Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2004
Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
Hi, Rather than asking generic lens advice (which I searched for on the forum) I am interested in your experiences with the Canon EF 28-135 Lens. About to bite the bullet in this walkaround lens. Also considering the Tamron 28-70mm but the Canon has a wider range. Suggestions and experiences welcome!

spider

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2005
I really liked the range it offers. I used to use it on a film body (which made it a solid every-day lens), and on my 10D when I first got a digital. On a crop body though, I found that I needed to carry a wide angle as well. Eventually I stopped carrying the 28-135 as I shoot a lot of wide shots. Another great feature is that it takes semi-macro shots. The IS is ok (not as good as newer L series IS), but certainly convenient. Image quality overall is pretty good.

I also had a lot of problems with the lens. I work in pretty rugged places under harsh conditions, and the auto focus broke after about a year. Also, since the lens extends, it attracted a lot of dust which I can see inside the lens, but it doesn't seem to degrade image quality. The build quality feels a bit fragile and the lens doesn't do well in rain or dust so consider this if it is a factor for you. I felt that the lens was a bit expensive when I got it, but this was when it first came out so perhaps the price is more reasonable now.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the Tamron, but good luck making your decision!

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
For the price it really cant be beaten, the IS is really helpful and allows me to get away with a lot more without having to use a tripod. It is what it is (not L glass or sealed) cheap but not to cheap, good but not so great that is extremely costly either.

I use it as a walk around lens all the time (if not using 50mm f/1.4 - also another great walk around lens for a prime). Keep in mind thought that are using a 1.6 crop body the effective mm is approx. 45mm - 215mm.

You may want a wider lens than 45mm to accompany it.

PS - B&H has that lens for $409 but they are currently closed until the 16th.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I just sold mine, but it wasn't because I didn't like it.

Don't expect the sharpest images in the world, but I've taken many images with that leans that ended up on magazine covers. It's an excellent walk around lens for sure.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Is this the Canon EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS?

If so, it's a real decent lens. A bit of an oldie, but still useful. Of course with the 1.6 crop factor you'll have to wonder whether or not an 18-200 would be better for you. Sigma makes one, not a super fast one, but they do make a halfway decent, probably just as decent as this lens.

The fact with this lens is that I believe you'll have more sharpness at around f8 and then even better at f11 but I think you'll find yourself in a good position still at the widest and at full zoom. I think overall you'll have acceptable sharpness, but it would be improved if you stop down more.

If you can pick it up used I would do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.