Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I want to get an extra battery for my Rebel XSI to carry with me on my trip to Europe in case mine runs out.

I can get the Canon battery for $50 or the knockoff brand for $9. The reviews for that one seem good, but it only has 2 reviews, not a lot to go off of. Is there any reason for me to spend an extra 40 bucks to get the Canon one? Thanks

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
My experience with clone batteries (it's not the same model battery, for the record, the XT and XSi use different batteries) have been so-so. Clone batteries that have been in use for 3 years are beginning to crap out pretty badly right now, and I've now missed shots out of the house because the clone batteries were so bad.

When they were newer, though, they weren't too bad and were worth the savings. My recommendation would be to buy a knock-off or two to keep the stress off of the real, legit and working-well battery that came with your XSi. When they start to crap out, you can fall back on your in-box battery and buy new knock-offs cheaper than having gotten a legit battery.

Either way it's not too big of a decision. I don't think it'll affect you too much if you make the 'wrong' (more like the 'less right') decision in this case.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
I want to get an extra battery for my Rebel XSI to carry with me on my trip to Europe in case mine runs out.

I can get the Canon battery for $50 or the knockoff brand for $9. The reviews for that one seem good, but it only has 2 reviews, not a lot to go off of. Is there any reason for me to spend an extra 40 bucks to get the Canon one? Thanks

I think off brands are a crap shoot. You never know how good you'll get. That said, You could buy a couple of the off brand and still come out ahead. I got an off brand extended for my canon video camera and it has been golden.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
To follow up on Toxic's comment, here is a posting on POTN (pretty much all Canon) regarding Sterling Tek.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=115179

As it goes back to 2005 it should give you a reasonable time frame coverage and make you feel more confident in your decision.

I just bought a 2nd canon battery, though I was using some coupons and such for Amazon when I got it (and some other accessories) so I wasn't stressing over the price.

If you want to go non name brand at least go with one that has a decent reputation, you dont need to ruin $xxxx of equipment by saving $40 on a battery.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
The two off-brands batteries I got with my off-brand grip for my 400d seem pretty good, last forever too. Still I'm a little paranoid about them so only use them in the grip. I always use a genuine Canon battery in the camera it self.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I've got a few cheap batteries in my 5d, not had any issues with them (despite what camera stores say about them). Got mine from 7dayshop.com (uk site!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.