Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonafide

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Is anyone else excited about the Canon Rebel Xsi 450D due out here in the next couple of weeks?

I think I'm going to go hard and pay the bucks for it as soon as it hits the shelf. Canon totally hit the nail on the head by adding live view, IS to the lens (instead of the body) and ext. dynamic range! Not to mention boosting the megapixels to 12.2!

What do you think?

Or is the older Rebels still a great purchase?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
XSi is a substantial update over XTi, but I disagree on why.
  • Although 2 extra megapixels will be useful for heavy croppers, it would only serve to increase the file size and possibly noise also (10 MP with same DIGIC III image processing engine should yield cleaner looking image at higher ISO).
  • Lens-based IS is nothing new.
  • Highlight Tone Priority mode (extended dynamic range) is nothing more than processing mode, which would be no doubt useful to some, but fairly minor feature.
  • Since Canon does not have two image sensors like Sony's DSLR-A350, live view is not quite as seamless.
My list of reasons to get excited:
  • Larger, brighter optical viewfinder with ISO speed indicator.
  • More precise spot metering mode.
  • 14-bit RAW format (more post processing headroom perhaps?).
  • Larger exposure compensation (+/- 3.0 EV vs. 2.0 from XTi).
  • Higher capacity battery.
  • Superior kit lens.

bonafide

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
  • Since Canon does not have two image sensors like Sony's DSLR-A350, live view is not quite as seamless.

I did not realize that. Thanks for the info... I'll have to research this a little further.

My list of reasons to get excited:
  • Larger, brighter optical viewfinder with ISO speed indicator.

Again, didn't know about this. (The ISO speed indicator anyways) The screen upgrade is a plus!

• Higher capacity battery.

Big news here no doubt. I've read some complaints about the older battery.

• Superior kit lens.

Agreed.

One thing you and I both forgot is:

• The option to use SD cards too! Woohoo!

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
One thing you and I both forgot is:

• The option to use SD cards too! Woohoo!

Actually, this is a turn off for me, I am set with CF, so I am going with a 40D, 30D or XTi. I am waiting a little bit longer and getting the 40D.

I can understand Canon's logic though, the XTi, XSi cameras are more an upgrade for the P&S market which seems to be using SD more than anything else, if you go over to the 30D & 40D with CF your upgrade is to the 5D or 1D models. That being said, if you move over from the XTI/XSi to the 40D etc you can invest in new memory cards, though thankfully cost wise these days it is not a show stopper.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I think memory card change does not merit much controversy. Comparable SDHC and CF cards cost about the same and both are pretty affordable these days. I picked up 8 GB SDHC card for my wife (SanDisk Extreme III) for only $40 after mail-in-rebate. On XTi or XSi camera body, there isn't much performance advantage, if any.

Unless you have substantial number of SD/SDHC or CF cards lying around, or need very large memory card capacity, I think either format is completely workable. I have marginal preference for CF format -- (1) larger physical size makes it easier for me to change in a hurry and (2) I think higher-end SLR, which many beginning SLR enthusiasts will be upgrading to eventually, will continue to use CF format. Then again, many higher-end SLRs accommodate both CF and SDHC formats and I appreciate SD/SDHC's write protection tab.

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
It is very exciting for someone looking to upgrade their P&S to a dSLR. I already have an XTi, and I love it.

I will be looking forward to the 50D or something similar when I am ready to upgrade again.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
It is very exciting for someone looking to upgrade their P&S to a dSLR. I already have an XTi, and I love it.

I will be looking forward to the 50D or something similar when I am ready to upgrade again.

Me too, or even a 60D or 5D mark III. I think that although these upgrades are exciting on a gear head level (and I totally get excited about them), on a practical level, unless you've got a lot of money to burn, they're not worth the price. You'll get a lot better return getting better lenses, lighting equipment, new software, taking a class, going on a trip than you will upgrading from the previous generation to the new one.

mitchcook

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
I would say that the switch from Compact Flash memory cards to SD cards is kind of a kick in the you know what to me... Because I have 5 gb worth of cards in Compact Flash that are totally superior to any SD cards that there are out there right now.
Compact flash is definitely superior for people who need to change cards fast, or transfer fast, and need the ruggedness of compact flash :)
It also is the largest in storage size and has the brightest future in my opinion.

Peace. Mitch.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I would say that the switch from Compact Flash memory cards to SD cards is kind of a kick in the you know what to me... Because I have 5 gb worth of cards in Compact Flash that are totally superior to any SD cards that there are out there right now.
Compact flash is definitely superior for people who need to change cards fast, or transfer fast, and need the ruggedness of compact flash :)
It also is the largest in storage size and has the brightest future in my opinion.
Perhaps you have spent significant sum on 5 GB worth of CF cards. But today, 5 GB worth of high-speed SD/SDHC cards cost far less than Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens. Since your collection stands at 5 GB, you might be interested in knowing that SDHC is available in 16 GB capacity now.

In various performance tests, unless you are comparing fastest CompactFlash against fastest SDHC, they are pretty much dead even.

Yes, due to larger size, CF is easier to handle. Whether that makes it more rugged is questionable (high-end CF cards such as SanDisk Extreme IV, are proven to be more durable in extreme weather, however).

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I can understand Canon's logic though, the XTi, XSi cameras are more an upgrade for the P&S market which seems to be using SD more than anything else

It might also have something to do with the number of people that seem to insert CF cards sideways and bend pins! (I kid you not, these people actually exist - Probably the same people that force car manufacturers to put warnings in the door mirrors).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.