Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Ive NEVER used this on my camera.(Live View) Is there any benefits to it?
My old digital camera only had the screen, no view finder but ever since I got my SLR I only use the view finder. Am I missing out on anything by not using Live View? Does Live View show me anything different than the view finder?

Thanks.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I don't use it much myself either (and it not obligatory to use it!)

I find it most useful in tripod shots - it can make composition easier, or more convenient if the camera is set up so that the viewfinder is uncomfortable to get to.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
I don't use it much myself either (and it not obligatory to use it!)

I find it most useful in tripod shots - it can make composition easier, or more convenient if the camera is set up so that the viewfinder is uncomfortable to get to.

Yea I havent even turned it on to try it!
But my question is, will the Live View show you a more accurate representation of the actual shot compared to the view finder?

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
The answer is 'it depends'.

The viewfinder will give you a higher resolution image, and should be better to discern focussing - but on the 1000, the viewfinder doesn't cover 100% of the final image.

You'll see the complete final image better on the LCD, and it will probably be easier to judge whether the camera is properly level, and fine tune composition.

ThunderRobot

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
But my question is, will the Live View show you a more accurate representation of the actual shot compared to the view finder?

If anything - in my experience - it's the opposite.

Live View is slightly offset on my 50D. Not enough to be a problem, but it tends not to show some information which is captured on the left hand side.

I find Live View to be beneficial on a tripod using a remote when the viewfinder is covered to reduce light contamination. It's not more 'accurate', but in that situation is more useful.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Ok thanks guys!
I guess it would come in useful when I'm taking pictures of stars as I'm always having to turn the display off to see through the view finder. (to much light on my eye to be able to see the night sky through the view finder)

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I only use liveview when I need to get the correct angle only when it is hard to me to place my eye on the viewfinder. I will turn on live view, get the angle I want, turn it of and use the shutter cause Canon 1kD and 450D live view AutoFocusing is dog slow until the extend of unusable.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
I only use liveview when I need to get the correct angle only when it is hard to me to place my eye on the viewfinder. I will turn on live view, get the angle I want, turn it of and use the shutter cause Canon 1kD and 450D live view AutoFocusing is dog slow until the extend of unusable.

Thanks for all your help! I appreciate it!

mabcan

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2008
Oeiras, Portugal
Live view is a good help

Live view is an excellent help when shooting in studio. It helps you to review what will be the final shot.

I use it often when shooting steady objects, specially glass, so I can reolve the reflections on the surfaces.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Live view is an excellent help when shooting in studio. It helps you to review what will be the final shot.

I use it often when shooting steady objects, specially glass, so I can reolve the reflections on the surfaces.

It's also very useful for certain macro photography. For example, at a lab, when you want certainty in focus accuracy. I have used it a few times when taking photos of flowers with my 40D, since it allows me to check the focus as I press the Zoom button all the way to 10X. Most times I just use the viewfinder, however. But, Live View uses more battery power than usual, and since the mirror is retracted and out of the way, you have to be careful not to point the camera toward the sun very long and damage the sensor.

B.A.

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2007
I rarely use live view. It has its uses, as mentioned above, but I think for most applications you're better off using the viewfinder.

JNB

macrumors 604
For me, Live View on the 40D will make telephotography much less of a guessing game. The viewfinder diopter adjustment when mated to a telescope was always more pain than it was worth.

Other than that though, I probably won't have much use for it, but I'll still experiment a bit.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Ive NEVER used this on my camera.(Live View) Is there any benefits to it?
My old digital camera only had the screen, no view finder but ever since I got my SLR I only use the view finder. Am I missing out on anything by not using Live View? Does Live View show me anything different than the view finder?

Thanks.

The only thing I'll add to what others have said is that your shutter is good for a certain number of actuations. Liveview requires an extra shutter actuation for each shot you use it for. If you always use it, you halve your shutter's lifespan in terms of number of images. Depending on how much you shoot, that could be significant.

Chokladkakan

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2008
A useful thing is that (atleast at the 50D) you can let Live View show a 10x zoom of the focuspoint, which is really useful when you're in need of spot on forcus.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
A useful thing is that (atleast at the 50D) you can let Live View show a 10x zoom of the focuspoint, which is really useful when you're in need of spot on forcus.

Also, one thing that the screen renders that our eyes can't is the shallow DOF, our eyes can't naturally 'see' the same shallow DOF that lenses see, whereas shooting in LiveView allows your eyes (on screen) to see what they cannot through the viewfinder.

jakfrost

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2008
Ontario Canada
Well admittedly I am very new at this DSLR thing, and the truth is the Canon Xsi is my first venture into SLR's since my nikon F5.
Changes in employment and otherwise caused me keep my 40 year hobby to a point and shoot for the last 9 years. Latest version being Canon's SD880IS.

No, really, I am going somewhere with this...sooooo, I am very used to using the screen for everything since that is all I have had on the last 2 cameras.

Consequently I was excited to have the 'viewfinder' back on my new camera with the screen as an option using live view. I was discouraged when looking at the first few pictures I took using the viewfinder after I discovered that in order to get the framing I intended I would have to crop the viewfinder almost into peoples foreheads, since it (the viewfinder) only shows about 95% (less in my opinion) of the actual frame.

So when shooting portraits/groups or anything else where you would like an accurate framing of your subject it is easier to use the live view, especially with the 'grid' option selected.

I'm not convinced I have the 'focus' subject nailed yet using live view, ( following the instructions in the manual ), but all my photos have come out sharp so far...:eek:.

Just my $0.02...

Jim

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
Live View can show the exposure estimate on the screen, which tends to be more accurate than the metering in the viewfinder. Another feature is being able to focus manually with more accuracy than is available through the viewfinder. Live View is only another tool, and its use is not obligatory.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Well admittedly I am very new at this DSLR thing, and the truth is the Canon Xsi is my first venture into SLR's since my nikon F5.
Changes in employment and otherwise caused me keep my 40 year hobby to a point and shoot for the last 9 years. Latest version being Canon's SD880IS.

No, really, I am going somewhere with this...sooooo, I am very used to using the screen for everything since that is all I have had on the last 2 cameras.

Consequently I was excited to have the 'viewfinder' back on my new camera with the screen as an option using live view. I was discouraged when looking at the first few pictures I took using the viewfinder after I discovered that in order to get the framing I intended I would have to crop the viewfinder almost into peoples foreheads, since it (the viewfinder) only shows about 95% (less in my opinion) of the actual frame.

So when shooting portraits/groups or anything else where you would like an accurate framing of your subject it is easier to use the live view, especially with the 'grid' option selected.

I'm not convinced I have the 'focus' subject nailed yet using live view, ( following the instructions in the manual ), but all my photos have come out sharp so far...:eek:.

Just my $0.02...

Jim
You can also use the Canon software and a screen (computer screen) to look at the subject in Live View. I seldom use this feature, however.

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
I absolutely love live view. I have it set so the button in the circle(select maybe :confused: ) turns it on and then I use it for real low shots so I dont have to lay on the ground or a lot of the times when Im at the rae track and need to shoot over a fence or something, it makes getting the composition right a lot easier then just waving the camera around.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I just returned from a Photography trip to Berlin and Munich. I do a lot of museum photography, where the low-light conditions require manual focusing much of the time. Also, I was using a tripod extensively in one museum this morning. In both cases, having Live View is a real boon; I took hundreds of shots using it in the last few days. I guess I burned up a lot of shutter actuations, but it was the only way I could nail the focus most of the time. It was also very convenient when I had the tripod very low to the floor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.