Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cawesjmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Richmond, VA
Can anyone help me find out if, or what kind of threading is on the front of my S5 lens. I'm looking to try and connect it to a telescope and am wondering if it might have what I've heard is called "t-threading." I found all kinds of specs online, but I haven't found anything about the lens or its threading. Any astrophotographers, or lens gurus out there? Thanks.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I believe it's a non-standard Canon bayonet mount. I used to have the S3 and bought an adapter tube for it. From what I remember, the tube was made specifically for the Canon PnS camera lines that can take add-on lenses. The adapter tube I had made it possible to screw on anything with 52mm threading. Maybe you need one of those tubes?

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
You can get them for about $10 on eBay. Just do a search for "canon s5 adapter tube" and you'll see a bunch of offerings. Some of the tubes will give you 52mm threading and some 58mm.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Well, those $10 adapters on eBay do the same thing for a third of the price. I've purchased two of them: one for my A80 and then one for my S3. Each of them only cost $10 and worked as advertised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.