Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
London
I'm sure there are other threads about this, but I wanted to start my own thread just for my personal situation. I currently have a Canon Point and Shoot Powershot SD 750. I really like it, but I'm looking to upgrade to an DSLR camera.

I may disappoint some of the Nikon fanboys, but I want to stay with Canon. Right now they are selling the Rebel XSi as a kit that includes the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens for $800. I'm not looking to do studio photography, but I'd like a step up from regular point and shoot cameras knowing that I can purchase some good quality lenses that will be useful for nature/scenery shots. I'd also like to be able to use the camera for family photos and general photography, but not anything intense or fast moving.

I'd really appreciate if someone could tell me about this lens that comes with the camera. Is it any good? Is this a camera setup that you recommend for someone who wants to branch out into the DSLR world without going to the Semi-Pro/Pro level? Thanks in advance for the advice! :)

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
the kit lens (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, right?) is pretty good, and it should suit you fine. in the event that it's not long enough, grab the 55-250mm IS.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
London
Thanks! I'm not sure I'll be purchasing right now, but it's good to do some research and get some opinions. :)

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
A very good starting level kit would be the XSi, 18-55mm IS, 50mm ƒ/1.8 and 55-250mm IS. All are good lenses and easy on the pocket relative to other lenses. If you find yourself wanting more speed the Tamron 17-50mm ƒ/2.8 and 28-75mm ƒ/2.8 are also very good choices and aren't extremely expensive. You may even want to go on step cheaper on the camera to have a bit more for lenses and go with either an XS or XTi, as they are also very good starting dSLR cameras. (Lenses will make a much bigger impact on your photo quality than the dSLR will)

romanaz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
I'm sure there are other threads about this, but I wanted to start my own thread just for my personal situation. I currently have a Canon Point and Shoot Powershot SD 750. I really like it, but I'm looking to upgrade to an DSLR camera.

I may disappoint some of the Nikon fanboys, but I want to stay with Canon. Right now they are selling the Rebel XSi as a kit that includes the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens for $800. I'm not looking to do studio photography, but I'd like a step up from regular point and shoot cameras knowing that I can purchase some good quality lenses that will be useful for nature/scenery shots. I'd also like to be able to use the camera for family photos and general photography, but not anything intense or fast moving.

I'd really appreciate if someone could tell me about this lens that comes with the camera. Is it any good? Is this a camera setup that you recommend for someone who wants to branch out into the DSLR world without going to the Semi-Pro/Pro level? Thanks in advance for the advice! :)

where are you looking that you see that price? I paid 819 @ B&H for the XSi w/ the 18-55 kit lens, the 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS lens and an 8GB SDHC card for it.

The 18-55 is a great starter lens, the 55-250 is nice, but doesn't get used to much for me. Personally, if your doing indoors shots, I would look into the 50mm f/1.8 II lens as an addition to the 18-55, as it will do very well indoors unlike the 18-55, and it only costs like 90 bucks.. Otherwise, go with the kit lens and a good fast card and your set!

Enjoy the XSi, its a great camera, I love it, been way to addicted to it.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
London
where are you looking that you see that price? I paid 819 @ B&H for the XSi w/ the 18-55 kit lens, the 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS lens and an 8GB SDHC card for it.

The 18-55 is a great starter lens, the 55-250 is nice, but doesn't get used to much for me. Personally, if your doing indoors shots, I would look into the 50mm f/1.8 II lens as an addition to the 18-55, as it will do very well indoors unlike the 18-55, and it only costs like 90 bucks.. Otherwise, go with the kit lens and a good fast card and your set!

Enjoy the XSi, its a great camera, I love it, been way to addicted to it.

I was looking on the Canon USA website. Thanks for your advice. I'll look into the lenses you suggested.:)

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
As iBookG4user said, you may want to look into a cheaper body so there's more cash to spend on lenses, since those will make the biggest impact. I would suggest getting the XS over the XSi, unless there's a compelling reason for you to do otherwise (the biggest one for me would be the RAW firing rate). They'll both produce great images, with the XS being easier on the wallet.

I would also suggest you use Live Cashback to try and strengthen your bang for your buck. J&R's got 7% off of $529, which is around $500, although that was just a quick look on my part and you should really do some deal-shopping before you take the plunge. Good luck on your purchase!

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
I just got the XSi and love it as a beginner yet semi-advanced DSLR. I wanted more control over my photos and have found it to produce beautiful images. I went with it over the XT/XTI/XS for a few reasons but the big reasons are that it has more megapixels (with an iso noise reducer to come out with a clean picture), live view (for my fiancee to use), and accepts sdhc cards. I think it is a great buy from B&H photo or amazon for ~650 with the lens. In terms of lenses I agree that the kit lens is pretty darn good but I also recommend the 50mm f/1.8 prime which retails about $80 from amazon/B&H as well. There is no better value for the money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.