Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chris7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Lost in Thought
Looking for an autofocus full sensor sized prime that looks good at f/2.0 (or faster), for under $500. I would prefer 35mm or 50mm. Is this available through other manufactures?

From the reviews, it's looking like the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM is unreliable (the autofocus stops working and needs frequent repairs), and the EF 28mm f/1.8 USM is soft at f/1.8, and shows slight vignetting on a full sensor camera at f/1.8 (should I ever buy full size sensor DSLR).

(Thanks to the people who helped me find a decent point and shoot. For now, I've decided to get a point and shoot and borrow an a friend's Rebel XS when he doesn't need it...)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
My EF 50mm f/1.4 seem perfectly reliable and well made? Anyway you could just get the f/1.8 version and not care if/when it breaks as it's < $100. Or you could buy a Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM which comes in EF mount for about $500.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I'm not sure where you read that the 50mm f/1.4 was a sub-par lens. It is a fantastic one, and well used and reviewed by many. Take another look around -- it is a great deal for ~ $350.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
Sigma 30mm 1.4 If you can find a good copy. AMAZING lens. If you order it at B&H you can always return it for a full refund.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
I'm not sure where you read that the 50mm f/1.4 was a sub-par lens. It is a fantastic one, and well used and reviewed by many. Take another look around -- it is a great deal for ~ $350.

Amen. I never regretted finding mine on Craigslist.

Chris7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Lost in Thought
Bought the Sigma

Or you could buy a Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM which comes in EF mount for about $500.
Thanks for the rec. I just ordered the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 for $500 from B&H. After reading some of the reviews, it seemed like the best sub $500 full sensor prime for Canon.
Sigma 30mm 1.4 If you can find a good copy. AMAZING lens.
I was deliberating between the 30mm and 50mm, but decided I wanted full frame (just in case) and the greater focal length. Thanks, though. I may end up with one of these in the future
...My EF 50mm f/1.4 seem perfectly reliable and well made?
The 50mm/f1.8 is an OK lens, but frankly I think it's a bit overrated...
I'm not sure where you read that the 50mm f/1.4 was a sub-par lens...
I donno. The user reviews right on the Canon site show a lot of complaints regarding reliability with this lens in particular. I know people who have bad experiences are more likely to post a consumer “review,” but the user reviews of the other lenses on the Canon site did not generally talk of reliability problems. Plus the Canon is said to be a little softer at f/1.4 than the Sigma.

Thanks for everyone's help. We’ll see how it turns out...

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I donno. The user reviews right on the Canon site show a lot of complaints regarding reliability with this lens in particular. I know people who have bad experiences are more likely to post a consumer “review,” but the user reviews of the other lenses on the Canon site did not generally talk of reliability problems. Plus the Canon is said to be a little softer at f/1.4 than the Sigma.

Just so you know, I was talking about the Canon 50mm/f1.8- the cheap version. I haven't used the f1.4 .

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Thanks for the rec. I just ordered the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 for $500 from B&H. After reading some of the reviews, it seemed like the best sub $500 full sensor prime for Canon.

The single sample I've seen was of a very good build-quality and the owner had upgraded from the Canon version (over time, not directly,) and was significantly happier with the Sigma. I think you'll be pleased.

Paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.