Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es61)

I'm considering buying a Canon Powershot G7 as a replacement for my Nikon Coolpix 3100 which i've had for 3.5 years now. Most reviews of the G7 a pretty positive but i'm interested in hearing some unbiased and critical experiences. Anybody have an experience to share?

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es61)

I'm considering buying a Canon Powershot G7 as a replacement for my Nikon Coolpix 3100 which i've had for 3.5 years now. Most reviews of the G7 a pretty positive but i'm interested in hearing some unbiased and critical experiences. Anybody have an experience to share?

It's alright. It doesn't have a RAW format so that's a deal breaker for me.

I prefer the Panasonic cameras if that is much better. Digilux 3 is much better.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
The G7 is a great camera for those looking to get an all in one camera, with allot of features.

As far as it being a "G" model, it has lost 2 features that many Canon users (of this type of camera) have come to depend on. That being the Variable angle display, and the use of Compact flash memory.

The Variable angle display is HUGE in my opinion. That is the one option that I need in a camera like this, that this camera no longer has. Many of us Powershot users have started to depend on that type of screen to get us the kind of shots Digital SLR owners, or competitor cameras (without that feature) can only dream of.

Besides those, Image quality, and video quality are quite good on this camera, and it has allot of good points reviews.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I fail to see how a vari-angle display helps get shots that dSLR users are able to get. You still need to use a viewfinder with a dSLR, which although it helps you better frame shots, and see what you're shooting, is not as easy to use as a plain ol' screen. Maybe it's just me, who knows. I've used a Canon S3-IS, and the screen is nice, but it seems like something that could be easily broken accidentally. After using it for several nights, it's not something that I myself find essential.

I've been using my G7 for 2 days now, and I think it's a great camera. I haven't made any prints from it yet, but I'll be taking it on a trip for the next week or so.

I had Canon S50 before, and I'd say the G7 is a huge step up. IS lens is nice, the screen is BIG (especially compared to my S50), and I'm finding something new I can do with it every time I pick it up. The pictures I've taken so far look great.

The AV, TV and M modes are easy to use, allowing you to take full photographic control. The rotary dial on the back is very useful for this, allowing for you to scan through the shutter/aperture combinations.

Face recognition is useful, and kinda freaky, but it's cool. It also has a ton of scene modes if you don't want to bother using one of the advanced modes.

The hot shoe is really great, and it makes a huge difference when you use an external flash. I used an external flash with it, no problem. It really gives you a lot of flexibility with the camera.

I could go on and on, but I've gotta get going here. Overall, the photos are great, and it has tons of features. If I had to gripe about it, I'd say the camera is a bit odd to hold, and I wish it had RAW support, (but I can live without it), and the higher ISOs make noise a big problem (which is what you'd expect with a 10mp sensor on a tiny chip). I'd greatly recommend it if you're looking for a camera that's just a step below a dSLR that's easy to handle yet more powerful than your average P&S.

hana

macrumors regular
May 23, 2003
Los Angeles
I agree that the variable angle display is a sorely missed feature of the G7. I know it's an unusual feature on a still camera, but I suppose you've seen them on video cameras, correct? The variable angle display is really helpful in GETTING THE SHOT when you just can't get yourself in front of the subject.... you know, being in a crowd as you wait for the bride & groom leave the church, when your child won't move to the "correct position, or (in my case) you are vertically challenged.

By the way, my last G camera was a G3. My current camera is a Rebel XT. When it came to me going overseas on a trip this year, I borrowed an Elph size camera. Each has it's advantages depending on how I wanted to take pictures....

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I fail to see how a vari-angle display helps get shots that dSLR users are able to get. You still need to use a viewfinder with a dSLR, which although it helps you better frame shots, and see what you're shooting, is not as easy to use as a plain ol' screen. Maybe it's just me, who knows. I've used a Canon S3-IS, and the screen is nice, but it seems like something that could be easily broken accidentally. After using it for several nights, it's not something that I myself find essential.

To each their own I guess, however myself and others that work with me find that kind of display invaluable for framing shots, and taking pictures in "hard to reach" locations.

While it can be done via trial and error, laying on the ground, or hanging outside of a car, I still find the variable angle display absolutely necessary for shots like these.

IMG_7933.sized.jpg

yeah not square, I can't find my good shot of this subject!

IMG_7682.sized.jpg

IMG_8427.sized.jpg

FE20.jpg

You will never see shots like this from my (personal) 30d, too expensive to hang outside of a car!

I agree that the variable angle display is a sorely missed feature of the G7. I know it's an unusual feature on a still camera, but I suppose you've seen them on video cameras, correct? The variable angle display is really helpful in GETTING THE SHOT when you just can't get yourself in front of the subject.... you know, being in a crowd as you wait for the bride & groom leave the church, when your child won't move to the "correct position, or (in my case) you are vertically challenged.

I never thought of using the display for shots like that :) . That and the IR remote that came with my camera (Pro1) would be a great tool for shots with me, and whatever subject I would like :) .

Thanks Hana!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.