Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Anyone fancy guessing what lens will be the first?

dpreview said:
Canon has developed the an image stabilization system that corrects for both linear and rotational shake. The system, which the company claims is a world's first for SLR lenses (Pentax offers similar capabilities in-camera), will be incorporated into a lens that will be released before the end of 2009. The new system is designed to offer improved stabilization performance in a wider variety of shooting situations.

Source: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0907/09072207canonhybridIS.asp

CATinHAWAII

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2007
--== Hawaii ! ==--
Probably there 70-200 2.8L wonder what prices are going to be like?

id probably just get the 70-200.. gotta save up the pennies...
but the other lenses (primes and macro may benefit more)

new system probably gonna spread to all the higher end
lenses within the year... be right on time for the end of the
recession... have to look forward and be ready with new stuff....:eek:

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Although they are still top-notch by any standard, I think the 300/400/500/600/800mm primes may see this first.

Maybe not the 800mm, but the others (300 and 400 especially) are used for action sports which would benefit from this technology. The 500-800 lenses are more for wildlife so they would not be top on Canon's list.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
People keep hoping for the 24-70 IS. Maybe this is what Canon was waiting for. Anyway it comes, it should be interesting.

How many shots have you missed because of rotational blurring though? It seems like a solution for a problem that I don't normally have.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
IS on a macro lens would be a very welcome addition. I have to keep my shutter speed at 1/200 if I want any DOF at all, and having IS would help me get more naturally lit shots (instead of relying on the ring flash/external speedlite).

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
IS on a macro lens would be a very welcome addition. I have to keep my shutter speed at 1/200 if I want any DOF at all, and having IS would help me get more naturally lit shots (instead of relying on the ring flash/external speedlite).

It'd have to be a pretty sweet IS system to provide much benefit for Macro wouldn't it? I mean when you're focusing in that close even very very tiny movements can cause blur. I'd imagine that the IS systems out there aren't sophisticated enough to detect and correct for that kind of minuscule movement.

SLC

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
What a bad name. This has nothing of "hybrid".

When I saw the title I thought it was lens+sensor based stabilization at last.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Although they are still top-notch by any standard, I think the 300/400/500/600/800mm primes may see this first.

Maybe not the 800mm, but the others (300 and 400 especially) are used for action sports which would benefit from this technology. The 500-800 lenses are more for wildlife so they would not be top on Canon's list.

I agree, I think that the Super Telephotos would be the first to see this. They will benefit the most from the technology due to the long focal length. Or perhaps the Canon 400mm ƒ/5.6L will finally see IS.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
It'd have to be a pretty sweet IS system to provide much benefit for Macro wouldn't it? I mean when you're focusing in that close even very very tiny movements can cause blur. I'd imagine that the IS systems out there aren't sophisticated enough to detect and correct for that kind of minuscule movement.
SLC

Yes, but I'm referring to the different shooting conditions I've had to face. I've had to hang upside down from a tree branch, grabbing a leaf with one hand and my whole setup with the other. That can cause major shake issues, and IS would be very helpful in those situations (as would being in better shape, but IS doesn't help there :p).

paintball312

macrumors member
May 25, 2009
Of course it'll add to the price. I'd suspect they'd keep the non-is version, and add an is version, which I would suspect would still keep it sub $2,000, which is certainly cheaper than 400mm f/4 DO IS :p

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
According to the press release:
The technology will be incorporated in an interchangeable single lens reflex (SLR) camera lens planned for commercial release before the end of 2009.
Canon’s newly developed Hybrid IS technology optimally compensates for angular camera shake (rotational) and shift camera shake (linear). Sudden changes in camera angle can cause significant blur in images taken during standard shooting, whereas blur caused by shift-based shaking, when a camera moves parallel to the subject, is more pronounced in macro and other close-up photography.
So I will assume Canon will release just one lens using Hybrid IS, a macro lens. My guess would be: EF 180mm f/3.5L II HIS USM macro

paintball312

macrumors member
May 25, 2009
According to the press release:

So I will assume Canon will release just one lens using Hybrid IS, a macro lens. My guess would be: EF 180mm f/3.5L II HIS USM macro

You read the first bold part wrong. It should be read as ...will be incorporated in an interchangeable, single lens reflex (SLR), camera lens. They aren't saying it's going to be a single lens, they are saying it will be an SLR lens.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
You read the first bold part wrong. It should be read as ...will be incorporated in an interchangeable, single lens reflex (SLR), camera lens. They aren't saying it's going to be a single lens, they are saying it will be an SLR lens.
Doh, you are right. What a dummy. Anyway, Canon typically releases few lenses a year and I don't expect many lenses getting HIS initially.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
anti stabilization is pretty good already. will this really make a lot of difference?

also, will this make lenses heavier and make them optically inferior?

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
A new 70-200L f2.8, given all the recent developments.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2009/07/new-is-lenses-cr1/

I'm hoping they'll drive the price down a bit for older lenses :D. I'm needing to buy some new L Glass for my sports photography. Perhaps that and a new 60D so I can retire my current backup. I don't care if my 70-200 lacks IS, as with sports I'm at such a fast shutter already, it wouldn't be beneficial to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.