Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

br.avery

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
Hey, I'm starting to get into photography and photojournalism. I want to start my own photography business but want to start off with an entry level dslr. For acting headshots and fashion photography, which would you recommend from these two cameras? I know there are pros and cons with both and the canon eos rebel xsi is alot better but so much more expensive.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
If I had to choose one, I'd go with Canon. If you do a Google Product search, you can find one with a kit lens for around $675.

Bear in mind, the Canon has twice the megapixel count. Of course it's never solely about the megapixel, but in this case I think it would be worth noting. Both are awesome camera, just depends on how much you want to spend.

MacJenn

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
At least be fair. I know you stated in your post you know this, but still it isn't fair and makes no sense. Compare it to the D80 or D200 which you can get for the same price as the Canon. Spec for spec the D200 kills both of them and can be bought new right now at Best Buy for $599. It is a prosumer rated camera and is housed in a magnesium alloy body instead of the cheap plastic of the other two.

Nicholie

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Huntsville, Al
How about. WAIT.

PMA is NEXT WEEK. Anything can happen, and its been strongly suggested that the major DSLR manufactures (specifically Nikon from what I've heard) will introduce new camera's to market.

Make your decision after that has occurred.

gmecca2

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
XSi. Own It. Opted for it over the D40. Price will be a big factor though because you can get a D40 cheap right now compared to the XSi.

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
Here's the thing, D40 has no AF so for me it's a no-go...Well no in-body motor, but if you can justify spending more money on special Nikkor lenses, be my guest ;-) Don't expect anything at PMA, it won't be released for purchase that day... but nothing that has been rumored seem better...

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
If it's only between those two then The XSI, The Lack of an AF motor really hurts the D40. Also the XSI is much newer and has some better processors and a better sensor.

MacJenn

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
Lets compare a Canon XS to a Nikon D300. It makes as much sense as this stupid thread. How about a BMW to a Ford.

MacJenn

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
My goodness. Chill out a little:D The OP asked about the XS and XSi.

I'm chilling well enough right now with my Jack Daniels and water.

Did you read the thread? It is about the Nikon D40 and Canon XSi. That is no competition of course. He should of compared it to the Nikon D80/D200 since they are in the same ball park money wise.

Doesn't matter though. He started this thread with dishonesty. He already bought before he started this thread last night at 11 PM. He said in another he bought yesterday which would of been before this thread started unless he started this thread and immediately bought the camera which I highly doubt.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I'm chilling well enough right now with my Jack Daniels and water.

Did you read the thread? It is about the Nikon D40 and Canon XSi. That is no competition of course. He should of compared it to the Nikon D80/D200 since they are in the same ball park money wise.

Doesn't matter though. He started this thread with dishonesty. He already bought before he started this thread last night at 11 PM. He said in another he bought yesterday which would of been before this thread started unless he started this thread and immediately bought the camera which I highly doubt.

Are you implying that the OP is dishonest? I am willing to bet that the OP is thinking more about price and features, and he (or she?) asked for two specific cameras. As others pointed out, the D40 wouldn't be the best choice.

MacJenn

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
Are you implying that the OP is dishonest? I am willing to bet that the OP is thinking more about price and features, and he (or she?) asked for two specific cameras. As others pointed out, the D40 wouldn't be the best choice.

I'm not implying anything. I'm saying it.

I'm done with you. You undoubtably have a problem with reading comprehension and enjoy stalking people.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I'm not implying anything. I'm saying it.

I'm done with you. You undoubtably have a problem with reading comprehension and enjoy stalking people.
This is what you wrote in one of your previous post in reference to the OP:
Doesn't matter though. He started this thread with dishonesty.

Again, it's very possible that the OP is thinking of features and price relating to the camera he wants. It does not mean that he (or she) has been dishonest. Is it possible that he is: (quoted from the OP)
starting to get into photography and photojournalism. I want to start my own photography business but want to start off with an entry level dslr.
?

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
MacJenn is right. This comparison isn't fair at all and absolutely makes no sense. The fair thing would of been to compare the XSi to the D80 or D200 since both of them are priced about the same as the XSi.

MacJenn just ignore AlaskaMoose. It is obvious he/she is trying to play games with you.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
MacJenn is right. This comparison isn't fair at all and absolutely makes no sense. The fair thing would of been to compare the XSi to the D80 or D200 since both of them are priced about the same as the XSi.

MacJenn just ignore AlaskaMoose. It is obvious he/she is trying to play games with you.

Yes, I am having fun. However, I don't agree that the OP was dishonest about the two cameras he is trying to decide upon. That's that point I am trying to make.

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
MacJenn may well be right, but not right in lashing out at the OP. Maybe they want to find out if the D40 has the same features as the Canon so that they can spend less money and more on accessories.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
If I had to choose one, I'd go with Canon. If you do a Google Product search, you can find one with a kit lens for around $675.

Bear in mind, the Canon has twice the megapixel count. Of course it's never solely about the megapixel, but in this case I think it would be worth noting. Both are awesome camera, just depends on how much you want to spend.

This is a ridiculous statement. You offer no reasons why the Canon is better in the slightest.

Also, it's never about the megapixels. More MP = more noise. If you're not routinely making enormous prints, then it's irrelevant at best, bad for IQ at worst.

Here's the thing, D40 has no AF so for me it's a no-go...Well no in-body motor, but if you can justify spending more money on special Nikkor lenses, be my guest ;-)

Very few lenses won't AF on a D40 body now. There's a huge selection of AF-S Nikkors and plenty of third party lenses that will AF.

I will agree that you lose the chance for some great older lenses which are affordable (80-200 2.8, 50mm 1.8, etc) but it's not the be all and end all.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
This is a ridiculous statement. You offer no reasons why the Canon is better in the slightest.

Also, it's never about the megapixels. More MP = more noise. If you're not routinely making enormous prints, then it's irrelevant at best, bad for IQ at worst.

I never claimed to offer reasons. My reasons will be different than the next guy's. I encourage the OP to do his own testing of said camera models.

And why you restated my megapixel statement, I have no idea. However, when comparing 6MP to 12MP, it does merit a bit of attention. I know that when I went from a 3.1MP point and shoot camera many years ago to an 8MP, it made a world of difference.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
I never claimed to offer reasons. My reasons will be different than the next guy's. I encourage the OP to do his own testing of said camera models.

And why you restated my megapixel statement, I have no idea. However, when comparing 6MP to 12MP, it does merit a bit of attention. I know that when I went from a 3.1MP point and shoot camera many years ago to an 8MP, it made a world of difference.

You know, maybe I was a little harsh. I have a bad habit of typing the first thought that comes into my head, and I was all ready for an angry response. A rational, polite response kind of takes the wind out of my sails a bit! So, I apologize.

However, it would be a little more helpful to give reasons why you suggest Canon, whether they're simply opinions or not.

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
OP - my advice is to hold each of them, snap a few pics etc. It's a pretty personal decision and as you are seeing in this thread there are firm feelings for both brands. You can't go wrong with either of those units.

I'm new to the hobby and I went Canon. The XSi just came out when I went searching and it was a nice unit for the price. I'm very happy with my choice to go in that direction but will likely move up to a 50D soon.

I have friends that shoot Canons and friends that shoot Nikons. It's a personal choice, gut feel, feel in the hand kind of thing. Let us know what you decide!

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
I suggest Canon because I like the form factor. For me personally, I have Canon lenses. Also, I have a history with Canon cameras, so I'm slightly biased.

From another standpoint, I don't like the Nikon UI, for whatever reason. It just didn't work for me. As Wingnut said, however, test the camera for yourself. If a camera feels uncomfortable to you, it doesn't matter what lenses are available, what brand it is, etc. You need a camera that fits you.

And I'll refrain from cracking a Harry Potter joke here...(wand/camera choosing wizard/photog) :D

Welshman: No worries mate! I know how it goes sometimes. I have many friends that shoot Nikon, no doubt they're great cameras. Almost bought a D40 myself when they came out, ended up not buying a DSLR at all, unfortunately.

OH! I don't know if the OP has considered the D40x....? That'd be a more worthy contender, especially considering the price of them online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.