Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
I have really enjoyed using Canon ELPHs (or ixus in Europe) I've had the 300 and 850. Trade-offs galore, but the portability and quick to shoot are the main things for me.

My question is: does canon (or anyone) make a camera that compact, quick and easy that shoots in RAW. I understand the lens, attachment and flash trade-offs I'm making, I'm simply looking for a pocket RAW camera.

I don't like Sony's generally, but I might consider anything. I've got a ton of SD cards, so would prefer to keep using those. Any recommendations?

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Look at the Canon G series cameras on dpreview.com

I think the G7 didn't do RAW, but the earlier versions did and the G9 does.

Yes, I had read about G6 and before, but understand they were a little slower in response. I heard the G7 dropped RAW, but didn't know they picked it up again in a later model. I actually looked at the G9 in a Canon comparison chart, and it didn't mention RAW support. I went back and looked more deeply into the G9 on the Canon site, and there it is! RAW support.

Thanks for the pointer. This looks like a possible fit for me, though it's 2X the weight and bigger than the ELPHs. I'll have to see it in person first.

If anyone has any "tiny" digital cams w/RAW support they recommend, please fire away

JDR

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2008
Chicago, IL
I have a G9, which indeed does have RAW, and I love it. Highly recommended. Takes great photos and can (usually) fit in my pocket. You won't be disappointed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.