Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterLC

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2016
Mid-Canada
I have found that the Canon printer driver that I recently got from Canon's website, and installed for this older Canon MX 532 (MX 530 series) printer on my MBP M1 Max works fine on basic 8.5"x 11" plane paper, as before with other MBPs, and fairly fast - a page in about 5 seconds. When this printer was new it printed greyscale and various paper and envelope sizes athough in recent years as OSs and Canon drivers 'updated'/changed, the scope of this printer's functions has reduced, likely because of marketing reasons that only Canon knows. I have been printing small coin envelopes (3.5" x 6.5"), black ink only, and the print speed has been excruciatingly slow - 4 minutes for 5 envelopes. Having to print 600 of these is proving to be another horrible printing experience - do the math. It is like it is performing for the highest resolution colour photograph and doing 1/16" passes. I'm wondering if readers can suggest a work-around that will speed up the process, or you can recommend another printer driver.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Having to print 600 of these is proving to be another horrible printing experience - do the math.
I agree. When we have large printing jobs to accomplish we go to our local Office store (Staples, Office Depot here in the US) and have it done by them. We find it less expensive to do that rather than use up large quantities of paper and ink.

Canon like many other printer manufacturers do not always provide drivers for older units especially when the OS is macOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.