Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
This is gonna be an odd request which may be misplaced here...but here goes.

If I wanted to use Canon FD lenses on another camera that has NO mount, i.e. a lensboard, besides hacking apart an old Canon camera, what are my choices?

FD lenses are made to always be wide open for focusing and stop down during exposure. In the setup Im imagining the turning of the aperture ring actually stops down the lens as in "DoF preview" on an actual Canon body.

I cant think of the correct keywords to look for this kind of thing online. Adapters just give me FD mount to other lens mounts...perhaps I need a something else to FD mount and just use the other lens mount type as a way to attach to the lensboard?

Why do I want to do this? Because I have alot of FD lenses and want to try them in some experimental Polaroid cameras! (like my avatar)

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I don't think FD lenses focus wide and stop down, nothing of the sort?

FD lenses don't even autofocus, and I guess if you mean manual focusing wide open I've always focused my AE1 stopped down when needed.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
they focus at the widest aperture and then when you trip the shutter something moves that arm within the FD mount that trips the set fstop during exposure.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I think you'd be better off looking for old LF glass- isn't the shutter up by the lens in the Polaroid? As far as I know, you can't mount an FD lens in a shutter, and the flange to film plane distance is likely to be a huge issue (42mm is normal for the FD mount- one of the shallowest mounts and the reason Canon changed to the EF mount when they did) Add to that the small image circle of these lenses and you're probably going to get results that aren't good even if you can get the thing to focus and if you could time shots by removing/replacing a lens cap.

greg555

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2005
Canada
I don't know if the Canon mount is like this but often bellows come with a double cable release. One to trip the shutter and the other to stop down the lens.

So if you had the front plate from a bellows and the cable release you could manually control when the lens stops down.

Greg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.