Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I'm looking to finally replace my aging Fuji Finepix 3800.
I'm not 'into' photography, don't take tons of pics, and don't need a bunch of lenses, so I've ruled out the dSLR market.
However, I want an all-around decent camera with enough optical zoom that I can get decent close up's of my son's sports and such. I don't mind having a camera with a little bulk and heft, so I don't need a credit card sized camera.
I'm currently looking at the advanced P&S camera's, specifically the Canon S5.

Anyone have any experience with this camera or a similar one they care to share? I'm also looking at the prior version [S3] but I like the movie mode features on the S5 better.

Any advice for this photo novice would be greatly appreciated.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Had the S3 IS and if you do a poke around, you'll see that quite a few of us MRers have nothing but fantastic things to say about it. Same goes for critics' reviews, too. ;)

FTR, the S3's video recording is really something awesome so if the S5 improves on that? Then by all means, go for it!

It's a great camera for beginners and even those who have/ know a bit about lenses/ SLRs but don't feel like dealing w/ that. A handy all-in-one package w/ its awesome optical zoom, relatively small size (but not too small especially since my hands always shake + the IS and wow, I'm stoked), and I love that the S3 takes AAs. A huge part of the reason why I'm so drawn to it. Much more beneficial for vacations as AAs are cheaper and likely easier to come by. Not sure if the S5 uses AAs. :eek:

But still, solid photos and the aperture emphasis vs shutterspeed emphasis modes are really quite snazzy. Takes a bit of getting used to (but granted, I only had and used the camera for a two-day trip before returning it; needed the cash more).

I have no digital camera, now. But if I were gonna shell out $ to get one? I wouldn't hesitate to pick up that lovely little camera again. :)

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I had the S3 and loved it. i can only imagine the S5 is just as great or better.
the video feature (full screen 640x480 whereas most point and shoots are 320x240) is just plain awesome.

if i hadn't gone the dslr route, i would have kept the S3 without a doubt.

buy the S5...you won't regret it.

Xfujinon

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
Iowa City, Iowa
I have been an S2 user for a little over 2 years now, and I recommend it highly.

Additionally, I have used both the S3 and the S5 many times, and I find them to be reasonable improvements on an already excellent camera. While this may sound obnoxiously thrifty, you can probably find a used S2 or S3 for much less than the cost of an S5 and it will doubtlessly perform to your expectations. The video features are not much changed between the three models; my S2 takes fantastic video!

Anyhow, consider getting a used S2 (or better, an S3) for less money.

Otherwise, the S5 is a surefire bet!

zelmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Thanks for the feedback, friendly MRfolken.

I've found the S5 as low as $350 and the S3 for $275. I dunno, I hate buying lastgen hardware. :p
I've noticed that the S5 price has dropped a bit in the past month. Do you think that indicates the S6 is coming soon? I'd pay a little more for a 15X or 18X optical zoom, but I think I'd rather go with Canon over Sony or Panny. That's based on instinct, not experience.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Thanks for the feedback, friendly MRfolken.

I've found the S5 as low as $350 and the S3 for $275. I dunno, I hate buying lastgen hardware. :p
I've noticed that the S5 price has dropped a bit in the past month. Do you think that indicates the S6 is coming soon? I'd pay a little more for a 15X or 18X optical zoom, but I think I'd rather go with Canon over Sony or Panny. That's based on instinct, not experience.

Hi,

Nope...the S5 just came out 2 or 3 months ago at the most. probably more like 2. i don't think it will be a year before an S6.

if you are looking for more zoom....then the DSLR world beckons ;) and it's not that much more of a jump (in $$$....knowledge...yup, it is a jump, but a fun one :)

Cheers,
Keebler

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
My friend said that the S5 has too many pixels in it's sensor and can get very noisy. I wouldn't know that much since I've only used this range of cameras a few times.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
My experience is that the S2/3 were good cameras, but they stunk at ISO 200 and above. I'm not sure if the S5 has that problem, but if you need higher ISO, I'd look into it.

JackieQ

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2007
I've got one for two months. It's a pretty nice camera. image quality is good and it's easy to use. And I don't need to do any photo editing.

Get one if the price is ok for you. (BTW, I've got SLR, DSRL and a bag of lenses :eek:)

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....I have been pondering getting a new camera and this one is on my "short list" but I've yet to make a decision as there are a few other ones with 15+ optical zoom either just out or on the horizon. I was reading some reviews online and found this site that linked to reviews on most of the models I was considering and that were also in that same price range - perhaps you'll find some info or ideas to help you out there too...oh yeah!

http://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/advanced/canon-powershot-s5-is.aspx

zelmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Don't buy from them. It's another front for a huge scam group. Unfortunately, cameras and camera gear is one area where low prices are almost always a scam. :(

I've found the camera as low as $330 from sellers suggested by dpreview.com, which I consider to be a reputable site. This other site had the camera for $315 several days ago, and I had left the page minimized in my dock. When I pulled it up yesterday, I refreshed and the price had dropped to $275. Made me wonder if the site was legit or if maybe the camera is getting cleared out of inventory to make way for the SX100 which is due next month and seems comparably equipped.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I've found the camera as low as $330 from sellers suggested by dpreview.com, which I consider to be a reputable site. This other site had the camera for $315 several days ago, and I had left the page minimized in my dock. When I pulled it up yesterday, I refreshed and the price had dropped to $275. Made me wonder if the site was legit or if maybe the camera is getting cleared out of inventory to make way for the SX100 which is due next month and seems comparably equipped.

No, bestpricecameras is a scam. Why is it so hard to google? You'll come up with their .0001 resellerrating and all the lawsuits against them.

ozziepuppy

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2008
Comment on S5 IS

I did a ton of research before buying a camera to replace my Olympus Camedia C-5050 digital camera. I finally came to the conclusion that the best brand was Canon. ;) After that, I investigated features vs price (if price were not an option, I would get a Canon DSLR). I concluded that the S5 IS offered the best bang for the buck, and then researched price. I got it from Circuit City for $319. :eek: This is an online price but Circuit City will match their own online price. This is the lowest legitimate price that I have found, so I did buy from the local CC store.

I got an ultra high speed 2G SD card and Kodak rechargeable "camera" AA batteries (supposed to last longer). Have just ordered the Canon adapter (from amazon) and circular polarizer filter. I already have the UV filter I am going to use.

I have to say, this camera rocks! It does a wonderful job right out of the box (on "AUTO") but has an amazing array of options and tweaks that will keep me entertained for many moons to come! :D If you want fabulous pictures and are not ready for the price or size of a DSLR, and if you don't want a TINY camera, this one is just about perfect.

Several retailers in my area are out of stock, :( so I would say get one while you can!

I personally really don't care about the S6 because I do not need greater zoom or megapixels, nor would I want them. With my configuration I experience no shutter lag, the images are unbelievably excellent, and of course the menus are easy to follow.

I am going to put on the 58mm adapter tomorrow when it arrives from amazon and add the UV lens and 58mm lens cap and I will basically be all set. Will get the circular polarizer filter later this week for outdoor shots.:)

I would definitely get an S5 while it is still possible.:) You KNOW the S6 will be a lot more money. The S5 was 499 when it first came out. Right now is the perfect time to buy one.

JMHO--Your mileage may vary. However, I am extremely pleased with my decision! You should get this camera!:)

zelmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
So I kept hemming and hawing for another year without replacing my PoS P&S, and now the latest Canon toys are the G10 and SX10 IS.
Anyone care to venture a guess as to why the newer SX10 is less expensive than the older S5 it replaces? On paper, the new SX10 is superior, but I can find it $60-$90 cheaper everywhere I look.:confused:

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Another vote of confidence for the S3. For the price, it is ridiculously good. It does suffer from a bit of barrel distortion across the range, and a bit of chromatic abortion at the tele end, but for the range it gives, who cares?

Have a look at my devArt account (link in sig). All of the older shots were done on my S3. The newer shots are taken on my 40D.

Godfather1965

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2008
Awesome Camera = Awesome Video

Just recently purchased the S5 Power Shot. I have used it all football season on my son's games. I would recommend getting a SanDisk 8GB SDHC card for it though. Gives me over an hours worth of quality video. Picked both up at Wal-Mart. The card will run you another $60 bucks but well worth it..enjoy!

zelmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Just recently purchased the S5 Power Shot. I have used it all football season on my son's games. I would recommend getting a SanDisk 8GB SDHC card for it though. Gives me over an hours worth of quality video. Picked both up at Wal-Mart. The card will run you another $60 bucks but well worth it..enjoy!

I found this 16GB SD/HC Class 6 card and reader for $39 on Amazon. Is this a crap card?

CMD is me

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2006
On paper, the new SX10 is superior, but I can find it $60-$90 cheaper everywhere I look.:confused:

Actually its not superior. The lens is MUCH slower. The S5 is f3.5 on the long end where the SX10 is f5.7. What that means (ignore this if you already know), the S5 lens opens larger than the SX. Soon after you zoom, the S5 is going have twice the shutter speed (ie, MUCH better at stop action!). This is HUGE for stop-action and low light.

The S5 has a lower pixel density (more pixels is NOT better as marketing wants people to believe -- my old Fuji F31 with 6MP looks much cleaner than my F45 with 8MP).

Also the S5 is much smaller and lighter than the SX.

I've owned the S3 and now the S5. Let me know if you have any questions.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I recently discovered a co-worker has both the S5 and SX10. He brought them in for a side-by-side comparison. The SX10 is definitely weightier but not annoyingly so. The low-light thing was concerning but, after looking at a few comparison shots, I can tell I'm not advanced enough of a photographer that it'll be an issue for me. By the time it is, I'll be wanting a DSLR anyway.
Last night I noticed that the camera, bag, and memory card were all suspiciously absent from my amazon cart. I think my wife did some Xmas shopping. :) Silly woman. She should've left them in the cart so I wouldn't suspect anything. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.