Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kinesin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
I've just purchased a Ixus 60, (or SD600 for those in the states) and it doesn't appear to be able to connect to my Macbook. :(
The software requirements do say it needs a G3/4/5 processer while I've got an intel, however isn't rosetta, supposed to take care of that.
I've installed the EOS software, put the camera in the correct mode, to no joy within EOS, all the buttons remain greyed out...

Does any one have the Ixus 60/65 working on a Macbook or Macbook Pro? How about ixus cameras?

geese

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
I've got a canon powershot, it should work fine with Macs.

It should work fine using iPhoto. You dont need to install any software. Plug your camera in. Make sure the camera is in view mode (switched on, natch), and load iPhoto. I iPhoto should give you an option to import photos then.

kinesin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
Thank you, Iphoto works fine - it was always going to be simple. :D

I was just suprised that the camera doesn't show up as a memory card or hard drive etc on the desktop, to be browser able in finder. My older digi cam did this.

I don't like the canon software on the PC anyway, and the instruction don't mention anything out just loading iphoto.. so much for reading the manual. ;)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
There's an idiosyncrasy with Canon and Apple, which oddly has never been fixed, considering how many co-owners there are.... I guess it's never been fixed because it's a "do it Apple's way" thing. But most Canons do not mount on the desktop as drives on Macs. Some other brands do.

But anyway, there are two major ways to get photos onto a Mac, so I wanted to embellish a little on the excellent previous response.

1) Is to use iPhoto as discussed

2) Is to use Image Capture. This utility is in your applications folder. It's only function is the raw acquisition of images (not only from cameras but also from scanners). If you for some reason did not want iPhoto to manage your images, this program just lets you download them to wherever you want.

The other reason that it is good to know about (2) is that in the preferences for Image Capture, you can set the default behavior when a camera is plugged in. It should be defaulted to load iPhoto when the camera is plugged in, but if not, you can set that here (as well as to load IC, to do nothing, etc.).

If you set iPhoto as default, whenever you plug the camera in, it will load iPhoto and go automatically to the iPhoto screen that says, "xxx photos to import."

:)

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
When I plug either my 10D or my Ixus into my iMac or MB, iPhoto sees the camera and imports the photos. It also gives me the option of copying or moving the photos.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Another way to circumvent any compatibility issues between camera and computer, and IMHO the safest and best way of getting images from the camera into the computer is to use a separate memory card reader. Usually these are USB, although I think Lexar does put out a firewire one, too, and one simply removes the memory card from the camera and sticks it into the card reader. The reader appears on my desktop as another drive. I can view the images right then or I can begin uploading immediately. I do not use iPhoto. Instead, I open Finder, open Pictures, and then establish a new folder within Pictures or just upload and rename it later. I also then separately upload again into Aperture so that the images will be available there for reviewing, ranking and processing. After I've looked at a few images to make sure that they indeed are now safely in the computer in the places I want them to be, I then eject the memory card reader from the computer, put the memory card back into the camera and reformat it.

Why a memory card reader? I have always felt that it would be safer if anything were to go wrong to screw up a $25 memory card reader than my camera. It also does not put a strain on the camera's battery. Most professionals use memory card readers for the same reasons I do.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Memory card readers *are* ace, although I don't use one. Getting 100 photos off my 300D is not so pleasant, and using USB2 or FW with a card reader would be a huge improvement. ;)

Just be absolutely positively sure to eject the memory card via OS X (or Windows for anyone using Windows) before you pull it out of the reader....

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
mkrishnan said:
Memory card readers *are* ace, although I don't use one. Getting 100 photos off my 300D is not so pleasant, and using USB2 or FW with a card reader would be a huge improvement. ;)

Just be absolutely positively sure to eject the memory card via OS X (or Windows for anyone using Windows) before you pull it out of the reader....

Yes, a memory card reader is a lot faster, I think, than using the camera. And, yes, it is VERY important to eject the memory card reader correctly from OS X or Windows prior to removing the card itself from the reader. It is also important to reformat the card IN THE CAMERA and NOT in the computer.

macuser999

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2009
Another way to circumvent any compatibility issues between camera and computer, and IMHO the safest and best way of getting images from the camera into the computer is to use a separate memory card reader. Usually these are USB, although I think Lexar does put out a firewire one, too, and one simply removes the memory card from the camera and sticks it into the card reader. The reader appears on my desktop as another drive. I can view the images right then or I can begin uploading immediately. I do not use iPhoto. Instead, I open Finder, open Pictures, and then establish a new folder within Pictures or just upload and rename it later. I also then separately upload again into Aperture so that the images will be available there for reviewing, ranking and processing. After I've looked at a few images to make sure that they indeed are now safely in the computer in the places I want them to be, I then eject the memory card reader from the computer, put the memory card back into the camera and reformat it.

Why a memory card reader? I have always felt that it would be safer if anything were to go wrong to screw up a $25 memory card reader than my camera. It also does not put a strain on the camera's battery. Most professionals use memory card readers for the same reasons I do.

hey, interesting post...

I have a canon powershot SD780 IS and a mac book G4.
I just want to download the images I have on my memory card to my mac book without using any program such as"IPhoto" or "camerawindow".

Please help me, because my computer doesn't recognize the camera as a new drive on my mac!

what can I do?

thanks for advice

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela

If you use Lightroom, you can have it automatically eject the card for you. :)

Attachments

• Eject.jpg
    Eject.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 127
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.