Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melawesome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2007
I feel like a moron, but I can't figure out how to view the image you are taking on the lcd monitor instead of having to look through the viewfinder... is that possible? Am I just totally overlooking some sort of simple setting?

Please help!!!!!!!!!

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I feel like a moron, but I can't figure out how to view the image you are taking on the lcd monitor instead of having to look through the viewfinder... is that possible? Am I just totally overlooking some sort of simple setting?

Generally on an SLR that's not an option - you use the viewfinder. The LCD's resolution is so low that it's hard to see why a person would even want to do this. Remember, with an SLR you are looking through the lens when you use the viewfinder - so unlike the point and shoot cameras, there's no advantage to doing what you're asking about.

There was a recent dSLR that had this available - forget if it was Pentax or Sony. But it's basically a gimmick when it comes to a high quality SLR camera.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
Yeah, not an option. Honestly, if you want to take good pictures, you're much better off looking through the viewfinder. It provides more stability for the camera and makes it easier to frame your shot. The guy who posted above me is right though, the Canon EOS-1D Mark III now has a live LCD. Olympus has also announced this feature shortly after Canon. I believe the reason this wasn't possible in the past is something about the mirror or sensor obstructing something until the shutter fires.

Daniel.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I'm not really sure who was first in that feature. As a Canon user, of course I'm going to think it was Canon. :D

Well, I certainly have to admit it wasn't Nikon! :D But as you were saying (or at least implying) - it seems to be targeted at subset of the point-and-shoot crowd that has cash to burn.

I will say, though, that if the LCD can be flipped out and swivelled - there have occasionally been circumstances I've been in where that'd be handy. Some of the P&S cameras do have that feature with their LCDs. A couple months ago I was holding my D70 up in the air, trying to take a photo over a bunch of peoples' heads. I more or less guessed the angle correctly, but that's all it was - a guess.

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
I think the first to do it was neither Canon or Olympus, but Fujifilm with the S3 Pro although the live preview was B/W and lasted only 30 secs. The new S5 now offers color preview but again only for a limited time.

My guess is that by the end of this year all new DSLR's will have live preview as many users coming from the P&S field are requesting it.

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
The guy who posted above me is right though, the Canon EOS-1D Mark III now has a live LCD.

It's not the first DSLR to have such a feature, but it is the first professional DSLR with such a feature. The biggest drawback is that when live preview is turned on, autofocus is no longer possible - the mirror flips up, stopping the light from reaching the AF sensor.

It's less useful than it sounds, though, especially for the point and shoot crowd - you get a greater useful resolution out of the viewfinder than you do from any LCD, making it easier to figure out whether or not the image is correctly focused.

NinjaMonkey

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
The Olympus E-330 was the first to have fulltime liveview. It can also autofocus in live mode as well unlike the Canon.

I wouldn't call it a gimmick, it is nice to be able to shoot while holding the camera above your head or when you place the camera at a low angle (the LCD on the E330 flips out and tilts). Liveview is also nice for macro shooting. Having said that it is a waste for normal shooting and I'd never use it 100% of the time on a dslr, but writing it off as a gimmick when it does have its uses is a mistake.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004

Please help!!!!!!!!!

I'm still scared of mine. I've used it sporadically at best. :(

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I didn't know the autofocus was unavailable on the 1dMKIII

Only when live preview mode is turned on. It is possible to zoom in on part of the picture in that mode, and adjust the focus manually, however.

If live preview mode is off, the camera works as any other Canon DSLR, autofocus and all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.