Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
i found a Canon EOS 20D for 400 bucks off craigslist and im wondering how good is this camera do up to the Nikon D40, Canon Rebel XT(i), Sony A200??
i noticed it was made in 2004 whereas d40, XT(i), A200 were made in the 2006 and up year

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
i found a Canon EOS 20D for 400 bucks off craigslist and im wondering how good is this camera do up to the Nikon D40, Canon Rebel XT(i), Sony A200??
i noticed it was made in 2004 whereas d40, XT(i), A200 were made in the 2006 and up year

I'm a Nikon user, but the 20D is a cool cam. I would rather have it than a XT or Nikon D40. I haven't used any of the Sony cams, so I have no idea.

$400 sounds quite good to *me*. That way, you can invest in glass and always resell the 20D for VERY little loss. Since I strongly prefer Nikon's ergonomics, metering, flash system etc, I would encourage you to investigate which **system** you prefer before diving in...regardless of how good a deal a particular camera. DIGITAL cameras come and go!

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
I'm a Nikon user, but the 20D is a cool cam. I would rather have it than a XT or Nikon D40. I haven't used any of the Sony cams, so I have no idea.

$400 sounds quite good to *me*. That way, you can invest in glass and always resell the 20D for VERY little loss. Since I strongly prefer Nikon's ergonomics, metering, flash system etc, I would encourage you to investigate which **system** you prefer before diving in...regardless of how good a deal a particular camera. DIGITAL cameras come and go!

That's good advice. I went down the Canon track, but that was before I knew anything about systems, etc. Now I wish I'd tried both Canon and Nikon, just to see which one I'd prefer. I'm more than happy with Canon all the same.

To the OP: $400 is about the normal price for a used 20D at the moment. What features does it have that you require?

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
I paid £1300/$2400 for one some years ago. Used it for 5 months and it's been my back up camera to my 5D ever since and I've never needed it.
So for $400, you'll be getting a lot of bang for very few bucks. And the low light quality is better than any Nikon bar the D3/D700.

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
right now im just looking for a good "low-light" ability and image stabilizer also im wondering if this will fit my old Canon Rebel XT (film) lenses

im most impressed by sony's "d-range optimizer" does the 20D have something like that as well?

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
right now im just looking for a good "low-light" ability and image stabilizer also im wondering if this will fit my old Canon Rebel XT (film) lenses

Canon EF lenses for film cameras are fully compatible with their SLR digitals. However, EF-S lenses are not compatible with Canon film cameras nor their 35mm digital cameras (5D, 1D). I'd have to recommend avoiding the EF-S range, just in case you decide to go for a 5D or 1D later on.

As for using EF lenses on the 20D, you have to account for the 'crop factor'. The 20D has a crop factor of 1.6x. This means that a 24mm lens works at 38mm on a 20D. A 70mm lens works at 112mm, and a 200mm lens works at 320mm.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
It's the camera I've shot with for almost 3 years now, it holds up great! It's missing several new features of course, but in low-light it does good enough. I've had to use ISO3200 quite often and it's been decent.

Any EF lens will work, and EF-S for that matter. I'd take it over a Rebel anyday, mostly cause I'm used to the easier access to certain menus and features, such as changing exposure comp with a spin of the thumb instead of push one button and rotate a separate dial.

Most of the pictures on my website (sig) were shot with it, but my site isn't working right now as I'm moving hosting companies today.

tinfai

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
Canon 20D with 18-55IS

im most impressed by sony's "d-range optimizer" does the 20D have something like that as well?

Thomahawk -- While I still have a preference for my film cameras, here are some photos I took with my 20D in very low light.

20D Photos

(NB: all these were taken handheld.)

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom
I use to have a 20D. I think it was a fantastic camera. Very good image quality, decent focusing system, good ISO range and pretty low noise too.
I'd take a 20D over even the new 450D because the 20D has much much better build quality and image quality if I'm honest.

The only thing I will say to you is, try and find out what the shutter count is on that 20D. The reason is, if it's a high shutter count it may not we worth buying...
If a shutter breaks it's cheaper just buying a new camera as replacement of a shutter is just far too expensive.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I still have and use my EOS 20D, and it's a lovely camera. Still produces nice results and good ISO handling. Sure, it lacks Live View and that kind of rubbish, but really, who cares about that?

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Sure, it lacks Live View and that kind of rubbish, but really, who cares about that?
Well, I won't call Live View rubbish cause Im sure in certain conditions or shots, live view will be able to help the photographers to make a better shot.
Especially those kind of shots where the photographer is unable to use the camera viewfinder.

So far Sony implementation of the viewfinder seems the most logical to me, tilt-able LCDs, the only problem with that design is it adds weight and a some protrusion to the back of the camera body.

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
I have a 10D that I still use regularly and I'm rarely disappointed by the technical aspects of the shots.....the composition maybe, but that's not usually the camera's fault.

I'd say get it.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Well, I won't call Live View rubbish cause Im sure in certain conditions or shots, live view will be able to help the photographers to make a better shot.
Especially those kind of shots where the photographer is unable to use the camera viewfinder.

So far Sony implementation of the viewfinder seems the most logical to me, tilt-able LCDs, the only problem with that design is it adds weight and a some protrusion to the back of the camera body.

At the moment, LV is a gimmick. Slow to AF, clumsy to use in general. If you're in the afore-mentioned crowd you're not going to have time to hold the camera and wait for it to slowly obtain focus. Coupled with the fact that only Sony has tiltable screens on some of their cameras means that you generally can't see the LV screen that well anyway.

I have it on my 1D, used it once to see what it did, then turned it off. Never missed it since.

Bootsie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Utah
I have a 20D, and I love it! I much prefer canon to nikon for my use, and the 20D has served me well for the last few years.

tinfai

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
2008 Hong Kong Motorcycle Show

2008 Hong Kong Motorcycle Show Photos

Here's a recent group of shots taken at the annual motorcycle event two days ago. While the 20D isn't the newest model on the block, it's extremely reliable and proved to be more than up to the task even while being bumped and knocked around in the crowded, boisterous environment. These shots were taken about 30-50 minutes before sunset. Some were assisted with flash (580 EX) and some without.

tinfai

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
(Hosting providers are now reporting that the servers will be down from HK time 1900-2200, 4 Oct 2008 for maintenance. Check back later.)

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
That depends on what you want to do. Generally, newer cameras have better noise behavior, but the difference is not as dramatic anymore. Plus, the three-digit series is limited to ISO 1600 anyway.

The other factor which might be more important is speed: newer cameras have a faster start-up and a larger frame buffer. If you are shooting portraits and stuff and little action, the last point is irrelevant.

The big plus, of course, is the viewfinder, the size and the quality of the camera. I wish Nikon were to release a full-metal body for a similar price point, I like the additional weight, heft and feel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.