Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
I just got a Digital Rebel XT a month ago. Been experimenting with the kit lens and am thinking about slowly expanding my lense collection in the next couple months.

I was just wondering what the canon lenses normally come with when you buy them, as far as cases/pouches, lens caps, and lens hoods. I'll buy whatever they don't come with, but don't want to buy extra hoods/pouches if I don't need too.

Thanks in advance.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
TheAnswer said:
I just got a Digital Rebel XT a month ago. Been experimenting with the kit lens and am thinking about slowly expanding my lense collection in the next couple months.

I was just wondering what the canon lenses normally come with when you buy them, as far as cases/pouches, lens caps, and lens hoods. I'll buy whatever they don't come with, but don't want to buy extra hoods/pouches if I don't need too.

Thanks in advance.

L lenses generally come with a hood and pouch, although my 28-135 IS USM came with a hood. Every Sigma I have ever bought came with a hood and pouch.

If you buy any other lens, invest 80 bucks in an EF 50 1.8 II - you won't soon regret it and it won't drain your bank account.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I've always wondered why you can buy a lens like the 10-22mm from canon for $650 and have to pay more for the hood. Get the sigma 10-20mm with a hood and softcase for $450.

I've never had a lens faster than f2.8 and I get by ok.

cuz generally canon/nikon glass is better constructed than the discount brands like tamron and sigma
hence their price diff - obviously there is some pricing because of the brand name too, but i find that the price differences can be justified, if not why would pros use it

get uv filters to protect your lens (some ppl say it causes image degradation) - but if rather have slight image degradation (if any) rather than a scratchd front element forcing me to buy another lens

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
virividox said:
cuz generally canon/nikon glass is better constructed than the discount brands like tamron and sigma
hence their price diff - obviously there is some pricing because of the brand name too, but i find that the price differences can be justified, if not why would pros use it

get uv filters to protect your lens (some ppl say it causes image degradation) - but if rather have slight image degradation (if any) rather than a scratchd front element forcing me to buy another lens
Thats why there is Sigma EX, but what I'm meaning is why is Canon so greedy that they charge you 600+ for a lens and don't include a lens hood? the hood costs them what, 50¢ to make?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
jared_kipe said:
I've always wondered why you can buy a lens like the 10-22mm from canon for $650 and have to pay more for the hood. Get the sigma 10-20mm with a hood and softcase for $450

Call it the "value added" benefit for buying a third party lens. For companies like Nikon and Canon - certain lenses require them and their dealers to make some better margins on. So lens-hoods might not be included. It also may represent the market they are aimed at.

AT least IMO, a decent number of internet camera users realize the benefit of a hood lets say. But the major portion of the market does not. Or will not want to look like some photo geek. :) I say that because of shooting with a Rebel Ti and my 17-40L with a hood attached. I am thought as a pro, or one that has expensive gear. Go without the hood, and I am any other "tourist".

For most do not know the benefit of a hood in harsh lighting situations (meaning sun coming from "tight" angles.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
virividox said:

It really depends on what level lens you are looking at. With the like of Canon L lenses, and many of the $1000+ Nikon lenses this may be true. But flare is flare.

Third party lens companies are deeply involved in making popularly priced lenses for the camera manufacturers. Third parties have volume on their side in lens design.

One only has to look at the Konica-Minolta 11-18 DSLR lens as an example. One guess as to whom they sought out for that design. Cosmetics played a part in the higher cost of the K-M. But other factors may have been involved as well.

The point being, one can not assume that a lens made by camera manufacturer X , is not made by another company Y. It is further example of out sourcing of resources. And that third party companies do not have lenses that meet camera manufacturers head on. According to credible resources in various Leica forums, some of the later zooms for the Leica R series were built under the guidance of Sigma. :eek: (sort of a joke, since the Leica lenses appear to be at a higher standard as assessed by Leica users, so it appears that manufactures has some say.

Much like the Nikon 70-300ED zoom. It appears that it is a VERY close cousin to a third party manufacturer. But there are differnces in the way the zoom mechanism/focusing system feels between Nikon and the third party. And the third party focuses closer. So at $190 verses $329 it is up to the purchaser to decide on which is best.

UV filters IMO are a good purchase. It saved many a customer from an expensive "impact" repair; by simply replacing the filter.

The jury seems to be out on the "digital filters". These tend to multi-coated filters. The science behind them are that there is a chance of the CCD reflecting back through the lens, the light from the sensor filter. With the multi-coated optics of lenses today this is not a potential problem, until it hits the non-multi-coated filter.

I am not sure how I sit on this. One I don't try to pixel peep on the screen. And coming away from a digital printer training - I do not travel with a portable microscope to analyze prints by. :)

So it becomes one of the "science" and one of "practical" use. Who is right, and who is wrong? That is for each user to decide for themselves.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
iHotu said:
Canon is pricey - $28 for the 50mm, $40 for the 100mm macro.

I get by with the "general brand" model whenever possible.

This worked well when we were only using 35mm film. The issue becomes "grayer" when trying to use 35mm lenses on an APS-C format.

Keep in mind DLSRs are just seeing 1.5 or 1.6 of the area that a 35mm lens does. So a lens hood that cuts flare for a 50mm lens on the 35mm format may not help in the DSLR format.

I remember seeing a website that gave "DSLR" equivalent lens hood recommendations for for 35mm lenses on Canon DSLRs.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
virividox said:
85 1.4
12-24
18-70
60mm
70-200vr

okay so i lied the 50 1.8 didnt come with a hood but for 100 im not really complaining

And other than the 12-24 and 18-70 Nikkor's; how do the 35mm formats these others deal with DSLR flare?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
virividox said:
the 85, 60, and 70-200 vr all came with hoods. but i only use the hoods when im shooting under noon sun or heavy side lighting, or in a studio

otherwise when travling it just adds to the bulk

I will have to wait till I go back to work in the morning. but the Nikkor IIRC dies not come with a hood, Nor does the Canon EF-S 60mm IIRC. I will have to check the specs on the other lenses. The "85" may depend on whether it is the 1.8 or the 1.4.

the 85 is the 1.4 (imo, the 1.8 has poor bokeh, and for this focal length i use it mainly for portraits, so it kinda defeats the purpose if you have poor bokeh)

the 60 came witha hood, but not originally - my retailer threw it in cuz iv bought a lot from him in the past. kinda a waste, cuz with the hood, it hinders my working distance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.