Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
I am starting this thread because I am trying to purchase a new camera. I have had a couple of point and shoots over the past few years but starting in January I developed an obsession with photography and decided that I wanted to purchase a nice digital camera and begin photographing anything and everything. Currently I am an architecture student and I need to be able to take nice pictures of all of my projects but I also want to be able to take pictures of family, friends, buildings, landscapes.....everything pretty much. I know that their are much nicer cameras (the (practical) camera I really really want is the 30D).

However, I am trying to start off with an intro digital slr. I don't know much and I want a camera that I can play with (with not to many options to screw up) and I want to try and understand digital photography. I want to purchase a couple of nice lenses and in a year or two purchase a nice Canon body to use the lenses with.

My point is, I can get a brand new Digital Rebel XT (body only) for 549.95 from http://www.bhphotovideo.com

I am getting a slightly used kit lense from my professor who has a Canon 20D and a bunch of great lenses. He said he hardly ever uses the kit lense and will sell it to me for 50 bucks.

So........Does anyone have this camera? What are your thoughts? opinions? Any images you can share?

Thanks to everyone for helping me out and answering these questions and reading the thread.

NYVideoGuy

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2006
Spend the extra money and grab a 20D if you can . I have the RebelXT. It takes great pictures, no doubt, but the viewfinder is small and dark. If I could do it over I would get the 20D ( or 30D now) . For the money, it is an excellent camera. The auto white balance stinks, learn how to do it manually, and get a good flash. You will love it, just that darn viewfinder....

Blong

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Pick up the cameras and have a play with them. Many people like the feel of the 350D, but it seems like just as many don't.

When the 350D was released, I felt that the price was right to buy a DSLR. However, when I picked it up and played with it, I really didn't like the way it felt in my hands - most likely could have become accustomed to it in a short time, but then I picked up the 20D. Biiiiiiiiig difference in balance and feel. So I bought the 20D, was worried about the extra cost for a little bit, but I am very happy now that I made the choice.

On the other hand, you could save money by getting the 350D and investing in some good glass.

The 20D should be dropping in price, so there's another option, but the small improvements in the 30D like bigger preview screen and spot metering make it very attractive.

So - just go into a shop and pick them up and have a play. Good luck.

Cool.

Rob

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
The 350D / XT is a great camera. My sister in London has one and has shot some great images with it. I've handled hers and I think the size is not bad - it is compact, but that's how it feels to me - a compact DSLR. I like feel of my 30D more, but I don't dislike the 350D. I echo the advice given above that it's a good idea to hold the cameras at a shop.

Check out this thread for a photographer, Matt Clark, who uses the 350D/XT. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/190263/

I think you'll find his other photographs to be encouraging as well:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/digital_rebel_xt/ There are several pages to go through - I really like some of his photographs.

Here are some galleries that you can sort by camera type: http://photography-on-the.net/gallerydatabase/index.php The tool to sort by camera type is over on the right - select 350D.

I've found the similar sensor on the 30D to be very good. I left my camera set to ISO 1600 and shot a lot of photos yesterday. You'd never know they were at 1600 - no noise.

A small point with me - I'd be tempted to buy the version labled as the 350D, I just never liked the "rebel" product name that much.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I had Canon brand loyalty as well, and still went with a Nikon D50, although I now wish I considered Olympus a little bit more, along with Pentax (but these 2 companies are much harder to find where I live).

Anyway, if you get a Canon, don't make it a 350D. I always say get a 20D as a bare minimum, because the 350D's comfort and quality feels like poo on a stick, and the general button layout isn't exactly Canon's strong suit. A female friend says the Canon 350D felt great in her hand though, but she's 5'2" and has tiny hands. ;)

Photo quality is going to be great using any dSLR, including the 20D. Yes you lose some advantages that the 30D offers you, but they're not that crucial if you're just starting out. I'd consider the 20D over the 30D and 350D Rebel XT.

Also, I hope the reason you're choosing a Canon over other brands isn't because your professor is offering you the kit lens for $50. It's not a good enough lens to make a decision solely on his offer. ;) Don't worry, I'm a student on a budget as well, and I can probably help you with lens suggestions if you need them. You simply can't afford all the great lenses Canon has to offer. ;)

pigbat

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2005
macdaddy121 said:
My point is, I can get a brand new Digital Rebel XT (body only) for 549.95 from http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Watch what you order. BHP is a great place to get stuff but that price you're quoting ($549) is for the older Rebel generation - 300D. The Rebel XT is $589 after a $100 rebate for the body only.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
NYVideoGuy said:
Spend the extra money and grab a 20D if you can . I have the RebelXT. It takes great pictures, no doubt, but the viewfinder is small and dark. If I could do it over I would get the 20D ( or 30D now) . For the money, it is an excellent camera. The auto white balance stinks, learn how to do it manually, and get a good flash. You will love it, just that darn viewfinder....

I was not interested in the Rebel until the price went down. However, when it went down I became very interested. I am expecting the price to go down on the 20D. However, right now the 30d (body only) is 1250. Not bad at all for a brand new great camera. I need to keep looking and establish my price range. It is hard not to want the best thing out though. Thanks for the help.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
Blong said:
Pick up the cameras and have a play with them. Many people like the feel of the 350D, but it seems like just as many don't.

When the 350D was released, I felt that the price was right to buy a DSLR. However, when I picked it up and played with it, I really didn't like the way it felt in my hands - most likely could have become accustomed to it in a short time, but then I picked up the 20D. Biiiiiiiiig difference in balance and feel. So I bought the 20D, was worried about the extra cost for a little bit, but I am very happy now that I made the choice.

On the other hand, you could save money by getting the 350D and investing in some good glass.

The 20D should be dropping in price, so there's another option, but the small improvements in the 30D like bigger preview screen and spot metering make it very attractive.

So - just go into a shop and pick them up and have a play. Good luck.

Cool.

Rob

Bad news: I live in a small town and they don't have a camera store.

Good news: Moving to Atlanta in 2 months. Going to house hunt in Atlanta in 6 days. I will definently be checking out some camera stores.

I am hoping the 20D price drops a few hundred. Anything around 900 seems like a great price. It might take a month or so. But I don't see how it can stay at its price with the 30D being so cheap in some places.

Thanks

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
My first foray into digital after film was two 300D's.

That lasted about two months before I sold them and picked up 2 20D's.

No fracking comparison - spend the extra $.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
law guy said:
The 350D / XT is a great camera. My sister in London has one and has shot some great images with it. I've handled hers and I think the size is not bad - it is compact, but that's how it feels to me - a compact DSLR. I like feel of my 30D more, but I don't dislike the 350D. I echo the advice given above that it's a good idea to hold the cameras at a shop.

Check out this thread for a photographer, Matt Clark, who uses the 350D/XT. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/190263/

I think you'll find his other photographs to be encouraging as well:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/digital_rebel_xt/ There are several pages to go through - I really like some of his photographs.

Here are some galleries that you can sort by camera type: http://photography-on-the.net/gallerydatabase/index.php The tool to sort by camera type is over on the right - select 350D.

I've found the similar sensor on the 30D to be very good. I left my camera set to ISO 1600 and shot a lot of photos yesterday. You'd never know they were at 1600 - no noise.

A small point with me - I'd be tempted to buy the version labled as the 350D, I just never liked the "rebel" product name that much.

I am afraid this thread is going to make me spend more money than I was planning. However, I really want that 30D. Maybe I just need to get over the fact that it cost more than twice as much and realize its just money. Who needs it??

By the way....I have never been a big fan of the Rebel name myself. The price drop is the main thing that has made me be very interested in it.

Thanks for the help

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
pigbat said:
Watch what you order. BHP is a great place to get stuff but that price you're quoting ($549) is for the older Rebel generation - 300D. The Rebel XT is $589 after a $100 rebate for the body only.

Sorry, I posted that price really quickly. I did know that it was 589. Thanks for the heads up though.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
NYVideoGuy said:
Spend the extra money and grab a 20D if you can . I have the RebelXT. It takes great pictures, no doubt, but the viewfinder is small and dark.

Depends on your POV (no pun intended). I have the XT, and find that the finder is bright. And with glasses the smaller finder image not real issue.

The auto white balance stinks, learn how to do it manually, and get a good flash. You will love it, just that darn viewfinder....

Auto WB is different between vendors and even different models from those vendors. Learning to do WB manually can help no matter what camera you are using. Whether it is by working with the RAW format, or using something like the Expodisk (http://www.expoimaging.net/).

Flash is subjective also. I have a 420EX that sees rare use. The built-in is great for most uses, for me.

Blong said:

Good points. I wrestled with my choice between the XT and the 20D. For my style of shooting, I preferred the smaller, lighter body. Also with the 12-24 Tokina, 17-40 Canon, and the 28-75 Tamron; the balance for me was better with the XT body over the 20D.

Abstract said:
I had Canon brand loyalty as well, and still went with a Nikon D50, although I now wish I considered Olympus a little bit more, along with Pentax (but these 2 companies are much harder to find where I live).

Yep, each vendor has something else to offer. Olympus has their sonic cleaning of the sensor, and some fantastic - but expensive - high-speed lenses coming out. And their Panasonic tie in may give them access to lenses designed by Leica (our rep is hedging a bit on the OIS system from Panasonic). Pentax has great compatibility with their older MF lenses.

Anyway, if you get a Canon, don't make it a 350D. I always say get a 20D as a bare minimum, because the 350D's comfort and quality feels like poo on a stick, and the general button layout isn't exactly Canon's strong suit.

Again subjective. I love the ease of the controls that matter, over the controls of my 10D.

Also, I hope the reason you're choosing a Canon over other brands isn't because your professor is offering you the kit lens for $50. It's not a good enough lens to make a decision solely on his offer. ;) Don't worry, I'm a student on a budget as well, and I can probably help you with lens suggestions if you need them. You simply can't afford all the great lenses Canon has to offer. ;)

Depending on usage, the 18-55 is not that bad of a lens for one starting out on a budget. For what I am hearing the OP is trying to stay close to $600. IIRC from my stores pricing the D50 w/18-55 is about $700, though the *ist DL fits that budget of $600. Even though the price the OP posted is after a $100 mail-in rebate.

macdaddy121 said:
Bad news: I live in a small town and they don't have a camera store.

First, I don't count Baton Rouge as a "small town". There was one shop many years ago that I thought about working for. Maybe they were pushed out by the big box stores and those that just want the lowest price.

Good news: Moving to Atlanta in 2 months. Going to house hunt in Atlanta in 6 days. I will definently be checking out some camera stores.

Should be some great independent shops in ATL. Of course there are Ritz's and Wolfes' there.

I am hoping the 20D price drops a few hundred. Anything around 900 seems like a great price. It might take a month or so. But I don't see how it can stay at its price with the 30D being so cheap in some places.

If $900 is not out of the question, then look at the Nikon D70s kit with the 18-70 for about $999. Sure you might have to wait, but it is also a great choice. It may not have the ISO 3200 of the Canon, but it does allow for wireless TTL flash without needing to buy a $240 accessory. It also offers grid lines imposed on the screen for composition.

macdaddy121 said:
I am afraid this thread is going to make me spend more money than I was planning. However, I really want that 30D. Maybe I just need to get over the fact that it cost more than twice as much and realize its just money. Who needs it??

By the way....I have never been a big fan of the Rebel name myself. The price drop is the main thing that has made me be very interested in it.

Keep in mind a camera is a tool. What matters in a tool, is how it is used by the person using it - and the results they can get. The name behind it means little, but to those that names mean more than results.

If you have little need for 5fps vs. 3fps, then the lowly "Rebel" may serve your needs. If you have little need for ISO 3200 vs. ISO 1600, then the lowly "Rebel" may serve your needs also.

To be honest the strongest reason, other than "spec envy", for the 20D or the 30D are the common interfaces to the upper end of the Canon line. It would shorten the learning curve perhaps.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
Thanks

I am no longer in Baton Rouge. I moved to a town called Ruston. Trust me.....it is small....I was going to update it but then I would have to when I got to Atlanta. I probably should.....I will.

I didn't mean to make the Rebel sound lowly. I just have never been a fan of the name and the commercials always rubbed me the wrong way.

Thanks for the input. You seem to enjoy the Rebel just fine and I will give it a go this weekend when I go back to BR for a wedding. In all honesty it is probably the camera for me. Great price, nice specs, smaller body (I think that will be a + for now atleast). I will let everyone know what I think of them when I get back in town.

Wish me luck. I just might come home with one....

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
Did not get a chance to go check them out this weekend. It's amazing how when you go and visit the folks and friends how you never have much time to do anything for yourself. Oh well.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
By the way.....I'm thinking about purchasing a 20d off of ebay. Anyones thoughts on that. I have seen a couple that will probably finish around 600. They are slightly used. I used my profs today and it was really nice. I also borrowed my parents nikon d50 and I really enjoyed it today too. I would like to ask under the marketplace if anyone is selling one but I haven't met my 100 post minimum. I'm still trying to figure this whole thing out.

Any thoughts?

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
macdaddy121 said:
I am no longer in Baton Rouge. I moved to a town called Ruston. Trust me.....it is small....I was going to update it but then I would have to when I got to Atlanta. I probably should.....I will.

Last edited:

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
Go with the XT and see if your new intrest lasts, it may die off in a few months. I would go out and buy the 50mm f/1.8 (they call it the nifty fifty), first. this lens is about $80 but its the best lens for it's price anywhere.

To be honest with you, the kit lens is JUNK. It's a paperweight at best. The glass is cheap and the lens in general is crappy. Get the XT and get the 50 f/1.8 and that should hold you until you get some money for better glass.

bruf

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
Montreal, QC
Rebel XT (350D) is a great entry into the DSLR world

The Rebel XT (350D) is a great camera, your shots will be as good as on a 20D/30D. If it's your first DSLR, I think it's overkill to go with something pricier than that. But I got to agree that the "feel" isn't for everyone, you definitely have to try before you buy (as with any SLR body purchase BTW). It's similar to the good ol' Nikon vs Canon debacle.

What will really make a difference is the lens(es) you'll use in combination with your DSLR body. In my opinion, a 350D combined with a great lens will give you much better results than a 20D/30D with an entry-level lens. For the same investment, you get much better results from day 1. A friend of mine bought the bundle Canon 20D + EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM and he quickly sold the EF-S lens we he saw the results I got from my 17-40mm f4L USM.

DSLR bodies don't last very long (2-3 years) in the marketplace compared to lenses. If the 350D fits the bill for you, you'll save a few hundreds bucks today and you'll be able to upgrade your body when needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.