Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
Anyone here use or know a user of the Canon Powershot G9? On paper it seems almost too good to be true. I absolutely love my Powershot G3 from about 5 years ago so I bought one based on CNET review considering it low risk due to success of G3 for past 5 years.

I'm curious if there are any user on MacRumor that can give me their opinion of this camera.

Thanks!

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Well, since no one has offered up an opinion yet, I'd be interested in your own review of the G9, now that you bought one. Give it a good run, then post some pics, and your impressions. Cheers. :)

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
I got one over Xmas. Not had a chance to give it a run for it's money yet, but what I have taken with it, I'm very happy about. It handles very well, and you have full control should you want it (admittedly, as a Nikon SLR user for work use, I'm not used to the Canon placing of buttons yet - they don't fall naturally under my fingers at the mo, but time and more use will fix that). The high ISO, as with any small sensor camera is for emergency use only.

The review that was linked in the post above is pretty true to my feelings on the camera.

Off to Barbados next week, and I'll definitely be taking it with me...

Macerture

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
Dirty Jersey
Spent a bunch of time with a few folks who own them - does not produce good photos out of the box - plain and simple. You'll need to tweak it and you might as well just buy a DSLR since you're going to be doing that..

When tweaked, it produces very nice photos for a point and shoot camera. Good luck with your purchase.

Macerture

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
Dirty Jersey
Could you expand on what you mean by 'tweak'?
Sure thing - Most noted problems were/are high noise in full auto pictures due to the camera's bias towards fastest shutter speed possible. Though correct in theory, a camera should have equally high-quality high ISO capability before the program defaults to such a high ISO - this is not the case with the G9. To correct the problem, users use the camera in manual mode and either slow the shutter speed down so they can lower the ISO or, use more flash compensation or, tediously 'expose to the right' - meaning, they will increase the exposure to the point right before the highlights start to blow decreasing the visible noise.

Other problems - If you buy the add-on lens adapter and either of the add-on lenses, you'll be forced to buy a shoe-mount flash because the add-on adapter and lenses BLOCK the built-in flash so you get nice half-circle shaped dark areas in all your photos.

In general, images shot in full-auto are not impressive at all, though manually controlled images are nice.

Considering the cost of the camera, plus the add-ons and the fact it performs best in manual-mode, you're simply just better off buying a DSLR. A) most DSLRs are better in full-auto mode than the G9 and B) are a LOT better in manual mode than the G9 and C) The 'extras' or 'add-ons' like flash and lenses etc, cost the same for the DSLR as the G9 but you'll get far more bang for your buck out of a DSLR kit.. I promise you that! At the risk of sounding like a Pentax spokesperson, take a look at the K100D-Super or K10D - both offer in-body Image Stabilization (SR) so every single lens you put on it has IS or, one of the Canon or Nikon offerings - though no in-body IS with them.. I think in Canon it would be the XTi and in Nikon the D40x..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.