Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I've been over to the DPReview and DCResource forums too but I thought I'd see what the MR crowd thinks.

For my new camera it's come down to the G7 or the S3 IS (I'm aware the S5 IS comes out next month, but it's not going to be worth the price difference IMHO).

The S3 IS is a great value at under $300, with 12x optical zoom and swivel LCD, also AA batteries. The G7 is compact (also stylish and a built-in lens cap), better LCD, high MP count, and just possibly a little more fun to pull out and use, but at least $160 more. If they were the same price I'd probably get the G7, but don't know that it's advantages are worth it. The S3 has some good advantages besides price as well.

I'm going to have to use both at a camera store to decide. I was wondering if any of you have used both and what you thought about them? For either I will probably be getting some accessories like a polarizing filter, maybe infrared (and the G7 has a built-in neutral density filter).

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
i've only used the G5 and my S3 IS, but i love my S3. If you want to see some pics from it, have a look at my deviant site (link in sig).

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
i must say that i know nothing about the G7, but i love my S3. The 12x optical is very, very nice. in fact, it's taken such great pictures that i'm hopefully trading it in for a dslr within the next few weeks. it's nothing against the S3 or any p&s, but i just want more control.

the S3 itself is comfortable to hold; takes great pics and is easy to use.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I have a G7, and I've used the S3 (There's even an S5 out now). The S3 has the flip out screen and a better zoom lens, although I'd say the actual optics are quite comparable.

The G7 has noise issues in low light areas at ISOs above 200 due to having a tiny sensor with 10 megapixels. I seem to like the button layout of the G7 more, but that may be just because I'm used to it. If you have bulky hands, it may not be the best for you. The S3 is probably easier for most people to hold. It also allows you to use rechargeable AA batteries.

In all, I wouldn't trade my G7 for a S3 or S5. It's rather compact for a camera of it's caliber, and I take it with me everywhere I go. I use it almost every day to take photos of the ongoing construction of my school's stadium, and it fits in my backpack quite easily. My mom has a S3, and she likes it because she can carry it in a bag, and it takes great pictures. She's not as demanding of a user, but she makes use of the majority of the camera's features.

Go to a real camera store and try them out. That's the only way to really get a feel for what you like. I hope this helps.

(p.s. - this expandable text box thing in Safari 3.0 beta is AWESOME!)

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
In all, I wouldn't trade my G7 for a S3 or S5. It's rather compact for a camera of it's caliber, and I take it with me everywhere I go.

Go to a real camera store and try them out. That's the only way to really get a feel for what you like. I hope this helps.
It certainly does. :) I do want to go to a camera store very soon to try them both out. I like the idea that the G7 is compact enough that I would be inclined to take it with me more, since having the camera with you is the most important thing of all.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
I used to own the Canon S2 IS, and now own the G7.

I much prefer the G7 - it has a better lens, and images are, in general, sharper and more detailed. I also like the compact size, and the built in neutral density filter has come in quite handy.

The one thing the S2 was better at is video, since you can zoom in and out while shooting. The S2/S3/S5 are great for video.

Given the price difference, it's a tough choice. Personally, I'd still get the G7 for it's compact size and better optics.... but if money is tight, the S3 is very good too.

Let us know what you decide, and post some pictures. :)

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Let us know what you decide, and post some pictures. :)
Yes! I got the G7 and it just arrived yesterday. I haven't had time to "get used to it" but did take a few quick snaps.

housept501sg7.jpg

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I just bought the G7, and loved using it on a recent trip to Chicago on Memorial Day weekend. I also have the Pani LX-1. But for me they are two different cameras.

The G7 allows for much easier control over settings. And it has a hotshoe for flash work, which I love. With the Lightsphere from Gary Fong, an external flash gives the best results. I also traveled with the LX-1. I love this camera for its native 16x9 format and RAW support for difficult lighting situations. Also the LX-1 has a wider field of view.

What is nice is that the G7 fits into a fannypack from Tamrac with some room to spare when one wants to travel very light...

Hopes this helps.....

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
The S3 is a very good camera. It has some focusing problems in low-light conditions, and it has some battery usage problems. The telephoto lens with IS and an f/3.5 aperture at the long end of the zoom is a useful feature in a small camera body.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.