Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DELINDA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
After reviewing the features and comparing the Canon G9-G10 it would seam the G9 has ,more to offer . Yes I know the 10 has more pixels but the 9 is lighter and has more zoom capability . The 9 is also cheaper . Am I missing the obvious . I did read the spec sheets . There are pros for both sides . Why would I want to buy the 9 , that is if I can find one .

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
dpreview.com lists the advances of the G10 over the G9 as:

* Higher resolution (14.7MP vs 12MP)
* New wider coverage Lens (starts at 28mm)
* Redesigned front grip with textured cover
* Improved Face Detection technology
* DIGIC 4 for improved image processing
* New higher capacity battery (1050 mAh up from 720mAh)
* Improved LCD screen resolution (461K vs 230K)
* Exposure compensation dial
* New flat and tilted buttons

Their review is here.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
dpreview.com lists the advances of the G10 over the G9 as:

Their review is here.

This is correct. However, let's discuss the real-life advances.

The censor size has not increased and yet the megapixels have. What does that mean? That means more noise or rather, less tolerance to low-light shots. The test shots do not reveal this and it is quite possible that there is more noise reduction going on in-camera to compensate for the increase in MP on the standard censor size. However, noise reduction often equates to lack of sharpness.

The grip is an improvement. I ended up buying a grip and I love it. I thought it was more of a missing feature on the G9.

The wider angle pretty much makes the wide-angle lens attachment for the G9 obsolete. If I recall, the attachment, which runs about $120+/- gives you the same wide angle that the new G10 gives as standard. This is not worth me buying and ditching the G9, but it was a note worthy improvement.

The exposure compensation dial is laughable at best. Honestly, using the menus to change EV is just fine. But hey, we have to justify the price increase.

The higher capacity battery is dreamy. The current G9 battery is indeed a nice little workhorse. I often forget to charge mine and I get away with murder as far as using it. The extra mAh should offer quite a bit more shots in RAW or JPEG.

The rest is just laughable again.

I think the G9 is a great buy. The current wide/zoom is passable and what you cannot get you can zoom or go wide with your feet or spend $300 on the zoom/wide adaptors.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
The censor size has not increased and yet the megapixels have. What does that mean? That means more noise or rather, less tolerance to low-light shots.

I think some of the sensor size issues are offset by the new DIGIC IV system.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I think some of the sensor size issues are offset by the new DIGIC IV system.

Yes but again, think about the amount of processing in camera. Sure, noise reduction, sharpen, etc. Eventually though you have this great image that won't tolerate much cropping. Maybe not a big deal to most, certainly not to me since it is really just a carry around camera where the DSLRs are used for the heavy lifting, but still ... I think (hope) you get my drift.

vorkorsigan

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto
From someone who has a G10, it does what it says on the tin. Don't expect DSLR quality on noise and low light performance. If you need that get a DSLR or a Leica (at twice the price).

But, great quality for us normal guys and I have even heard a pro state on a web site that they have sold shots from it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.