Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Does anyone know if Canons' L series lenses have always come with lens hoods? I purchased a used Canon 70-200 f/4 and the sales lady said it did not have a hood included because Canon does not ship hoods with the lowest level L glass namely the 70-200 f/4 model. I know this to be incorrect with new lenses but around 2004 when this copy was made did Canon include hoods in the box? I have spent the last hour looking online and can't seem to find any thing to prove either way. Any help would be great.

John

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
If you want/need a hood and one is not included with the used lens, make sure the price is good enough that you can buy the hood. If the price is too high to buy a hood too, wait for the next one.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Thanks guys. I bought the lens this week from National Camera in Minnesota. I paid 500.00 for it used, knowing full well I can return it within 30 days. I'm leaning towards returning it and just buying a new copy from B&H. It does seem like hogwash that Canon would sell an L series lens without a hood, but I was not sure.

John

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Lens hoods come with all the L lenses. When I bought my old 70-200mm ƒ/4L it came with a lens hood, as did my old 17-40mm ƒ/4L. She told you that because she wanted to get a higher price for the lens without including the hood.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
all Canon L lenses and Sigmas come with a hood and lens case (well, pouch for the Canons). i know Tamrons come with a hood, dunno about the case.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Lots of fradulent/shady retailers will use this tactic.

They will offer something for cheaper and then "sell you" what its supposed to come with for extra money (a lot extra). If you decline they usually tell you "Oh well we only have the package that comes with the lens and the hood. We don't have the package that comes with just the lens"

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Read more carefully folks. This lens was used. A used lens won't necessarily come with all the items that are included with a new lens. This is not a case of a fraudulent dealer.

Doesn't sound like a great deal though, unless the lens is in pristine condition.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Lens hoods come with all the L lenses. When I bought my old 70-200mm ƒ/4L it came with a lens hood, as did my old 17-40mm ƒ/4L. She told you that because she wanted to get a higher price for the lens without including the hood.

Can I ask when you bought the Canon 70-200 f/4?

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Read more carefully folks. This lens was used. A used lens won't necessarily come with all the items that are included with a new lens. This is not a case of a fraudulent dealer.

Doesn't sound like a great deal though, unless the lens is in pristine condition.

Good points. I didn't read carefully :D $500.00 for a used EF 70-200mm f/4 is not a good deal at all, considering that new it only costs $599.00 at B&H, and it includes a hood, caps, and case.

catalyst11

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2009
Mpls
Thanks guys. I bought the lens this week from National Camera in Minnesota. I paid 500.00 for it used, knowing full well I can return it within 30 days. I'm leaning towards returning it and just buying a new copy from B&H. It does seem like hogwash that Canon would sell an L series lens without a hood, but I was not sure.

John

Which National Camera did you go to? I'll make sure not to go there. My 70-200 2.8L came with a hood as well. I usually don't buy anything there unless it's last minute or if my work will pay for it.

mabcan

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2008
Oeiras, Portugal
Does anyone know if Canons' L series lenses have always come with lens hoods? I purchased a used Canon 70-200 f/4 and the sales lady said it did not have a hood included because Canon does not ship hoods with the lowest level L glass namely the 70-200 f/4 model. I know this to be incorrect with new lenses but around 2004 when this copy was made did Canon include hoods in the box? I have spent the last hour looking online and can't seem to find any thing to prove either way. Any help would be great.

John

These type of lens always includes lens hood. Its their premium lens.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Thanks for all the input. I'm going to return the lens to NatCam and just buy a new copy from B&H with the full Canon warranty and the accessories.

Which National Camera did you go to? I'll make sure not to go there. My 70-200 2.8L came with a hood as well. I usually don't buy anything there unless it's last minute or if my work will pay for it.

I bought the lens from the Maple Grove store, but I had the lens transferred from the Edina location. If you want the name of the sales person I worked with PM me.

John

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.