Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
hey all photographers, i am considering getting into the slr market and i have been doing a little bit of shopping through cameras. I have taken a liking to the digital rebel xt and the 20d. can anyone offer me insight or comparison on these cameras. I know the price is about 300-500 different in favor of the 20d but are these features really worth it? Or, is there a darkhorse camera that i should look into?

electronboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2005
if you want more pro features then use the 20D. We have professional photographers here and they use 20D cameras and have great things to say about them.

If you are a hobbyist I'm sure that the Rebel will be enough camera for you.

If you get a used 20D make sure you update its firmware as there were problems with the early models that have since been addressed.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
The main deal with the 20D is SPEED, plus some really neat, but seldom-used pro features.

It also hae a magnesium versus plastic body.

Do you want a 6-8 year camera that can eventually become a spare body?

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
I love my Digital Rebel XT, but I wish I had spent the extra money on the 20D. Some of these have already been mentioned, but the main plusses on the 20D are...

Speed (5 fps vs. 3 fps)
Focus (9 point vs. 7 point)
Sensitivity (ability to shoot ISO 3200)
Body (Magnesium vs. Plastic)
Resolution (8.2mp vs. 8.0mp)

I'd say buy the 20D

fuzzwud

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2004
Houston
ziwi said:
Based on my budget - I went with the XT and better lenses versus the 20d and the kit - so it may come down to price.

I second ziwi's opinion. That's what I did. Camera bodies will go the way of commodities like PCs. Spend your money on lenses and lighting equipment.

The difference between the two wasn't worth $500 for me. I got myself a 3rd lens with that money. Here are the points of difference:

Speed (5 fps vs. 3 fps) - good if you will take lots of action and sports
Focus (9 point vs. 7 point) - it's nice too but how much of a difference is unclear
Sensitivity (ability to shoot ISO 3200) - rarely use it.
Body (Magnesium vs. Plastic) - magnesium is nice but i would only pay an extra $100-300
Resolution (8.2mp vs. 8.0mp) - .2 mp doesn't matter much.

my 2 cents.
dw

form

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
in a country
I wasn't able to afford a 20D when I bought my XT. I got the XT because I needed faster lenses and better light sensitivity with lower noise than non-dSLR cameras could provide.

Later on when I had the choice to opt for upgrading to a 20D or getting another lens, I got the lens instead. I simply couldn't justify $500 for the extra features of the 20D. ISO3200 would be nice, but it's also a bit soft. 5fps would be handy, but I hardly ever use burst mode anyway. The rest of the extras were peanuts to me.

SpAtZ

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
NY
Watch for the PMA's at the end of this month for updates to the 20d! You could get a great price on a 20d if an upgrade is announced. That is what I am currently looking to do.

fuzzwud

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2004
Houston
ziwi said:
Don't forget the rebates - Canon seems to offer triple rebates 2x a year around April - June and October - January.

It made my $$$ go farther.

Yep, I just received my **triple** rebate check for $380 today. I got the XT, 100mm Macro, and the iP6600D printer. I wanted to get another canon lens but between my choices, it was not on the list or too costly still. The printer is a great 3rd item to get that qualifies for triple rebate. It's basically half price after rebate.

I got a 28-75 mm Tamron with Macro and a Tokina 14-20 mm for wide. I'd like the 17-40 mm L but that will have to wait. The 100mm Macro is superb. I love the USM.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
If you like the 350D, buy it. The 20D has better ergonomics and build quality, but the 350D is good for beginners.

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
No one mentioned the size/weight/feel of the xt vs 20d. I was all set to buy an xt---until I actually picked one up. The xt is quite small compared to the 20d and also much lighter and cheaper feeling. If you have small-medium size hands and want something light and portable, the xt should be fine. In my opinion though, the 20d is a huge step up from the xt. The xt feels like a toy whereas the 20d feels more professional.

good luck

geoffism

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
NYC
Poeben said:
No one mentioned the size/weight/feel of the xt vs 20d. I was all set to buy an xt---until I actually picked one up. The xt is quite small compared to the 20d and also much lighter and cheaper feeling. If you have small-medium size hands and want something light and portable, the xt should be fine. In my opinion though, the 20d is a huge step up from the xt. The xt feels like a toy whereas the 20d feels more professional.

Glad someone finally mentioned this.

I think it is a big difference. The heft of the body (actually feel the camera, makes it more stable in your hand) and the size - the controls are not sqeezed together. They are in convenient spots. I'll also say that the feel of the body (mag vs plastic) is a considerable difference too. I've had 2 friends sell their XT's on craigslist & ebay after messing around with my 20d.

But, it really just depends on what you want. In my opinion, the Rebel XT is for someone who really doesn't know what they are doing and want to have the camera manage the settings. The 20d is more expensive, but it's whether or not you want the extra capabilities is you ever need to use them (like shooting 5 fps or knocking a picture out at ISO 3200).

Personally, I'd spend the extra $$ and get the 20D. Good Luck!

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
body

thats one thing i noticed too, i have bigger hands and the 20d def felt better in my hand than the rebel. I am looking at some of the ebay auctions that have massive combos for camera, flashmemory, tripods, lenses etc for around 1k-1.2k for the rebel and 1.3k-1.6k for the 20d, i thinik this might be one of the best ways to go since ill get a whole starter kit, plus the 20d starts at like 1500 in stores and te rebele starts at lik 800+

makisushi

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
Northern VA
I bought the Rebel XT because of two reasons both that have been mentioned. Price. I have small hands, so the Canon felt much more comfortable.

geoffism

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
NYC
TheMasin9 said:
thats one thing i noticed too, i have bigger hands and the 20d def felt better in my hand than the rebel. I am looking at some of the ebay auctions that have massive combos for camera, flashmemory, tripods, lenses etc for around 1k-1.2k for the rebel and 1.3k-1.6k for the 20d, i thinik this might be one of the best ways to go since ill get a whole starter kit, plus the 20d starts at like 1500 in stores and te rebele starts at lik 800+
There are definitely some good deals to be had on eBay. Personally, I would buy the body and starter lens (like a 35-70) and stop there. That's when I would use my local photo shop. go during the day and get one of the "smarter guys" to talk you through some lenses. The majority of guys that are in there are serious amatuers or ex-pros, and they will ask you about your shooting habits and direct you in your lense purchases. Merely just a suggestion.
A lot of the eBay listings for the bigger kits are from this shop in Brooklyn, and from what I understand, they are a real hassle to deal with (it's the too good to be true pricing).

Good Luck!
-g

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
TheMasin9 said:
... i am considering getting into the slr market and i have been doing a little bit of shopping through cameras. I have taken a liking to the digital rebel xt and the 20d....

How did you decide to go with the Canon lineup? Other companies make DSLRs too,. Nikon and Olympus come to mind If you'd tell usthen maybe we'd know something about what you think is importent in cameras.

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
canon

i dont really know how i decided on canon, i have just heard really good things about the lineup and many of my photography friends have canons. if anyone can recommend a comparable other brand camera both in features, quality, and price (possible ebay bundles) then im open to that as well.

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
ChrisA said:
How did you decide to go with the Canon lineup? Other companies make DSLRs too,. Nikon and Olympus come to mind If you'd tell usthen maybe we'd know something about what you think is importent in cameras.

I keep hearing that caonon lenses are better than nikons though, any comments on that.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
I heard that Tamron and Sigma lenses are better because they're cheaper. :p Both Canon and Nikkor make excellent lenses.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
barneygumble said:
I keep hearing that caonon lenses are better than nikons though, any comments on that.

Canon and Nikon each make a range of lenses. Some of Canon's might be better then some of Nikons' and vice versa. You have to look at each lens

I think Canon makes a wider range of qualityies. Some of the low-end Canon lenses have a real cheap plastic "feel" to them. But resetly Nikon did introduce a couple low-end lenes so they could offer the d50 with lens at a low kit price. At the high end they are both very good. The Canon "L Series" lens are as good as Nikon. But if you are not planning to buy "Canon L" and insted are buying Canon consumer grade then the argument that "Canon is better" is just plain wrong.

It's like saying "GM must build good cars because thier Corvet goes 200 MPH" but if you are shopping for a mini-van corvet is irrelevent. Same with lenese.

One thing about Nikon is they they have not changed the "F Mount" so all the older manual focus lenses still fit on the new bodies but with some restrictions.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
TheMasin9 said:
i dont really know how i decided on canon, i have just heard really good things about the lineup and many of my photography friends have canons. if anyone can recommend a comparable other brand camera both in features, quality, and price (possible ebay bundles) then im open to that as well.

First off don't buy camers on ebay or from ANYONE in Brookland NY who offers a very low pice. Ask around for some dealer who is 100% reputable and do a google search on any place you don't know. unlike online resellers in other areas many online discount camera dealers are total scum. But many are good. Do your homework.

If you can afford a Canon 20d you should look at the Nikon D200

Some of the things to look at are how the light meter works and the flash system and also just basic handling and if the controls seem natural to you. Look at the light meter system and the flash metering

You have to actually hold the camers in your hands long enough so you can remember what is is like after you've walked out of the store.

That said, you wll do find with any of the current model DSLRs

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Tough decision. I bought the XT and love it. The main things that appeal to me about the 20D are better AF and larger viewfinder. The build quality on the XT is fine, though the 20D build is even better. No regrets here with my decision. I wouldn't buy the 20D for higher ISO, but would spend the extra cash if you are going to shoot mainly action photography.

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
ChrisA said:
First off don't buy camers on ebay or from ANYONE in Brookland NY who offers a very low pice. Ask around for some dealer who is 100% reputable and do a google search on any place you don't know. unlike online resellers in other areas many online discount camera dealers are total scum. But many are good. Do your homework.

why should i not buy from ebay? there is a buyer protection policy correct? and if the feedback is right, why not?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.