Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
Curious as to how other Canon DSLR users choose to use Picture Styles - what is your default setting? What, if any, alternate styles do you use?

Ryox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
UK
I mainly shoot in RAW, if smaller images are needed, sRAW.
But if I shoot in JPEG its set to neutral.

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
Thanks Ryox. Question: styles still apply even to RAW images, do they not? As I understand them, the dfference is that these adjustments are not 'fixed' as they are with JPEG images.

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Thanks Ryox. Question: styles still apply even to RAW images, do they not? As I understand them, the dfference is that these adjustments are not 'fixed' as they are with JPEG images.

As far as I remember, when you use Picture Styles with RAW, the style is applied to the RAW file in DPP (and you can easily remove it, or apply another style during DPP processing).

In any other post processing software (LightRoom or whatever), I think that it's simply ignored.

qveda

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
Canon forums

Hi,
there seem to be a good amount of Nikon forums with lots of articles and reviews, recommendations, etc.

Don't seem to be many similar Canon ones.

wonder why? anyway, Can you point me to some ?

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Hmm, well I shoot in RAW and eventhough I used to use the Standard Picture Style and the thing that I wonder is, the image preview shown in-camera, does it apply the picture style or not? regardless of the image setting? Cause there are many cases where the image seen on computer is different then on screen, like there is this image, in-camera the background is pitch black, which is what I want, bring it to the computer and the background is not exactly pitch black, just dark. And there is also instances where a well colored photo shown in-camera end up as desaturated when in the computer (desaturated also common on kit lens).

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Hi,
there seem to be a good amount of Nikon forums with lots of articles and reviews, recommendations, etc.

Don't seem to be many similar Canon ones.

wonder why? anyway, Can you point me to some ?

There are some very large Canon forums. Here is one for you, but you will have to look for what you want in one of the numerous pages in this web site:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Hmm, well I shoot in RAW and eventhough I used to use the Standard Picture Style and the thing that I wonder is, the image preview shown in-camera, does it apply the picture style or not? regardless of the image setting? Cause there are many cases where the image seen on computer is different then on screen, like there is this image, in-camera the background is pitch black, which is what I want, bring it to the computer and the background is not exactly pitch black, just dark. And there is also instances where a well colored photo shown in-camera end up as desaturated when in the computer (desaturated also common on kit lens).

If you shoot RAW, when you precess the image with PSE6 you can adjust the background to your liking by increasing "Blacks," using "Fill light," and so forth.

On my 40D, I mostly use Landscape (style), but have adjusted the sharpness by one point over default on at least three of the styles (landscape, portrait standard). I haven't used Faithful, nor B&W, so I haven't changed the sharpness on those. I mostly shoot on Av Mode (aperture priority), RAW. If I need to adjust the sharpness on a photo, I do so at the end after converting to JPEG.

There are differences depending on the style you are using, so you may want to read the manual, or at least the books written by David D. Bush for your specific camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.