Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rxl125

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
No matter what lens I use I get these black dots, especially at aperture's 7 to 32.

These pictures were taken with different lens. I've only had my camera two weeks. I keep a lens on at all times, and put a lens cap back on after each shot.
Please check them out on my web site.

http://home.comcast.net/~lyonsr1975/Site/canon.html

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
No matter what lens I use I get these black dots, especially at aperture's 7 to 32.

These pictures were taken with different lens. I've only had my camera two weeks. I keep a lens on at all times, and put a lens cap back on after each shot.
Please check them out on my web site.

http://home.comcast.net/~lyonsr1975/Site/canon.html

Looks like you have a ton of dust on your sensor. Take it to a camera store and have them clean it. (You can do it yourself but with that much dust, I wouldn't trust myself)

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
Looks like you have a ton of dust on your sensor. Take it to a camera store and have them clean it. (You can do it yourself but with that much dust, I wouldn't trust myself)

Yup, that is dust. That is the most I've ever seen though. I agree with Aperture, I wouldn't trust myself to clean it either.

rxl125

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
I bought local. One thing that I didn't think about, but makes me think now is I bought the Rebel XT body only. Inside the box there was actually a lens, the guy check the box to make sure all the necessary pieces of the camera were there. Thus he took out the lens:) Everything looked brand new to me.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I bought local. One thing that I didn't think about, but makes me think now is I bought the Rebel XT body only. Inside the box there was actually a lens, the guy check the box to make sure all the necessary pieces of the camera were there. Thus he took out the lens:) Everything looked brand new to me.

As a general rule, one thing to remember is when you are changing lenses, hold the camera body facing down to prevent more dust from getting inside.

rxl125

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
After trying for an hour with the rocket blower, I was able to get most of the dust off the sensor. Not all though. I took the camera back, and they sprayed air in on the sensor. I thought that was a no no... Anyways, they let me exchange the camera after they could not get off the dust as well. So I actually upgraded to the XTI for the dust protection. I know I will still have to clean the camera but I shouldn't have that must dust on a sensor brand new.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
After trying for an hour with the rocket blower, I was able to get most of the dust off the sensor. Not all though. I took the camera back, and they sprayed air in on the sensor. I thought that was a no no... Anyways, they let me exchange the camera after they could not get off the dust as well. So I actually upgraded to the XTI for the dust protection. I know I will still have to clean the camera but I shouldn't have that must dust on a sensor brand new.

It's generally a bad thing to spray canned air on the AA filter (which covers the sensor.) The air contains a propellant and is generally strong enough to cause problems by blowing particles into the wrong places. A squeeze blower doesn't have those problems.

Early reports of independent testing say the Canon anti-dust system actually makes things worse, you may want to learn to clean the sensor yourself, especially given what your local store considers cleaning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.