Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevinliu4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
I just bought the EF-S 10-22mm this afternoon. What a fantastic and fun lens!

After weeks of playing and trying it out in the store, I finally decided to buy it. It's pretty amazing how wide the coverage is on this lens. I can't wait to take it on holiday somewhere. It's a real shame I didn't have it when I visited India last January.

I now have this lens, the EF 50mm f/1.4 and the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 for more general use. I'm pretty much set for the time being. I haven't found the need for anything longer than the Tamron...not yet anyway :rolleyes:

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
kevinliu4 said:
I just bought the EF-S 10-22mm this afternoon. What a fantastic and fun lens!

After weeks of playing and trying it out in the store, I finally decided to buy it. It's pretty amazing how wide the coverage is on this lens. I can't wait to take it on holiday somewhere. It's a real shame I didn't have it when I visited India last January.

I now have this lens, the EF 50mm f/1.4 and the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 for more general use. I'm pretty much set for the time being. I haven't found the need for anything longer than the Tamron...not yet anyway :rolleyes:

How much was your Tamron? I just bought a canon 24-85 usm thingy on ebay - haven't had chance to do much with it yet.

kevinliu4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Gee said:
How much was your Tamron? I just bought a canon 24-85 usm thingy on ebay - haven't had chance to do much with it yet.

i paid US$346 for my Tamron. Originally, I wanted the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 but it's 3 times as much. I couldn't quite justify the expense, especially when the Tamron is a very good lens in its own right.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
kevinliu4 said:

Sweet, that's similar to my miniscule lens collection! ;) I have a Tokina 12-24 mm f/4 that's like your Canon, and the Sigma 24-70 mm f/2.8 macro rather than the Tamron. I haven't found much of a need to be able to reach further than 70 mm either, and the times I did wish I had a longer lens meant that only the 70-200 mm f/2.8 telephoto would do the trick, and not slower telephotos like a 70-300 mm f/3.5-5.6 or Nikon 18-200 mm f/4-5.6, which is a lens I originally planned on getting when deciding to go with Nikon. I'm not going to buy a 70-200 mm VR f/2.8 though, since it's too expensive for the few times I find I need it. Plus I don't think I'd carry that monster around with me all the time in the slim slim chance that I might use it. :eek:

Gonna get myself a 105 mm macro lens of some sort next, I think. :) If I can, I'd like the Nikon 105 mm VR macro lens, but I guess the VR isn't THAT useful for macro work since the optical stabilization doesn't work when using it at 1:1 or 1:2 reproduction ratio, although it would be useful in non-macro situations.

What else are you thinking of getting? I'd shoot a lot more first before getting another lens, just to see what your desires are.

kevinliu4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Abstract said:
What else are you thinking of getting? I'd shoot a lot more first before getting another lens, just to see what your desires are.

Well, I think I'm done for the time being. I felt comfortable buying the Canon 10-22mm because while I was shooting with the 18-55mm kit lens (I've had the 350D for almost a year now), I always found myself wanting to go wider.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.