Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Hi there i have a canon sd400 digital elph and I was just wondering if you guys can tell me how to get my movies and photos off it and onto the computer. Imac. It is hooked up via usb but I do not have any software for it. Thanks.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi there i have a canon sd400 digital elph and I was just wondering if you guys can tell me how to get my movies and photos off it and onto the computer. Imac. It is hooked up via usb but I do not have any software for it. Thanks.

Yes you do have software for it. It you have a Mac then you have both iPhoto and Image Capture. Either will work. In Preferences you can choose which comes up when you plug in a camera.

Also Canon makes their software available for free on their web site.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
oh ok. I looked on Canon's site but couldn't find anything and I didn't think I could use Iphoto or Image capture to get the movies off the camera that I made since they are both for photo's...

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
Plug in the camera's usb port to your computer, open iphoto first, then turn on camera. Iphoto should recognize and ask for import. I've had issues using my camera turned on first and opening iphoto, it always crashes on startup since last upgrade, so start iphoto and then turn on camera.

It will definitely import movies too. I have the same camera and it works great.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
grrrrrrrr...im such an idiot. I had deleted Iphoto & Image Capture awhile back..I wasnt using them. I forgot I had this camera....is there a way to install from the osx disks?

RainForRent

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
Greenville, SC
Not necessary, the sd400 has a usb port. Much easier than opening it up and yanking the card each time.

But is the SD400 a usb 2.0 device? I have a canon s410 that was still a usb1, so a card reader was a good idea. I have plenty of friends that are professional photographers and they still use card readers. Many cameras are just a hassle to connect, and a card reader simplifies the process since the card always reads as a connected drive, which means no fussing with image capture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.