Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

microsurfer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
I need to take an expert opinion of which the best brand available online in cameras!!!!!!!!!!1_______ Canon or Nikon?????????????

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
microsurfer said:
I need to take an expert opinion of which the best brand available online in cameras!!!!!!!!!!1_______ Canon or Nikon?????????????

I'm asuming we're talking about only digital? What will you be using it for? What is your price range?
With a little more info I am sure you'll have PLENTY of input.
If digital, I actually prefer the 7.2 MP Sony CyberShot.

kjr39

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Coke/Pepsi?
Mac/PC?
Potato/Potatoe?

This thread will go no where fast...

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
microsurfer said:

Why? Are you in the market for a new camera? What do you plan to do with the camera? What is your skill level in photography? What is your budget? Are you talking P&S? 35mm SLR? DSLR?

It's not as simple as "which brand is best" because for each individual there will be specific reasons for making the choices that they do. Some people shoot with one brand, others choose another brand (and by the way, there ARE more offerings out there besides Nikon and Canon!).....

If you've come here to simply invoke the old "Nikon vs Canon" wars, you've come to the wrong place. Go to DPreview; they fight about this all the time....

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
microsurfer said:
Troll, troll, troll your boat, gently down the stream ...

And for the record, I'd say that you can't go past Hasselblad for the very highest quality pictures. :D

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
sjl said:
Troll, troll, troll your boat, gently down the stream ...

And for the record, I'd say that you can't go past Hasselblad for the very highest quality pictures. :D

I don't know. The Hubble telescope does a good job.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
bousozoku said:
Hubble's successor, the NGST (Next Generation Space Telescope), will be 10 times more powerful. NGST may be launched in 2009, a year before Hubble's mission comes to an end.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
microsurfer said:
Microsufer, the incredible ambiguity of your question is baffeling... and Brilliant!!

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
bousozoku said:
But the optics on that thing are absolute rubbish -- I mean, really, they had to go up there and put a filter in front of it to get even semi-decent results! :p

microsurfer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Oh buddiess, I am sure i am not confused as yet for having so much worthy and good suggestions around with some of them floated with different queries. Well I am not that professional in Photography, but yea i am not bad either, I started photography for the last 10 years, i purchased my first camera from http://www.ebay.com online , it was yashica (manual) brand, now with a bit a maturity in amature photography i want to improve my weapon, huhhhh!!! i enjoyed shooting nature......................!!! i tried a few shops in UK as i am based in London, The price of a Nikon digital camera in http://www.adoroma.com shops online is good then one in http://www.microglobe.co.uk but the price of the first one is without shipping cost, VAT and lense, i dont know if i should prefer microglobe stores in UK for the price of Nikon product as with the inclusion of VAT,lense and shipping cost the first one could go up over the second one i just guess i dont know, should i move to canon, this decision is a bit confusing,,,,, help me out guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Nikon Coolpix L3 Point and Shoot Digital Camera, 5.1 Megapixel, 3x Optical, 4x Digital, 2.0" LCD Screen is 159 pounds and Canon IXUS 400 digital Compact Camera 4.0 million pixels CANIXUS400D is value 239 pounds........ where shall i go....

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
sjl said:
But the optics on that thing are absolute rubbish -- I mean, really, they had to go up there and put a filter in front of it to get even semi-decent results! :p
Close, but not exactly. The Hubble is an SCT type of reflector with a large primary mirror and a smaller secondary mirror, which reflects a narrowed and intensified beam of light back to a small opening in the center of the primary mirror. There is a small amount of spherical aberration in the large primary mirror -- edges are a bit too flat, by 1/50th the width of a human hair -- but it is enough to cause unaccepable blurring. Blurring was eliminated (iirc) by attaching a small corrective mirror about the diameter of a coin in front of the primary mirror. The corrective mirror, in effect, replaces the original secondary.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
microsurfer said:

Which Nikon and which Canon? Are you talking about Point and Shoots or DSLR?

Why don't you ask about Olympus? If you are looking for a point and shoot I think Oly has the best one right now.

If you just wanted to start and argument. People here are smarter than that. They will ask you questions and give god information and most here know that niether is "best". they are different.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
microsurfer said:
Oh buddiess, I am sure i am not confused as yet for having so much worthy and good suggestions around with some of them floated with different queries. Well I am not that professional in Photography, but yea i am not bad either, I started photography for the last 10 years, i purchased my first camera from http://www.ebay.com online , it was yashica (manual) brand, now with a bit a maturity in amature photography i want to improve my weapon, huhhhh!!! i enjoyed shooting nature......................!!! i tried a few shops in UK as i am based in London, The price of a Nikon digital camera in http://www.adoroma.com shops online is good then one in http://www.microglobe.co.uk but the price of the first one is without shipping cost, VAT and lense, i dont know if i should prefer microglobe stores in UK for the price of Nikon product as with the inclusion of VAT,lense and shipping cost the first one could go up over the second one i just guess i dont know, should i move to canon, this decision is a bit confusing,,,,, help me out guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Nikon Coolpix L3 Point and Shoot Digital Camera, 5.1 Megapixel, 3x Optical, 4x Digital, 2.0" LCD Screen is 159 pounds and Canon IXUS 400 digital Compact Camera 4.0 million pixels CANIXUS400D is value 239 pounds........ where shall i go....
ummm.. I vote canon?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.