Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Ok, I've just started a post as an Artist In Residence for Photography in the arts/Video course at a University.

Today, I unboxed £17,000 worth of camera equipment, and amongst the shininess was a Canon EOS 1D Mk III.

I get access to all the equipment, and I was planning on taking this out and playing around for a week or so.

I have a G4 PowerBook and i'm worried it won't deal with the images, in RAW format...

The Mac Pro's are set-up BUT, i'm going to be primarily using this camera out of working hours, so I will be using my own computer.

Does anyone have experience with images of this calibre on a machine of umm, this calibre??

Rx

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Let's see... the 1D Mk III- 10MP or so, gives you about a 13-14MP RAW....

A G4 powerbook.... You might want to state whether it's a 400MHz TiBook with 128MB of RAM, or if you're running a 1.67 with 1.5GB of RAM... that would get more answers your way.;)

big_scot_nanny

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2004
Switzerland
hang on a minute

I don't think you're totally screwed, but knowing your specs would help. FWIW I was using Abode Lightroom on my 12" G4 PB 1.5ghz and 1.5gb ram to work with RAW files from my canon 5D (12 mb). I also edited with CS2. It did so with no problems, obviosuly not the fastest, but it worked fine. Even processing 700 shot weddings was OK. my new macbook is faster, but not so much that I would regard my old PB as too slow.

My only issue with the PB was HD space, only 80gbs filled up very fast with a camera taking RAW files that large.

Kev

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Lovesong definitely has a point. If it's an aluminum PowerBook I think you can manage, if you have a Titanium PowerBook you're gonna be out of luck.

Mr. B

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2005
I use raw files from a canon rebel xt on an ibook g4 1.4 ghz and it runs ok.

Defiantely not blazing fast, but I can edit them in iphoto and the like just fine.

So... it's very possible you'll be ok.

liveexpo

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2006
Maybe...

I'm currently using a D2X, and editing on a 14in G3 900mhz, 640mb iBook, and although its tough to do large volumes of images (weddings etc), and batch-edit, I find I can still do fairly intensive Photoshop work on the images. I shoot everything in RAW, which with the D2X, gives about a 10mb file size. The problems occur when I convert these to either PSD or TIFF format - as these files are usually in excess of 60mb......

I will be upgrading (which will be a HUGE upgrade!) to the 2.8ghz 24in iMac with 4gb RAM......

Reckon I'll see any improvements in performance?!;)

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
Let's see... the 1D Mk III- 10MP or so, gives you about a 13-14MP RAW....

A G4 powerbook.... You might want to state whether it's a 400MHz TiBook with 128MB of RAM, or if you're running a 1.67 with 1.5GB of RAM... that would get more answers your way.;)

Isnt the MkIII 21mega pixel? It is the MkIIIds that has 10mpx...

Canon really need to change their naming pattern for the D1 line, this is very confusing!

I am still waiting to replace my 5D with the newish version, but I think they havent released it yet because they couldnt figure out how to call it. 6D just doesnt sound right... I bet it is going to be something confusing like 5DII...

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Isnt the MkIII 21mega pixel? It is the MkIIIds that has 10mpx...

Canon really need to change their naming pattern for the D1 line, this is very confusing!

I am still waiting to replace my 5D with the newish version, but I think they havent released it yet because they couldnt figure out how to call it. 6D just doesnt sound right... I bet it is going to be something confusing like 5DII...

no, no. The 1D MkIII is 10.2 MP, and has the 1.3 FOV crop sensor, with the 10 frames per second wet dream sports camera. The 1Ds MkIII is that 24 MP beast, but it's not out yet.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
It's a 1.67, can't believe I forgot to mention that, it's one of my pet hates on this board.

The general opinion is that I should be fine.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.