Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I just got both (yes both!) of these cameras for testing to see which one I will ultimately end up keeping. For the most part, reviews say that the S90 is just the G10/G11 in a smaller pocket sized camera. I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who has some opinions on both cameras - is there anything that the S90 is deprived of, that is in the G11 besides the swivel screen? From all my reading the G11 offers just more zoom, swivel screen, and accessible controls. Is there anything else that I am missing in the S90?

I will be using this non DSLR camera to take quick street photos (artistic shots), adventures with friends (dinners, parties, outdoor activities), daytrips to DC (museums), and the nice high quality photos for my ebay listings. What do you guys think? Will the S90 do it?

kyzen

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Colorado
The G11 is a more capable camera, and if you don't already have a DSLR, and don't mind the bulk, probably the better of the two.

That said, I personally want an S90 :)

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Basically, you need to ask yourself if portability is an issue. If it is, opt for the S90. If not, then the G11 is a more capable camera, thanks to its hotshoe. Although the S90 does have a better aperture...

mbtalle

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2008
ATL
I don't know a whole lot about photography but if the s90 is ~$400 new, why wouldn't you buy a used DSLR w/ lens on ebay for around the same? I'm asking because I'm looking into getting a good camera and I've read and seen a lot of good stuff coming from the s90.

So since I'm a noob at all this, would getting an s90 be my best bet?

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I don't know a whole lot about photography but if the s90 is ~$400 new, why wouldn't you buy a used DSLR w/ lens on ebay for around the same? I'm asking because I'm looking into getting a good camera and I've read and seen a lot of good stuff coming from the s90.
Because you can't put a DSLR in your pocket.

The best camera is the one you have with you...
Don't know.

Are you likely to want to learn lots about photography, get more lenses etc.? Do you need the best picture quality? If so, you need a DSLR.

If you'd prefer an easy to use camera that just takes cool pictures of your family the s90 is probably fine.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA

I have a full size and heavy DSLR (D200+17-55mm f2.8). So basically my D200 rig doesn't really help me unless I truly plan to take pictures if you know what i mean.

Portability is the main difference between the s90 and g11, but I am not sure if there is much else different besides that, and the screen, heft, hotshoe, etc. I don't own any canon speedlights, but apparently the s90 is a great low light performer because of the f2.0. I guess I am just worried that it is an overpriced point and shoot, and I am worried that the g11 is just an s90 with bells and whistles.

kyzen

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Colorado
Well both are really popular, well selling cameras. I find the S90 to just be a lot of fun to use - the control ring around the lens is a blast. It's definitely more portable. I had a G10 for awhile, thinking it would be a good substitute for my DSLR for portable use. It was just as big and heavy, so I sold it before it lost too much value. Planning to get an S90 sooner or later, as it would be significantly more portable, and provide a nice balance between the manual controls I've come to rely on on my 7D, and the ease of a point and shoot.

I just kind of want it to drop closer to $300 first :p

peapody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Well both are really popular, well selling cameras. I find the S90 to just be a lot of fun to use - the control ring around the lens is a blast. It's definitely more portable. I had a G10 for awhile, thinking it would be a good substitute for my DSLR for portable use. It was just as big and heavy, so I sold it before it lost too much value. Planning to get an S90 sooner or later, as it would be significantly more portable, and provide a nice balance between the manual controls I've come to rely on on my 7D, and the ease of a point and shoot.

I just kind of want it to drop closer to $300 first :p

You make good points. I was thinking the G11 would be a good complement to the D200 I own already but even the G11 is hefty. I really wish the S90 had a hotshoe...but I can work around that I think. The D200 is simply too much to carry for lets say, pictures at restaurants or dinner parties - my guests think I am crazy. No matter how much I want to go for high quality pictures - sometimes you just want to "fit in"..hahah

I got my s90 for $340, and my g11 for $375..used in mint condition of course. I really hope the s90 isnt just a glorified point and shoot.

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
I have the G11 and S90 as well as a 5D. The S90 gets the most use because it is pocketable. I'm selling the G11 because if I have to carry a camera case it might as well be a DSLR.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.