Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mox358

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2002
Indiana
I'm looking to upgrade my camera. I've been using a Canon Powershot Elph 8MP P&S and it's been a good camera, but the image quality seems like it would be really lacking if I ever wanted to do some high-quality prints.

I've been researching entry level DSLRs and keep coming back to the Canon Rebel XS. It can be had for about $500 now and seems to get pretty high marks. I'm just getting my feet wet in photography, so I guess my questions are :

Does anybody use this camera ?
Any major problems ?
Would it make a good "my first DSLR" ?

Thanks in advance for any help!

mox358

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2002
Indiana
Thanks for the links... The XSi looks like a nice step up from the XS for only $100 more. Are you pretty happy with the features/image quality on your XSi ?

I know it'll take me a while to learn to shoot manually and get good shots, but my biggest concern is to be sure that the camera (body at least, I know I can buy new lenses as I go) I get will be good quality when I get the hang of it.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
The XSi is a great camera. You can find them used on craigslist for like $400 or less. I sold mine with a bunch of extras with 1250 clicks for $400. I threw in a new LowePro Mini Nova AW, 4GB extreme SDHC with card reader and some other stuff.

Also, don't discount the 40D or 30D. You get better AF, better ease of use (dedicated buttons/LCD/control dial/illuminated LCD) and better build for around $350ish (for a 30D). 40Ds seem to be the new "classic" of the crop sensor bodies I am finding out, just as the 5D is of the FF world...

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Thanks for the links... The XSi looks like a nice step up from the XS for only $100 more. Are you pretty happy with the features/image quality on your XSi ?

I know it'll take me a while to learn to shoot manually and get good shots, but my biggest concern is to be sure that the camera (body at least, I know I can buy new lenses as I go) I get will be good quality when I get the hang of it.
Yes, I like my camera a lot. But remember that a camera is only as good as it's lens. That's where your IQ really comes from. There are a lot of good cameras out there. Pentax K 20 or K200, Nikon D90 and the Canon 40 and 50D.

To see what I do with the XSi, click on my user name and select Find More Posts by Designer Dale and look at my posts to Photo of the Day.

Dale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.