Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThunderRobot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Looking for some buying advice to help me chose between the Canon BG-2EN grip or the Opteka battery grip.

First and most important question. I'm aware that these grips don't have an Autofocus on/off button but do they autofocus on a half-press of the shutter release button on the grip?

Does either of them have a main dial to replicate the functionality on the grip?

Is the Canon version significantly different to justify the higher price?

The grip will be used on a Canon 50D if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I know the case with the BG-E5 is that the Canon version has some controls that are missing on the cheaper model by Opteka (the Canon one duplicates all of the buttons and the wheel that would be accessible around the main shutter button). Yes, autofocus and metering via a half-press work the same way with either shutter button.

ThunderRobot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
I know the case with the BG-E5 is that the Canon version has some controls that are missing on the cheaper model by Opteka (the Canon one duplicates all of the buttons and the wheel that would be accessible around the main shutter button). Yes, autofocus and metering via a half-press work the same way with either shutter button.

Thank you. That's reassuring.

If possible, can anyone give more details on what is missing on the Opteka model please?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.