Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcruzader

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
So I got a new powershot S90 and have been playing around with it. When I decided to import the .CR2 pictures to aperture or iphoto, I get an Unsupported Image Format. Is it just me or isn't aperture and iphoto supposed to support the file format. Any ideas on what I should do? Here is a screenshot of what I get.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
So I got a new powershot S90 and have been playing around with it. When I decided to import the .CR2 pictures to aperture or iphoto, I get an Unsupported Image Format. Is it just me or isn't aperture and iphoto supposed to support the file format. Any ideas on what I should do? Here is a screenshot of what I get.

Different cameras use different RAW formats and there is always a lag between release and support by different software titles (look at the Panasonic LX3 for an extreme example - still not supported).

I use the pre-release version of Adobe DNG converter for my G11 (the S90's big brother) and convert the .cr2 to .dng files which work fine in Aperture. DNG Converter allows for storage of the original .cr2 file inside the DNG package so it can be extracted once native support is provided.

Unfortunately this is the norm for new RAW-capable cameras. Either they start to shoot DNG natively or we'll just have to put up with a gap for RAW support.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
There was already S90 beta support in Camera Raw 2.5. Just tested it in 2.7, and looks like it's working as well.

The S90 was supported in the Adobe Camera Raw 5.6RC and Lightroom 2.6RC. Do you mean these?

Or is the S90's RAW files supported natively in Aperture without conversion via DNG Converter?

sv1cec

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
Mac OS-X now supports S90 raw files (without Apple's help)

I am an S90 owner too and I was frustrated to discover that Aperture (and in general Mac OS-X offer no support for the CR2 files that the camera produces. I had to do something about it, and I think I came up with a rather elegant solution, at least a solution I can live with, until Apple gets their act together and release a newer version of the Digital Camera Support.

You can read my experiments and the solution I came up with here:

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?p=751668#post751668

I hope you find this useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.