,

I'm just about to purchase my first digital camera - I'm still using my Nikon FE 35mm and my medium format Mamiya - and I want to get a digital to carry with me all the time.

I don't have the funds for a DSLR or do I want the bulk (as it's a pain to carry my FE with bracket and flash etc around anyway) but it's a lovely camera so I persist - but I miss out on lots of great everyday shots.

I don't think I'd be happy with the ultra compact camera class (the compromises of this class I mean) - and the 8 megapixel A630 is within my price range (under AU$500.00). The 10 megapixel A640 is also within my price range - but I don't need the extra pixels for a point and shoot - and I sense there will be some pay offs for the bang of the 10.

I've done all the usual bits of research dpreview/steves digicam etc and there aren't any reviews yet - as it is new - so any advice here or real world experience with this camera?

Any comments will be appreciated.

sierra oscar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Just bit the bullet and pre-ordered this A630 online (at a very good price I think). I know this model has been released in other markets - but it seems to be not yet in stock in Australia ...sometime in Sept I'm told - anyway it's ordered - so it may well be me giving this review in a few weeks.

Meanwhile any US or European experiences of the A630 (or A640) that happen along the way - would be great.

sierra oscar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
(feel a bit narcissistic exclusively responding to my own posts here) but anyway.... I had taken early delivery of this camera the A630 - and I've made some preliminary reviews:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinion_text.asp?prodkey=canon_a630&opinion=32968

Only a handful of others are providing feedback at this stage - so this may help someone in their purchase choice.

I'm hoping the professional reviews will be not long coming - but the peer reviews (other than mine) are also very promising - this camera is proving to be quite a performer (slightly better than the earlier A620 and current A640).

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
We have an A620 here at work and have been quite pleased with it... from what I've been reading the A630 is even better.

Have fun with your new camera. :)

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Thanks for the review.
This is one of the cameras I'm considering.
The new wide-angle Ixus is in the running, too, as my sunny day compact.
I'll be waiting 'til I see more samples.

sierra oscar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
freebooter said:
...The new wide-angle Ixus is in the running, too, as my sunny day compact. I'll be waiting 'til I see more samples.

The Ixus is quite a tidy series actually. Not sure which IXUS you have your eye on but the specs on the SD900 (Ixus 900) look really amazing. An ultra compact having 10 mega pixels is just mind blowing. I thought the A640 at 10 mega pixels was amazing enough for a compact. I chose the A630 at 8 mega pixels - having done my research and sums, I thought 10 megapixels would have pushed the limits with the sensors a bit - it appears though this isn't quite drama I thought it would be - whilst the A630 does indeed yield sharper images than the A640 - it's only slightly sharper (under normal conditions).

The new Canon G7 is getting quite a canning though - would steer clear of that one unless it's got features you really want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.