Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
I know...I know... This type of thing has been discussed before. I did a little searching and could not find anything speaking to exactly this question. Some of the info was a little dated, too. If there is something I missed, please point me in that direction, I apologize.

In any event, I'm looking into my first SLR (so I don't own any glass). I thought I had narrowed it down to the XT and the D70s, but now I think I should consider the D50 as well. I will be making a decision in early september- I want to wait out the new Nikon announcement certainly as well as the Canon rumors.

I will be using this camera for general shooting as well as outdoor hiking, climbing, mountaineering shots. On a side note, how do DSLRs like the cold? Anyway here are my current thoughts:

Canon Rebel XT:

What I liked:
Small and light (great for climbing)
8MP (I know this is not a huge advantage, but still)

What I didn't like:
Felt a little too small
Plastic!!
One adjustment dial
Battery life (shorter than Nikon)

Nikon D70s

What I liked:
Nice to hold
Solid construction
2 dials
Controls were very well laid out
Nice screen and info window
Viewfinder seemed a lot better (clearer info line etc)
Battery life

What I didn't like:
Heavier, bigger
6MP (although this would be enough)

Well anyway, is there a big reason why I should go with one over the other? I can't seem to make up my mind. Also, what are people thinking about coming updates for these two companies in the sub-$1000 class? Thanks.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
It is your choice and your choice alone. no one can decide what camera you will like. We can only give you technical information and opinions, but you already have the tech info and there was a XT vs. D70 thread recently.

Everything about the new Nikon is pure speculation except for the fact that it is going to be 10MP (Nikon's teaser states that). I haven't heard anything about Canon aside from the 22MP 1D and possible 3D.

Personally I would buy the D70s or wait to see what the new one is going to be. Reasons? Better build quality, ergonomics, and user interface. All my opinion of course.

I find it curious that you list that the Rebel XT is too light and then you state that a D70 con is that it is heavier. :confused:

You should check out some of the National Geographic photographers on assignment with all their gear. They do climbing and other physically exhausting adventures as well.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Pick your lenses (future ones too.) Then pick a body. Many companies update their lines in August/September. Nikon will go first this year, then Canon. Wait at least until the 24th of this month.

bleu813

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2006
I have a Canon 30d....I love it...I got it instead of the Rebel XT, because I felt the XT body was alittle too plastic for me...but I would wait...Nikon is coming out with a new Digital camera...possibly the D80 on August 8th or 9th I think...definitely look at the lenses...lenses are more the key than the body...lots of great sites to check out lenses...here are 2:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Default.aspx
http://photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I would either wait to see if anything else come out but if you want something right now, I would pick up the 20D because you can get some really good deals on them right now and it is just as good as the 30D.

jsfpa

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
I have the Rebel XT and I'm very happy with it. My choice was dictated by the fact I already had Canon lenses. There is a Canon forum with a lot of people that use the Rebel and above where you might be able to get some info on the Canon side of your decision.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
Yes, I will definitely wait until the end of this month to make my decision.

Regarding the two lens systems, I am not really sure which I would prefer as this will be my first SLR. What are the general pros/cons for each company's offerings? Is there a "lens 101" page somewhere? I definitely don't want to buy a camera and then figure out I would prefer the other company's system a couple years down the road.

EDIT: How much do the 20Ds go for? I would like to keep this purchase closer to $700 and certainly under $1000. Seems like most 20Ds go for $1k+

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
Get the new Nikon

I have a D70s & my friend has an XT. He freely admits that he likes my camera better. I like the lens selection Canon has. But I'm not going to buy that many lenses.

I really like my Nikon (no problems) & would recommend the D50 for the "average joe." Same lenses for both. Makes sense to save a few bucks as you learn more about photography.

Figure out which brand of lenses you want to use. Canon has a bigger selection, but Nikon lenses tend to be cheaper in my area.

If you can afford the new Nikon that'll be coming out, get that.

Good luck. Argued SLR vs. P&Shoot with a friend today. Funny how people that buy SLRs end up not using their P&S cameras anymore.

I hope you get a good camera bag. VERY important. Protect your investment. Tamrac Expedition are great bags. 7 if you're over 5'7", 5 if you're shorter. Need to try both of them on your back. I like the 7, but got the 5 so my very short girlfriend would be able to carry it too.

Good luck. People say it's an expensive hobby, but the memories I capture for my loved ones and my friends are priceless.

:)

triotary

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2005
Jay42 said:
EDIT: How much do the 20Ds go for? I would like to keep this purchase closer to $700 and certainly under $1000. Seems like most 20Ds go for $1k+

epinions.com :D I got my 20D with kit lens for less than a 1000 shipped from buydig.com

fireball jones

macrumors member
May 31, 2006
Everyone is right about picking the lenses first. Figure out what ranges/speeds you think you'd like, and then compare the costs between the two companies. While there are a lot of similar lenses on both sides, you might find it cheaper to go with one company over the other, especially as a beginner.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Look at the new D80

I guess you need to change the tile now to include the Nikon D80. If you can afford $1000 this looks like the way to go. If you can afford only 1/2 that the D50 is a great buy. I don't see any reason to buy a D70s now that the D80 is hitting the stores in September.

The 30D, 20D and D200 are in another price catagory. All higher than the new D80

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
^^Yep, done. EDIT:Oh, can't actually change the thread name...

Ok, this raises interesting choices now. The D80 looks absolutely sweet. $1300 though for the kit :eek: . I know this is not actually a bad value for a camera, but it still is a lot to spend on a first DSLR. Any speculation on what the street price will be. How different is Nikon's MSRP typically? I would like to keep this to 3 figures for a body/lens.

Are there any other important differences between the D80 and the D70s besides 4mp and .5in in screen size?

In any event, it will be interesting to see if Canon does anything to answer this. I think the current Rebel XT is due for an update, right? I think it's more than a year old at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.