Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
I'm a little confused with the so many models and a lot of them being quite similar. So i was curious what other say about these two (in subject title) and which they prefer?

I'm most likely gonna buy the 5D Mark II. Anybody know if the 5D Mark III is gonna come out anytime soon?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
The 5D Mark III won't be out for at least 2 years. The Mark II is still fairly new.

The difference is substantial between the 5D MKII and the 1Ds MKIII:

1. Grip
2. Focus points
3. Weather sealings
4. Frames per second
5. Video
6. $2700 vs. $7000.

Need I go on?

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
the 1Ds has:
- slightly more dynamic range
- slightly more resolution
- slightly different color rendering
- extensive weather sealing
- several more custom functions and features that only 1-series bodies have, e.g. AF point spot-metering
- more focus screens
- built-in grip
- longer-lasting battery
- larger buffer
- more frames per second
- dual card slots
- larger viewfinder
- 45-pt AF system (26 assist, 19 selectable)
- can AF with f/8 lenses
- silent shooting mode

what it lacks compared to the 5DII is native ISO 3200 and 6400, video, a high-res LCD, and it's more than double the cost.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I've gotta say (and I mean no disrespect) that if you don't know the difference between the 5D mkII and the 1Ds, and also have to ask if the 5D mk III is coming out soon, that you probably don't have enough photographic need to justify either of these bodies.

It's a large chunk of change to get to this level of gear (I just did it myself) and not something to just jump into. I took over 9 moths to mull it over.

SLC

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
I've gotta say (and I mean no disrespect) that if you don't know the difference between the 5D mkII and the 1Ds, and also have to ask if the 5D mk III is coming out soon, that you probably don't have enough photographic need to justify either of these bodies.

It's a large chunk of change to get to this level of gear (I just did it myself) and not something to just jump into. I took over 9 moths to mull it over.

SLC

i agree it was quickly thrown out there by me, i could've probably compared the specs a little more (and the price difference!), i guess i just wanted to hear some personal opinions.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
i agree it was quickly thrown out there by me, i could've probably compared the specs a little more (and the price difference!), i guess i just wanted to hear some personal opinions.

It's no worry, and really it's none of my business, (thanks for not taking my comment out of context BTW).

Just quickly, have you studied up enough to know what the reasons for shooting FF are, or are you buying this camera because you've heard it's great and you've got the money.

I only ask because the 5D mkII is a very specialized body that's well suited to some applications, and less well suited to others. Perhaps we can help you save some cash while getting the right body for you!

SLC

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
i could've probably compared the specs a little more

You can compare some of the specs side by side here.

The shutter mechanism on the 1Ds Mark III will last a bit more, as it's rated for 300K shutter actuations. I don't recall how many the 5D Mark II is rated for, but I'm pretty sure it's less.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
The shutter mechanism on the 1Ds Mark III will last a bit more, as it's rated for 300K shutter actuations. I don't recall how many the 5D Mark II is rated for, but I'm pretty sure it's less.
Thing is: how many get even close to that? Especially if you're not a pro …*

In any case, I think the OP should reconsider buying such expensive cameras if he doesn't have the experience to use such professional tools. Professional cameras and lenses are also heavy and you may actually take worse pictures -- or none at all, because you don't want to lug around all the equipment. Image quality doesn't matter if you don't take the photo ;)

@OP
What experience do you have? Have you used (d)slrs already? What's your current equipment? What do you typically shoot?

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
SLC

+1

the 1D series will totally kill the 5D in focus, especially in low light. That's the biggest difference IMO (along with weather sealing - shooting outside in the rain gets people's attention).

But really, if you don't know the differences, you really have no business trying to use a 1dS. There are a lot of options and a lot less handholding in a pro body.

From a pure quality of picture image perspective, I doubt you'll see much difference. More money buys better performance in other ways, including durability. The 1 series feels like a tank, the 5D feels like any other cheap dSLR body.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Thing is: how many get even close to that? Especially if you're not a pro …*

I was just an enthusiastic amateur and I shot over 100K pictures with my S1 IS, until it died on me. I'm guessing a pro sports photographer shoots 2-3K pics per event, more if they're also assigned to interviews and such. Burst modes on fast cameras raise your picture count fast.

More money buys better performance in other ways, including durability. The 1 series feels like a tank, the 5D feels like any other cheap dSLR body.

Haha, if the 5D feels like any other cheap DSLR body, my XTi feels like it was fashioned out of tin foil :p

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Haha, if the 5D feels like any other cheap DSLR body, my XTi feels like it was fashioned out of tin foil :p

Wait a second, are you saying the XTi isn't fashioned out of tin foil? Next you'll be telling me that women don't have pillowfights in their underwear when the men aren't around.

My whole view on life has just been shattered.

SLC

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
I believe the OP is in the same position as me in that when I looked for a first time dSLR having no prior experience I looked at both the 5D and 1D Mark IIn (opted for the 1D finally) when they were JUST coming out on the market (the 1D being ~6 months old the 5D brand spankin' new). The reasoning behind why I went with the 1D for a first time dSLR was for the simple fact that I figured if I learned a pro body, pro controls etc not only would I have a camera that'd last (and believe me the 1D series last) a LONG time but I'd "grow" into how it operates, the kind of IQ and features that maybe I don't need at the time but kind of nice to have down the road.

OP: It depends on your usage and what you'd like to do with the body since the 1Ds is designed for a level of performance that'd allow you to capture a lot of what you see around you quite easily due to its AF performance, battery life, ruggedness. It IS however heavy if you got a 580EXII and a 70-200 2.8 on it then it can weigh upwards of 9LB so think about where you'd want to take the camera and how long/much you're willing to lug around the body and lenses when going places. If you plan on shooting scene's with a lot of fast action, ski/sports/events, or you want the best performing camera AND are willing to learn/use/refine yourself then the 1D feels right at home. If all you care about is resolution, you don't mind if the body isn't weather sealed, (and lighter) focus more on portraits and don't mind having a video mode the can record in HD then the 5D Mark II fits the bill.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
I would have perhaps had something to say if the OP were comparing 5Dm2 to a 1Dm2, but comparing to the latest and greatest just feels pointless...

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
I'd like to get more clarification as to the OP and what he or shes wanting to shoot, whats the budget, experience with cameras etc before recommending one or the other as they both fit into two very different segments.

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
+1

the 1D series will totally kill the 5D in focus, especially in low light. That's the biggest difference IMO (along with weather sealing - shooting outside in the rain gets people's attention).

But really, if you don't know the differences, you really have no business trying to use a 1dS. There are a lot of options and a lot less handholding in a pro body.

From a pure quality of picture image perspective, I doubt you'll see much difference. More money buys better performance in other ways, including durability. The 1 series feels like a tank, the 5D feels like any other cheap dSLR body.

While I agree with the performance/weather sealing that the 1D series bodies off though I cant say that the 1D series does any less "hand holding" then the 5D2. Both have green modes that let the camera do all the decision making for you and progress through to manual. The only difference I can see is having two hands to change a setting on the 1Ds vs just switching things at will on the 5D2 that might pose a problem for the noobs at the start.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
While I agree with the performance/weather sealing that the 1D series bodies off though I cant say that the 1D series does any less "hand holding" then the 5D2. Both have green modes that let the camera do all the decision making for you and progress through to manual. The only difference I can see is having two hands to change a setting on the 1Ds vs just switching things at will on the 5D2 that might pose a problem for the noobs at the start.

Just for the record, there is no green square mode to be found on the 1d series. I guess there is "p" mode, but that stands for "piss poor photography" and in 2 years with mine I've never actually used that one ;)

What I meant is that the vast array of user customized settings and the effects of all of them can be overwhelming and can lead to more user error than on most non-1 series bodies. I know it took me awhile to learn how to get to various settings quickly and to customize my menu.

In the end we are talking about a HUGE difference in price and quite frankly I can't imagine anyone spending the coin for a 1dS body if they don't really know what it has to offer. The 5D series is a reasonable amount up from the pure consumer range, the 1dMKIII is another bump, but the 1dS is a enormous jump and if you have to ask such simple questions showing no evidence of technical need for such a beast, you probably shouldn't be buying one, IMHO. ('you' being used in the 'one' manner, not directed towards anyone in particular)

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK

You only need two hands to change shooting mode and a few other settings, the Mark III series of 1D cameras went down the more typical Canon control route with single-button operation for a lot of things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.