Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
i'm looking for a cheap fisheye that connects to the body of a canon 50d rather than connecting to the lens

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
The thing is that with a cropped sensor like the 50D, the fisheye effect produced by the lens has to be very powerful because the cropped sensor is only imaging the "center" of the image circle produced by the lens. Therefore, the Canon 15mm fisheye produces only a very slight fisheye effect on the 50D. Not to mention it's $500+ price tag.

On my Rebel XT (also cropped sensor), I have the Peleng 8mm fisheye. It has no electrical interconnects with the body so you have to turn 2 rings to set the aperture and focus manually, but the image quality is really excellent and it produces a strong fisheye effect. It's only real downside is bad lens flare. I got a used one from ebay for $300. Honestly, it's your best bet for budget fisheye. Anything cheaper and you're basically going to be looking at sh*t image quality.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
i myself wa slooking for a semi-decent fisheye lens too for my rebel xt... i found nothing for less than 350 if you do...let me know...

flinch13

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2004
How about the MC Zenitar fisheye? Manual focus only, but decent quality. It can be had for <$200. To be honest, I don't use mine very much; fisheye lenses are kind of a novelty and don't have much real use, but when you do need them, they can be fun.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.