Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
i was wondering how many people have screen covers over their LCD's on their DSLRs. I have a 50d and i was wondering if it would be worth putting one on there. like a ggs cover over the lcd.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I put an adhesive screen protector on the LCD of my XSi when it was brand new (that was about seven months ago). Since I barely even used the camera without the protector, I really can't say whether it had much affect on the appearance of the display, but I don't think it did. I'm not sure I believe that it reduces glare. The surface is still very reflective, and there is still glare.

My main concern was protecting it against scratches. I did manage to scratch a screen once and was forever annoyed by it. This protector is definitely doing its job on that count and has not developed any scratches of its own. I'm also more at ease when cleaning the display with whatever fabric might be handy while shooting. So overall I'm happy with it and would do it again.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
i was wondering how many people have screen covers over their LCD's on their DSLRs. I have a 50d and i was wondering if it would be worth putting one on there. like a ggs cover over the lcd.

I use an adhesive protector on my 40D and yes, it's definitely worthwhile doing. The protector has several little scratches, etc, that would otherwise have been on the screen had it not been there.

They're quite cheap to buy too. Don't buy one thinking that it'll make the screen look better though.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
oh i understand it doesn't increase quality just protects the surface of the screen itself

Apr 10, 2007
I use the one that came with my D90, it snaps on and off, it stays on almost all the time except when I am reviewing all my pictures at the end of a photo session for quick reviews it stays on.

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
I've looked and have never found one for the canon that snaps on. I ended up getting the invisible shield http://www.zagg.com. It is absolutely wonderful. It is a tad more expensive than other covers but they have a lifetime warranty against scratches, tears etc. I also use one as a full body cover on my iPhone and again can't recommend it enough.

glennp

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
Washington, DC
I'm all for keeping the lcd screen clean and pristine but you do realize that thing you are trying to protect is the lcd screen protection. It's a $7 part available from Canon Parts. As long as you are handy with a suction cup (to pull the existing cover off), it's a fairly quick and easy process.

If the convenience of a film is worth it to you, go for it (I've used both Invisible Shield and BestSkinsEver on phones and iPods and they work great -- BestSkinsEver sells uncut 9x4 sheets for a fairly reasonable price that you can cut yourself to get multiple 40D/50D screen protectors). But the backs of my Canon cameras don't have one on. The built in screen is fairly robust and I'll cross the cheap replacement bridge if I need to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.