Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
I am thinking of getting a battery grip for my trusty Canon EOS Rebel XT (350D). It costs about $100 on Amazon. For what types of photography is the grip mainly used for? Do you find the camera heavy with the grip, 2 batteries, and a lens?

davidinva

macrumors 6502a
I had one when I had the 350, sold it and the 350 to get the 450. When I had the grip, it was very handy for portrait (not only people, but landscapes) shooting. It does add weight to the camera. You will need an extra battery, but the grip also includes an insert that takes 6 AA batteries in a pinch. Also look at the Opteka grip which sells for less.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Get a grip!

I have the BG-E5 on an XSi. It's great for doing shots in a vertical orientation, especially in low-light situations where you want to hold the camera as steady as possible (with both arms against your body). It also enables you to go longer without changing your battery, of course.

I find that the grip is a great improvement in ergonomics. It might mean a bit of extra weight around your neck or in your bag when you're not taking pictures, but that weight on the camera body helps a lot to balance heavier lenses.

I could never go back to being gripless.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Also the added weight of the grip is to counter balance the weight of heavier lens. I mounted my 100 f/2.8 on a 5D w/ Battery grip (I know I know, that camera body itself is not light) and I can hold it much better. But end up I feel the 5D huge for me :(, anyone having difficulties trying to turn the aperture dial/wheel?

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Some additional info:
- I have 2 batteries for the 350D. For now, when one dies, I swap batteries and charge the drained one.
- I have the following lenses: 18-55 (non-IS), 50mm 1.8, and 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM

I heard from other photographers that the grip gives the camera balance…so does it mean that you get a better hold when you're using a relatively large lens?

@davidinva: Do you think the Opteka grip is as solid as the Canon grip? It is considerably less expensive than the Canon grip.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Also the added weight of the grip is to counter balance the weight of heavier lens. I mounted my 100 f/2.8 on a 5D w/ Battery grip (I know I know, that camera body itself is not light) and I can hold it much better. But end up I feel the 5D huge for me :(, anyone having difficulties trying to turn the aperture dial/wheel?

I don't know about the grip for the 5D, but the one for the XSi has a second set of controls, including the wheel, on the grip itself. So all controls are at your fingertips in either orientation. Did you perhaps get one of those third-party grips that lack the extra controls?

Do you think the Opteka grip is as solid as the Canon grip? It is considerably less expensive than the Canon grip.

The Opteka grip might be as solid, but it doesn't have the fingertip controls all duplicated on it.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Nah, it was an original Canon Battery Grip, I used my friend 5D and fyi, the upper bodies, 40/50D, 5D, 1D all has an individual scroll wheel to adjust the aperture value unlike the Rebel Series which requires us to press a button to be able to adjust the aperture value.

Its located near the screen, and frankly speaking, I have trouble reaching the wheel and changing it faster compared to the jog dial near the shutter button.

Well I am not referring to the battery grip in my previous post, too bad if I buy a battery grip for my Rebel XS, it will made my XS into a frankemera

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Nah, it was an original Canon Battery Grip, I used my friend 5D and fyi, the upper bodies, 40/50D, 5D, 1D all has an individual scroll wheel to adjust the aperture value unlike the Rebel Series which requires us to press a button to be able to adjust the aperture value.

Its located near the screen, and frankly speaking, I have trouble reaching the wheel and changing it faster compared to the jog dial near the shutter button.

Well I am not referring to the battery grip in my previous post, too bad if I buy a battery grip for my Rebel XS, it will made my XS into a frankemera

OK. I've never used a 5D, but I do use a wheel on my XSi to change the aperture.

What's a frankemera?

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I have a battery grip on my 20D and have since Day 1 - I love it. Rebels are a smaller body and for me it's just as much as a necessity, it's nice to have a place for your right hand pinky to go.

Also, it can make you look more professional when you need to :)

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
I always have a the grip on my 400d.

Makes it a much better camera to hold with a large(ish) lens.

I bought a 3rd party grip which came with two batteries. Only rule I follow is the two 3rd party batteries never go directly in the camera, I only ever use them in the grip.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
OK. I've never used a 5D, but I do use a wheel on my XSi to change the aperture.

What's a frankemera?
Ooh, not that. You got the wheel mistaken, I know there is a wheel right above the shutter, I love that wheel. But for us to change the Aperture, we need to press the Av button and turn the wheel right?

But for more expensive bodies, there are 2 wheels, 1 is for Shutter and 1 is for Aperture, the Aperture wheel is located near the LCD screen, I guess individual wheels is to allow a photographer to quickly change the aperture/shutter value, but sadly I am having trouble difficulty reaching the aperture wheel when using the 5D, I wonder if Nikon has the same thing or not.

Anyway, frankemera is cause my Rebel XS needs to use an XSi battery grip, and if you recall, the XSi has a different grip texture then XS so it means my camera will now have a XSi grip (battery grip) and a XS grip :(

fxstb2002

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2008
I am thinking of getting a battery grip for my trusty Canon EOS Rebel XT (350D). It costs about $100 on Amazon. For what types of photography is the grip mainly used for? Do you find the camera heavy with the grip, 2 batteries, and a lens?

The grip is beneficial for any type of photography where you want to shoot in portrait mode.

I have the XTi, and I do find it heavy. However, it is better balanced when shooting with the EF-S 17-55/2.8 and flash that are on there most of the time. It is a reasonable trade-off. Then again, this is a heavier lens that the ones you mentioned, so it might not be for you.

I would buy it.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
OK I think I will go with the Canon BG-E3 instead of the clones. Thanks for the advice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.