Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
So, my wife just bought a Canon Digital Rebel XTi, because she'd like to get into digital photography a little more. We are total novices, and we are experiencing one bothersome issue right now.

FOR SOME REASON, in the menu system, when we go to the "Quality" setting, we can only choose JPG—there is no RAW setting. Does anyone know why this might be? Any thoughts? What am I missing?

Thanks a bundle!

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
stevietheb said:
FOR SOME REASON, in the menu system, when we go to the "Quality" setting, we can only choose JPG—there is no RAW setting. Does anyone know why this might be? Any thoughts? What am I missing?

Which mode are you shooting in? At least on my 20D, I can only shoot RAW images in the semi-manual modes - ie, everything from "P" onward on the dial (counting the green square, full auto mode as the start.) In the automatic modes (sports, landscape, etc.), only JPEG is available.

This irks me no end when somebody borrows my camera and leaves it in full auto mode. :rolleyes:

ETA: I've just had a look at the close-ups of the 400D (aka the XTi) on Canon Australia's website. There are twelve modes on the mode dial. The ones that will (probably) let you shoot raw are "P" (Program), "Tv" (shutter priority), "Av" (aperture priority), "M" (manual), and A-DEP (aperture dependent - ie, focus on the nearest and furthest subject, and the camera will pick an aperture that will focus on everything in between.)

Every other mode, I'm pretty sure will only shoot in JPEG format.

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
That solves it! Thanks so much. I couldn't find that information anywhere. I guess that's something that we're just supposed to know.

Now, we just need to learn how to shoot in those manual modes! (like I said...total novices) What we're mainly wanting to do is shoot sports stuff. High School sports in our hometown are huge...so, tonight we'll be at the football game trying to capture some moments.

Thanks again...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.