Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

west.acre

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2008
I used to have a Canon Powershot S3 IS, and I got on with it so well. I loved how it had the flexibility of 0cm macro to 400mm equivalent (~12x), of a aperture range of 3.5-11. I am keen on photography, and I know I'll get better quality shots on an SLR, which are getting ever cheaper in the entry level category.

However, I'm not in the financial situation to fork out thousands of pounds on telephoto lenses, or macro lenses, and I think a top end SLR-like digital camera is what I'm after. I may be wrong here, am I misled about the price of lenses? I've never had an SLR, so wouldn't know.

I'm keen on macro photography, wide angle landscape shots, and general holiday snaps. What advice would you have?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I moved up from that very camera to a Canon 450D and could never go back. If I were you, I'd get the body+kit lens and the 100mm f/2.8 macro lens. That would cover you from 18-55mm, give you a telephoto length at 100mm, and the ability to take really amazing macro photos. The total package would be about $1100 in the States, but probably a bit more in the UK, if that's where you are.

It sounds as though you have the bug for photography, so I think you should do yourself the favor of going the DSLR route. The larger sensor in DSLR cameras alone makes the extra investment worthwhile, but the ability to change lenses means true creative freedom and exponentially greater image quality.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Canon XSi body only with a macro lens and an all-around lens (28-135 IS is good)

west.acre

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2008
Thanks for your advice, I definitely think I'm going to go down the DSLR route, after I just found out that my old olympus lenses will fit a Canon DSLR.

I can't wait to get my new camera. Some of my pics are up on flickr if you fancy a look.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
I suggest that you buy the Canon SX10 camera, which is the upgrade for the S3 and S5. SLR photography is expensive, especially when you want wide-angle, telephoto, and macro lenses.

NightGeometry

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2004
I suggest that you buy the Canon SX10 camera, which is the upgrade for the S3 and S5. SLR photography is expensive, especially when you want wide-angle, telephoto, and macro lenses.

The counter point being that you *can* decide you want those (wide angle, telephoto and macro), and just add a lens, this is just something you can't do with a compact.

I have a fairly nice compact which does macro, and has a reasonable range, I also have a dSLR. I wanted to do some very wide angle shots, well outside the range of my compact. I could have tried to find a compact that would go down to 10mm, and have bought a new compact that could do this, or just add a Sigma 10-20 lens. Guess which I did? Assuming i could find a compact that went that wide, I suspect the price would have been well over what the lens for my dSLR cost me. On that assumption, it would work out a heck of a lot cheaper to get the lens.

Lenses cost, but you have the option, and the image quality is going to be (in most cases), significantly better than a compact. Obviously image quality is only part of it, the subject is what really counts, but for most photo's, with the same subject the higher quality image will be better... I do have a counter example, one of my favourite portraits I have taken is completely out of focus, and presumably I could have taken that with a dirt cheap digital compact - the irony being it was taken on very good film with an actual SLR with a very good lens, so actual image quality is pretty damn good.

Sorry, rambling a bit there. I say go for a cheap dSLR. I got a Sony Alpha 200. I love it, and it was stupid cheap (actually cheaper than my compact. Personally I think that if size isn't an issue then buying a compact is just weird. If you were looking at buying a top of the range compact then I'd recommend a cheap dSLR with kit lens, and a sub-£100 compact, then you have room to grow the dSLR, and a carry anywhere compact that will give you reasonable snap shots.

west.acre

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2008
I understand what you're saying, I know that size is not an issue, and image quality is far more important. I think I'm going to get a canon EOS, need to decide which.

I have a set of decent Olympus lenses:

Zuiko 35mm f/2
Zuiko 50mm f/1.8
Zuiko 200mm f/4

I'll need to adapt these to the SLR I choose, which I know is possible. I'm pretty sure I'll stick with canon, they make magnificent cameras. Until I lost my S3, it was magical, and I've played with EOS' in the past.

I'm thinking of waiting for the 500D, is this a plausable option if I'm using manual focus? I don't think I can afford a 50D.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA

Zuiko 35mm f/2
Zuiko 50mm f/1.8
Zuiko 200mm f/4

Why not just go with an Olympus E-510 then? :confused: It is a very capable camera and gets pretty good reviews, it doesn't always have to be between Canon and Nikon! There is the newer E-520 as well that is an option.

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
I understand what you're saying, I know that size is not an issue, and image quality is far more important. I think I'm going to get a canon EOS, need to decide which.

Zuiko 35mm f/2
Zuiko 50mm f/1.8
Zuiko 200mm f/4

I'll need to adapt these to the SLR I choose, which I know is possible. I'm pretty sure I'll stick with canon, they make magnificent cameras. Until I lost my S3, it was magical, and I've played with EOS' in the past.

I'm thinking of waiting for the 500D, is this a plausable option if I'm using manual focus? I don't think I can afford a 50D.
All the entry Canon dlsr use a 1.6x magnification factor. You won't see a full frame until the 1DS series. And then you are talking serious cash.

NightGeometry

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2004

Zuiko 35mm f/2
Zuiko 50mm f/1.8
Zuiko 200mm f/4

Why not just go with an Olympus E-510 then?

Assuming these are old lenses (not digital zuiko), they'd need an adaptor for a E-510 too, the lens mount is different. Given that you could get an old OM off of ebay very cheap, and use them with film while you think about what digital you want. The OM's are really quite small, and whilst they don't auto-focus, they do work aperture priority to give you a 'correct' exposure. I have an OM4, and it's a lovely piece of kit. Film isn't that expensive to buy and develop.

west.acre

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2008
Great pics on your flickr site. You're going to love a dslr.
Thanks, I just need to decide which one to love!
Assuming these are old lenses (not digital zuiko), they'd need an adaptor for a E-510 too, the lens mount is different. Given that you could get an old OM off of ebay very cheap, and use them with film while you think about what digital you want. The OM's are really quite small, and whilst they don't auto-focus, they do work aperture priority to give you a 'correct' exposure. I have an OM4, and it's a lovely piece of kit. Film isn't that expensive to buy and develop.
Well, I have an OM2 but I am still experimenting, and really need the flexibility of digital.

I'm thinking a used 5D is the way to go. Just about in my price range, and a brilliant camera that'll last.

NightGeometry

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2004
Well, I have an OM2 but I am still experimenting, and really need the flexibility of digital.

I'm thinking a used 5D is the way to go. Just about in my price range, and a brilliant camera that'll last.

I've got an OM4 - they are lovely little cameras.

I've only head good things about the 5D, but it is hardly in the entry level category :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.